Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Britain's shame... how did we forget how to make things ?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Bet you half a cheese roll you don't :p

But seriously that would be equally inaccurate but any government that claimed to have abolished boom and bust and been responsible for bank regulation for more than a decade should not be absolved of any responsibility I'm sure you would agree.

Half a cheese roll? I could run to that.

But I'll agree that none of these things are as simple as some people seem to think.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
disingenuous? you're making a distinction between make/assemble/manufacture, i was just highlighting an interesting information on this countries car industry. i'm well aware that cars are "assembled", this is still counts as manufacturing. while your beloved Germany may be better at maintaining supply chain within the country, its still imports components made abroad, including UK (brake, lights and cats spring to mind).
No it means we're the middle man doing the donkey work....Well at least it's jobs here anyway :)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Raw material costs? (more available locally rather than imported in or far cheaper to import them into foreign countries as they don't have to be shipped so far at a cost)
Staffing costs? (cheaper labour keeps the end costs down)
Market forces ? (the global price is almost always cheaper than we can produce items in the country, even with shipping it can still be cheaper. In the past we would have introduced tariffs to increase that price and make our manufactured products cost around the same or even less than these imports but we have a free market now so no tariffs to protect our industry)
Export costs? (making it here and shipping abroad may make it more expensive than locally manufactured items make in or closer to the country we want to export to)
and so on....

I get all that, but Germany and Italy, for example, manage it.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
every thing I've bought in France in the last 8 years has broken

but i have a fridge that must be what 20 plus years old still going

made in Great Britain :thumbsup:

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
So that could mean a decline or it could mean a more diverse economy, which isn't reliant on one sector but spread over many, making your Country more able to cope in difficult times as it doesn't rely on one sector which could have a volatile period where demand slumps (so we haven't put all our eggs into one basket)

The decline in percentage in employment could be again due to diversification of the job markets as new sectors are introduced and expand or it could also be affected by automation (robots used to make cars instead of by hand)

You could still get these sorts of figures with your manufacturing sector growing over the same time scale and therefore these charts could be misleading

Maybe you don't read all the posts?

I already made the point that, contrary to what practically every poster on here believes (because they've been told it), the value of UK manufacturing has continued to steadily increase. It's more than double now what it was in 1950, though most of that growth took place prior to 2000.

What has happened is that the non-manufacturing sectors in the economy have grown faster, so as a % of GDP manufacturing gets smaller and smaller. The same with % employment.

One of the main reasons for posting those two previous charts is to show un-believers that what has happened to manufacturing in the UK is no different from what has happened in every major industrial nation, and that economically speaking and in general terms, those trends are a good thing. But I will never succeed in that because people are just not interested in seeing anything that doesn't confirm their prejudice.

So it will have made no difference whatsoever that I posted a chart showing that the value of UK manufacturing output has been growing and therefore is at its all-time high. I doubt it's changed the opinion of one person, despite them being able to see it and check it.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Maybe you don't read all the posts?

I already made the point that, contrary to what practically every poster on here believes (because they've been told it), the value of UK manufacturing has continued to steadily increase. It's more than double now what it was in 1950, though most of that growth took place prior to 2000.

What has happened is that the non-manufacturing sectors in the economy have grown faster, so as a % of GDP manufacturing gets smaller and smaller. The same with % employment.

One of the main reasons for posting those two previous charts is to show un-believers that what has happened to manufacturing in the UK is no different from what has happened in every major industrial nation, and that economically speaking and in general terms, those trends are a good thing. But I will never succeed in that because people are just not interested in seeing anything that doesn't confirm their prejudice.

So it will have made no difference whatsoever that I posted a chart showing that the value of UK manufacturing output has been growing and therefore is at its all-time high. I doubt it's changed the opinion of one person, despite them being able to see it and check it.

So you've said the same sort of thing that i've said in the quote you posted, is it my turn to explain it again, saying the same thing or yours?

So that could mean a decline or it could mean a more diverse economy, which isn't reliant on one sector but spread over many, making your Country more able to cope in difficult times as it doesn't rely on one sector which could have a volatile period where demand slumps (so we haven't put all our eggs into one basket)

The decline in percentage in employment could be again due to diversification of the job markets as new sectors are introducedand expand
or it could also be affected by automation (robots used to make cars instead of by hand)

You could still get these sorts of figures with your manufacturing sector growing over the same time scale and therefore these charts could be misleading

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
disingenuous? you're making a distinction between make/assemble/manufacture, i was just highlighting an interesting information on this countries car industry. i'm well aware that cars are "assembled", this is still counts as manufacturing. while your beloved Germany may be better at maintaining supply chain within the country, its still imports components made abroad, including UK (brake, lights and cats spring to mind).

According to a 2012 study, about 40% of the components (by value) in a British-made car are sourced domestically.
By contrast, in Germany and France about 60% of parts come from the domestic supply chain.

But taking into account components, the automotive sector as a whole is still a large net importer.

Whilst car output and exports may be rising, this sucks in more imported components. It's not simply about the number of shiny cars off the line, it's about the amount of British componentry under the bonnet.
"And the problem there is the cars in the 1970s were basically 100% British. And the percentage is now much lower.

"If you correct for the imported content, we will still only be producing something around two-thirds the value of output that we produced in the 1970s, and indeed probably significantly less than we produced in the late 1990s."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here