Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sugar Tax.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think it's a great idea; we consciously cutting down on the sugar our kids consume (and it wasn't a huge amount to begin with).A sugar tax will help to concentrate minds

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I think it's just another example of pressure groups hectoring the general public. "Let's tax alcohol, lets tax sugar, lets tax trans-fats"

Fair enough none of them are actually good for you in large quantities, but here's a novel idea- why not let people actually think for themselves? Yes, more public awareness by all means, but by punitively taxing the shit out of stuff all it does is make the cost of living higher. Where does anyone realistically believe that tax will go, because it sure as shit won't go towards healthcare?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
the thing is that you don't know how much sugar is in drinks and food. 14 teaspoons in a large carton of ribena and you are only meant to have about 7 in a day

However much any sugar tax might be, it won't trouble this couple.
images

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
I think it's just another example of pressure groups hectoring the general public. "Let's tax alcohol, lets tax sugar, lets tax trans-fats"

Fair enough none of them are actually good for you in large quantities, but here's a novel idea- why not let people actually think for themselves? Yes, more public awareness by all means, but by punitively taxing the shit out of stuff all it does is make the cost of living higher. Where does anyone realistically believe that tax will go, because it sure as shit won't go towards healthcare?

The bold bits the key. The only value in the sugar tax is if it's ring fenced to pay for the increasing obesity related strains on the NHS. The tax is only a small part of the solution which needs significant education so that people can make informed decisions, and better labelling to help them make those informed decisions. I agree with Jamie Oliver on this one

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think it's a great idea, and logical. Obesity and related diseases cause far more burden on the NHS than booze and fags.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I started off disagreeing with this post, but find myself sort of agreeing with you. Ultimately, we have no control on how our taxes our spent. There is no point even pretending this money is going to be ring-fenced for healthcare, as that isn't even practical.

For me, it all comes down to how you want the nation to be taxed, and I'm afraid this is ultimately a tax on the poor and ill-educated.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I started off disagreeing with this post, but find myself sort of agreeing with you. Ultimately, we have no control on how our taxes our spent. There is no point even pretending this money is going to be ring-fenced for healthcare, as that isn't even practical.

For me, it all comes down to how you want the nation to be taxed, and I'm afraid this is ultimately a tax on the poor and ill-educated.

May as well stop taxing booze and fags as well then. Maybe it will help prevent the 'poor and ill-educated' buying coca-cola?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, more public awareness by all means, but by punitively taxing the shit out of stuff all it does is make the cost of living higher. Where does anyone realistically believe that tax will go, because it sure as shit won't go towards healthcare?

That's down to Thatcher though. She made the deliberate decision to switch from a direct form of taxation to indirect taxes. So, she drastically reduced income tax (i think basic rate used to be 33% and higher rates were 70 and even 90%) but doubled VAT and increased the duty on tobacco, booze and petrol. Successive PMs since then have been loath to reverse the change so income tax stays low while VAT and duty go ever higher.

Can't see any change to that TBH

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
May as well stop taxing booze and fags as well then. Maybe it will help prevent the 'poor and ill-educated' buying coca-cola?
I think society has got to the point where everybody knows the dangers of these two. That said, I can't help but think cigarettes are now overtaxed. It's a generalisation but I think tobacco tax is a heavy burden on a lot of people for whom cigs are their main pleasure in life.

The problem with sugar is that a lot of people just don't realise the extent to which it is dumped into cheap food. Even cornflakes for example, are dreadful - obviously I know you so I know this won't come as a surprise to you, but the sugar (and salt) content is absurd.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I think society has got to the point where everybody knows the dangers of these two. That said, I can't help but think cigarettes are now overtaxed. It's a generalisation but I think tobacco tax is a heavy burden on a lot of people for whom cigs are their main pleasure in life.

The problem with sugar is that a lot of people just don't realise the extent to which it is dumped into cheap food. Even cornflakes for example, are dreadful - obviously I know you so I know this won't come as a surprise to you, but the sugar (and salt) content is absurd.

I think you are slightly missing the point, if you tax the product the producer of that product will reduce the sugar and make more drinks available with less sugar. Its not just about getting 20p off some little kid off a council estate

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Its good in that it will highlight all the savoury foods companies are stuffing sugar into.

Examples are pasta sauces, bread, colslaw. Its one of the reasons I started cooking from scratch a few years ago.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Its good in that it will highlight all the savoury foods companies are stuffing sugar into.

Examples are pasta sauces, bread, colslaw. Its one of the reasons I started cooking from scratch a few years ago.

totally agree we have no idea how much sugar is in most products. I really like the idea of showing t-spoons on the side of tins and cans. It won't be easy but it can and should be done

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think you are slightly missing the point, if you tax the product the producer of that product will reduce the sugar and make more drinks available with less sugar. Its not just about getting 20p off some little kid off a council estate

Yeah I guess that might be true. But alternatively, if cheap shìt food can only be made with either excessive refined sugar or more horrendous stabalising E numbers, I'm not sure society wins in that situation.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
totally agree we have no idea how much sugar is in most products. I really like the idea of showing t-spoons on the side of tins and cans. It won't be easy but it can and should be done

Some of the 'healthy foods' are the worst. Low fat yogurts, for example, are teeming with sugar.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here