Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laurel & Hardy fans

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
This should be brilliant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34607205

I never knew that Ricky Gervais based Tim from The Office on Hardy's mannerisms, but now I think back to a few of the scenes it makes sense. He was the sole Hardy in an office full of Laurels.

For me, L&H are still the best comedy duo of all time. Such a shame that they both basically died penniless.

Ricky got heralded too for his little glances to camera. Ollie was doing this 80 years earlier.

Heroes.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
So many comedians take ideas from them. Even the great Justin Fletcher (!) has "Hardyisms'

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Piano is pure genius. As a kid I used to love all their mini films- often shown as a double bill on BBC 2.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Love L&H, and like a previous poster, have found a lot on YouTube, which accompanies my morning coffee in Starbucks! They were ahead of their time, and still wipe the floor with virtually every other comic act in history.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Genuine comedic legends. The original double act to beat all double acts. I hope that either of the Dukes are showing these films, I'll be there like a shot.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Way Out West / Towed In A Hole is a great double bill. I find Blockheads hard to watch because Ollie was so overweight when it was made.

They're still the greatest after all these years.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
More than any other act, L&H will stand the test of time for centuries. Too good for youtube, they really should have proper TV showings.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Coincidentally, I watched "Laughing Gravy" on YouTube with my 7 yr old granddaughter last week. I've never heard her laugh so much and she didn't even ask why they were in bed together !

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My daughter loves L&H films. It was great when my mum was down at Christmas, there were three generations laughing heartily at them. The word is over-used but Stan Laurel was a comic genius, his work will live for a long time

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree that they are the best comedy duo of all time and that it is unlikely that they'll ever be bettered. Often watch them on YouTube especially if i am unwell or feeling low. They are the perfect antidote for me. I visited Stan Laurel's birthplace in the summer, Ulverston in the lake district. I was genuinely moved to stand by the house he was born in.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
More than any other act, L&H will stand the test of time for centuries. Too good for youtube, they really should have proper TV showings.

The beeb used to own rights to show many of their films but lost them in the 90's.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I went to the Sons of the Desert and County Hospital double bill shown earlier this year to celebrate Stan's 125th birthday - it was of course brilliant. Martin Freeman along with Johnny Vegas were sat in the row in front of me whilst Terry Jones was just to my right. If it's good enough for them! I think that was organised by the same person as this.

I also bought the 20 disc DVD collection which my 11 year and I are working our way through and loving every minute. For around £40 this is great box set to own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here