Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's Albion team or Hughton's Albion team

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Poyet's better on paper, Hughton's has better team spirit and better organised. This team can go behind and still win.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Thats a good point I think we had more goals in poyet s side im hoping im going to be proved wrong come the end of the season

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
One complaint levelled against Poyet's team was that we didn't have a plan B - we've certainly got one now & his name is Bobby.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Under poyet we did despatch some proper spanking s like blackpool 7 1 palace 3 0 not that im disappointed a win a win at the end of the day I would like us to hammer someone though.its definitely overdue

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Thats a good point I think we had more goals in poyet s side im hoping im going to be proved wrong come the end of the season

more pleasing on the eye but also frustrating. often poncing around passing it across the back 4 and trying to walk it in.

The odd direct ball is no bad thing. Poyet believed playing his way and his system meant everything, but we all new if we went first behind we'd never win.

Hughton understands better, its not rigid systems or ways of playing that matter, its just about scoring 1 goal more than the opposition on the day that counts.

Hughton is more flexible and a better manager

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
I feel we have better depth this time in the squad could probably do with 1 more forward.Poyets defence was class though best in the league.and its still oretty much the same bruno dunk greer

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Poyets team would play all the nice football but probably lose 2-1 to the organised and disciplined Hughton side.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If Vicente is fit and starting then I would go with Poyet's team. The combination with Wayne Bridge would leave CHs team exposed with Bruno and whoever is playing wide right concentrating on defending rather than getting forward.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Vicente, Upson, Bridge, Ulloa, Barnes, Kooshack, Buckley of old would get into a composite side along with Bruno and Greer. Of the new lot you'd probably take Kayal and Stephens.

But I'd take Hughton over Gus as boss, he has a calmer head, more nous.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Vicente, Upson, Bridge, Ulloa, Barnes, Kooshack, Buckley of old would get into a composite side along with Bruno and Greer. Of the new lot you'd probably take Kayal and Stephens.

But I'd take Hughton over Gus as boss, he has a calmer head, more nous.

Good shout but id take zamora too and solly for caskey

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
.......................TK
Bruno - Greer - Upson - Bridge
............Lopez -,Bridcutt
....Buckley - Vicente - Orlandi
....................Ulloa

Been following the Albion closely for 15 years and that's the best team of my generation. By far the best team on paper.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We know how Poyet would set out his team, and we know possession would be key. Hughton adapts his team and tactics by match.

The further we went up the league the more intelligent, fitter, and better prepared were the opposition and the game-changers used by Poyet against a tiring opposition needed to be be increasingly better. With Hughton you feel he gets more from his players because he plays to the vulnerabilities of the opposition and the strengths of his players.

And it must be a lot easier playing under Hughton. One of the main attributes needed for possession is bravery. When being pressed far easier to knock a ball over the opposition fullback than find a teammate who is also under pressure. Many on here may not have liked it but it took confidence, technique, and bravery. If you were not on top of your game, or teammates were hiding it must have been a nightmare.

They are different for sure, but I suspect Hughton makes the most of his hand. There was little wrong with Poyet's game plan though. But for a Dicker pre-season tackle it is possible the ceiling would not have been reached.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Poyets team would play all the nice football but probably lose 2-1 to the organised and disciplined Hughton side.

This. Which would annoy me. But I still preferred Poyet's team.

However, I can't help thinking that if we got to the play-offs I would fancy Hughton's side a lot more than Poyet's in a high-pressure situation.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hughton's side this year is may favorourite all time albion squad, although I do miss Vicente.

For me 'all time' does not include pre-1983 which I never saw.

Only Lloyd's side with Nelson etc. comes close.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I was a big fan of the tippy tappy, thinking it was the way forward. Swansea have done well in the prem. But judging by how sore my throat is after match days this season I am finding 4-4-2 a lot more exciting.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Under poyet we did despatch some proper spanking s like blackpool 7 1 palace 3 0 not that im disappointed a win a win at the end of the day I would like us to hammer someone though.its definitely overdue

Wow, a 6-1 and 3-0 win in two seasons, what about the spanking we received at West Ham and Liverpool. I thought Poyets football was boring. How many times backwards and forwards across the back. Poyet never scored enough goals to take us anywhere.

Both Poyet and Hughton have a defensive set up, but as forecasted by a Norwich fan who came on here when we signed CH, he said he would get results by grinding out the points, I think he was spot on. Hughtons squad looks and feels stronger than Poyets both physically and mentally.

WE have been very lucky to be following this club at this time in our lives, its an exciting time. We don't need histrionics and out spoken statements from our manager, we don't need strops, enticing young players away we need a strong character with experience of winning Championship football matches and thats what we have now got.

let the football do the talking, CH by a country mile!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here