Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Over the Rainbow, but Under the Radar

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Whilst NSC was recovering I looked at some rivals forums and was interested to see threads on Derby and Reading's forums that are fairly unanimous in expecting us to tail off soon. This would be accepted wisdom given that our team is not full of names and that nobody gave us a chance at the beginning of the season.

Many seem to suggest that we're in a false position because we haven't played a lot of the top six. This will have some effect, but I find it surprising that this is given such import in a league where the only predictable thing is unpredictability. 'Yes,' Reading and Derby fans seem to be suggesting, 'Brighton might be top, but they have only won against teams like Rotherham and Blackburn.' Without considering which teams their own sides failed to take three points from this week.

I'm liking being top with everyone expecting us to fall off. I must admit I was guilty of looking at Burnley in the same way a couple of years ago. As none of us expected anything as good as what we've had so far, it seems like we are continuously playing the 'Who Wants to Be A Millionaire' round (£32K?) where you get a free guess without losing any money. Should it get to the stage where other fans start to think we could challenge, we'll probably be starting to feel a bit of pressure too. Whether it should get better or worse results-wise, psychologically for us fans it can't get much better than it is now.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I tend to agree with that. Really only this week, after BZ's second winner in four days, did you start getting even a sniff of things on Sky Sports News and talkSPORT about 'can Brighton go up?'

We seem to be top without a huge amount of pressure at the moment, and the points stashed away now are worth as much as any later on so long may that continue.

There will be a bad run at some point, and we have got some tough fixtures coming up. It also worries me a little bit that we aren't winning more matches by 2 or 3 goals, because personally I would expect that from a team in our position if it was a 'true' reflection. It wouldn't take a huge shift in form/luck to see some of those wins turn to draws, as we saw in that run of three, or even defeats.

I think Boro, Derby and Reading are the three I'd be looking out for but people are giving Birmingham no chance and arguably they have the best manager, he's done a fantastic job.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I tend to agree with that. Really only this week, after BZ's second winner in four days, did you start getting even a sniff of things on Sky Sports News and talkSPORT about 'can Brighton go up?'

We seem to be top without a huge amount of pressure at the moment, and the points stashed away now are worth as much as any later on so long may that continue.

There will be a bad run at some point, and we have got some tough fixtures coming up. It also worries me a little bit that we aren't winning more matches by 2 or 3 goals, because personally I would expect that from a team in our position if it was a 'true' reflection. It wouldn't take a huge shift in form/luck to see some of those wins turn to draws, as we saw in that run of three, or even defeats.

I think Boro, Derby and Reading are the three I'd be looking out for but people are giving Birmingham no chance and arguably they have the second best manager, he's done a fantastic job.

Slight correction, if you don't mind...........

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I would hope that one of are resident stattos has done some analysis which shows it's the form of the teams when you meet them that matters more than the league position at the time as that's the way this division largely seems to work.

Middlesbrough have won 5 of their 6 home league games. In 4 of those 5 they scored 3 goals, in the other they won 2-0. But they've also lost one, and that was to Bristol City. They're now having a 'Brighton October' having lost two and drawn one and have failed to score. They won't be looking forward to going to Wolves this weekend.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Last season when we were languishing towards the lower depths of the table the general consensus on here was that the table doesn't lie. Surely the same can be true this season? The squad has a certain togetherness about it and from the start of the season I've been saying this season is ours if we all want it enough.
To be honest I don't look at the gap between us and second, but us and third, 6 points now. The argument that we've only beaten lower sides is irrelevant anyway, we can only beat what's put in front of us, and while other sides in the chasing pack have lost to lower sides we remain unbeaten.
The season is long but the dream of promotion is well and truly alive this year, long may that remain. Remember, the table doesn't lie!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's not in the slightest bit surprising that fans of other teams look at us in that way and expect us to tail off. I'd be the same if a team who were struggling last season started so well this time around. I don't find that offensive whatsoever. It's entirely reasonable. Plenty of teams have started seasons brilliantly, only to fade later on (look at Forest last year).

In fact, if I'm being completely honest (and perhaps this is the product of more than twenty five years worth of following the Albion) I still half expect the bubble to burst myself :)

The only thing that's mildly amusing about it is that it should be Reading fans who consider us to be in a false position, whilst, in contrast, seemingly believing their own good form to be an accurate barometer of their likely final position. That's Reading who finished- I believe- a massive one place above us last year.

Yoda

English & European
It also worries me a little bit that we aren't winning more matches by 2 or 3 goals,

I keep seeing this, but remember. Although we're only winning by 1 goal each time, it's not due to a lack of scoring goals. Only QPR & Birmingham have scored more than us, and even then only one more each.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I keep seeing this, but remember. Although we're only winning by 1 goal each time, it's not due to a lack of scoring goals. Only QPR & Birmingham have scored more than us, and even then only one more each.

This helps too.
[tweet]645347881436729344[/tweet]

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's not in the slightest bit surprising that fans of other teams look at us in that way and expect us to tail off. I'd be the same if a team who were struggling last season started so well this time around. I don't find that offensive whatsoever. It's entirely reasonable. Plenty of teams have started seasons brilliantly, only to fade later on (look at Forest last year).

In fact, if I'm being completely honest (and perhaps this is the product of more than twenty five years worth of following the Albion) I still half expect the bubble to burst myself :)

The only thing that's mildly amusing about it is that it should be Reading fans who consider us to be in a false position, whilst, in contrast, seemingly believing their own good form to be an accurate barometer of their likely final position. That's Reading who finished- I believe- a massive one place above us last year.

Have to say, I think Reading fans are justified in what they think, a bit like us they are nothing like last season's team. They had a great window, bringing in real quality especially up front and out wide. Getting Michael Hector back on loan was a coup, and everyone thought Anton Ferdinand was finished but he's played very well when he's played this season. In great form and genuine top two contenders IMHO. The game on Oct 31 is huge, biggest of the season so far.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Whilst NSC was recovering I looked at some rivals forums and was interested to see threads on Derby and Reading's forums that are fairly unanimous in expecting us to tail off soon. This would be accepted wisdom given that our team is not full of names and that nobody gave us a chance at the beginning of the season.

Do you think we might become the new Burnley ?

Does that mean in the January window we make a move for ............ no, we couldn't ......... could we ?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This thing that keeps popping up saying we haven't beaten anyone in the top 6 is starting to annoy me. For a start, I seem to recall that when we beat Ipswich away followed by Hull at home, both those games were 1st v 2nd. There is a reason teams we have beaten are not in the top 6, and that reason is partly because we've beaten them.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
we're in a false position because we haven't played a lot of the top six.

We beat ipswich when 2nd and hull when 2nd so not exactly just been playing the poor teams. Not too surprising that after only 12 games, where we have beaten a lot of teams, those teams are not in top few spots...

Perhaps when we beat reading away they will have a bit more respect :wink:

Not being unrealistic at the moment, but to be in a promotion chasing spot come the January window could be vital to our chances of securing promotion standard players to help get us over the line....What a sweet change from last season!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Good stat that had passed me by until now, which is strange because I'm forever comparing our conceded tally with other challengers.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I can understand Derby's fans being a bit sceptical, but Reading's???? Ok, they bought some good players in and pissed a shed load of money Watford's way for Vydra's loan but really ... Reading??? Everyone will have a pretty good idea how their seasons are going to pan out after the next 9/10 games but I have to say I'd just love it if we managed to beat ****ing Reading away.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Also, it wasn't all that long ago that Derby were trying to buy Dale Stephens for lots of money - they can't be THAT unimpressed with our team.

el punal

This thing that keeps popping up saying we haven't beaten anyone in the top 6 is starting to annoy me. For a start, I seem to recall that when we beat Ipswich away followed by Hull at home, both those games were 1st v 2nd. There is a reason teams we have beaten are not in the top 6, and that reason is partly because we've beaten them.
It's so hard to beat a top side when you're number 1. :whistle:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If you mean Barnes I thought he was out for the season so a pretty pointless idea

Spoke to the angry sandy ballbag himself Sean Dyche recently, he said Barnesy was back "hopefully by Christmas".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here