Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Small Claims Court

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Has anyone ever been or done money claim online?

Basically I'm owed two weeks wages by an employer who is refusing to pay me because I left early. Are emails enough to prove I'm owed two weeks wages?

Thinking of doing money claim online as might scare him and it will only cost about 100 or so

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove

Basically I'm owed two weeks wages by an employer who is refusing to pay me because I left early. Are emails enough to prove I'm owed two weeks wages?

Thinking of doing money claim online as might scare him and it will only cost about 100 or so

I did this a few years ago over a dispute with BT (it's done via the courts in Northampton, I think). As I remember it, I didn't have to prove anything to make the application. Proof / argument happens if the claim is contested. It normally won't be if the other party knows they're in the wrong. I may have mis-remembered this or it may have changed... but it was simple and (in my case) effective. Do it!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've done a good few of these for non-payment, you must ensure your employer is acknowledging you are owed the money or have good grounds to support your claim, feel free to PM me if you wish

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Yes. Although in my case it was due to a loan to a friend.

Civil claims are decided on basis of probability as opposed to the 'beyond reasonable doubt' applied to criminal cases, so emails etc. should be useful evidence. Also, as you've put, the chances are that the person that owes you money will just pay up when he/she realises that you're willing to take the legal route.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I've had to do it a couple of times, and actually starting the process was all that was needed for a couple of clients that didn't pay me. I think the charge was something like £86 to start a claim which is added to the claimed amount if your successful. In my case, the letter that the court sent out with dates prompted both parties to pay in both cases, so I was lucky and didn't need to attended court or anything, and I got the £86 too as it was added to the amount they needed to pay. It wasn't really the client's fault to be honest, in both cases they were struggling with a queue of creditors, I think this action just put me at the top of the list.

Any correspondence, notes of conversations, or any other documents are all relevant to your claim, and you'll be asked to set out your case. If there really is little grounds for them not paying you, then like my own experience, you may find this is enough to prompt your employer to sort this out without the hassle of going to court.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
We did this a few years ago when a dishwasher we'd bought leaked and ruined our kitchen floor.

We'd paid the company we bought it from to plumb it in/fit it and had a report from their own engineer stating that it was the incorrect installation that caused the damage. Despite all this (and numerous letters, emails etc) they refused to pay. So we did the online claim thing, added the cost to the claim and got a cheque for the full amount two weeks later.

It's clearly company policy with a lot of firms to refuse to pay out, hoping you'll give up, until you take it to this stage despite knowing they're in the wrong and that if you can be bothered to pursue it you'll win.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yes emails are legal documents.

If you do a small claim, before you do, you need to send him an invoice and include this wording below.

I am now writing to formally demand payment of the amount detailed above within 7 days from the date of this letter.

Should payment of the invoice not be forthcoming within this period of time, I will issue civil proceedings against you without further notice.

I also put you on notice that I will be claiming statutory interest under the Late Payment of Commercial Debts Act 1998 at the rate of the Bank of England base rate plus 8%, calculated on a daily basis from the end of the credit period which was agreed with you.

If civil proceedings are issued against you, a claim will also be made for statutory interest on the amount outstanding calculated as detailed above and also court costs.

I hope that, despite the clear intention of this letter, legal proceedings may be avoided and we look forward to receiving full payment within the time stated.

It is only when the payment isn't made after 7 days that you should then go on to the small claims.

Hopefully, if he knows that you are in the right, he would be stupid not to pay you. Or he may offer a settlement figure which you can accept or not. If it does go to small claims and you win, he is also liable to pay your small claims cost.

Last edited:

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Yes emails are legal documents.

If you do a small claim, before you do, you need to send him an invoice and include this wording below.

I am now writing to formally demand payment of the amount detailed above within 7 days from the date of this letter.

Should payment of the invoice not be forthcoming within this period of time, I will issue civil proceedings against you without further notice.

I also put you on notice that I will be claiming statutory interest under the Late Payment of Commercial Debts Act 1998 at the rate of the Bank of England base rate plus 8%, calculated on a daily basis from the end of the credit period which was agreed with you.

If civil proceedings are issued against you, a claim will also be made for statutory interest on the amount outstanding calculated as detailed above and also court costs.

I hope that, despite the clear intention of this letter, legal proceedings may be avoided and we look forward to receiving full payment within the time stated.

It is only when the payment isn't made after 7 days that you should then go on to the small claims.

Hopefully, if he knows that you are in the right, he would be stupid not to pay you. Or he may offer a settlement figure which you can accept or not. If it does go to small claims and you win, he is also liable to pay your small claims cost.

Brilliant I'll send that - should i put the interest on the invoice as well or is that only paid if it goes to court?

Cheers

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A word of warning. I took an employer to court because he stopped my final pay cheque on the day I left his employment. I took him to court and won (he didn't have a leg to stand on, his excuse was that I was going to a competitor) but he refused to pay even after the court judgment so there was little more I could do.

The Glaswegian who ran the cab company we used did offer to send a few boys around with baseball bats and bike chains but I thought that was a step too far.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Brilliant I'll send that - should i put the interest on the invoice as well or is that only paid if it goes to court?

Cheers

No problem.

No don't include interest at this stage. Send the letter as an email attachment rather than post it. (Select- Request a Read Receipt in your email options)

This letter will just force him to formally respond and layout his exact position, and you would use it as a legal document if you go to small claims.

If you have any questions later down the line let me know, but just make sure that you are confident that you are owed it when you start the claim. He may or may not respond with very good reasons not to pay.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
A word of warning. I took an employer to court because he stopped my final pay cheque on the day I left his employment. I took him to court and won (he didn't have a leg to stand on, his excuse was that I was going to a competitor) but he refused to pay even after the court judgment so there was little more I could do.

The Glaswegian who ran the cab company we used did offer to send a few boys around with baseball bats and bike chains but I thought that was a step too far.

This is where the bailiffs can get involved. So there definitely is more you can do (legally) for someone that doesn't pay up after receiving a county court judgement.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I claimed with just a verbal contract for an uncompleted contract and the solcitors acting on their behalf paid up in full, (with interest calculated by my solicitor) at the last moment. £1600. I waited over 6 months with nothing happening at all. The headed notepaper may have counted.

I was too much trouble even back then but I had already paid for materials on credit in expectation of income so I was seriously out of pocket. .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is where the bailiffs can get involved. So there definitely is more you can do (legally) for someone that doesn't pay up after receiving a county court judgement.

The bailiffs went round but they have no right of entry. He just refused to let them in. I got a letter back from the court saying that despite my winning the case, there was going to be no monies forthcoming.

I'd be very reluctant to use small claims again - it wasted a lot of time and I got nothing out of it

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
L
The bailiffs went round but they have no right of entry. He just refused to let them in. I got a letter back from the court saying that despite my winning the case, there was going to be no monies forthcoming.

I'd be very reluctant to use small claims again - it wasted a lot of time and I got nothing out of it
Really? My understanding was that bailiffs in possession of a CCJ could legally take goods of value to cover the debt and their costs.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
L
Really? My understanding was that bailiffs in possession of a CCJ could legally take goods of value to cover the debt and their costs.

I have no idea what happened. All I know is that I got a letter from the court saying that the bailiffs had been unable to extract payment and, sorry, there was going to be no money forthcoming.

The guy concerned did know every trick in the book though. He refused to pay tax and NI for any of his employees (although it was deducted at source). We found by accident and reported to the Revenue but, years later, we discovered that he was still employing people and not paying tax or NI. I think he was pretty untouchable.

I think most people will pay up under pressure from the court but some people know every scam going and if OP's ex-employer is one of them, he'll have a fruitless task

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Done it lots of times, in the dark ages ( before computers). You sometimes get your money, sometimes you don't. The only thing to console yourself with is the CCJ they get on their credit file if you don't receive payment.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

When you send the money claim on-line, don't forget to ask for a reference :thumbsup:

(Incidentally - I'm slightly confused. Exactly how "early" did you leave?).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here