Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Britain's shame... how did we forget how to make things ?

5 Not allowed!
    It's been a rather awful few days for me watching Cameron and Osborne suck up to the Chinese president. So, we are unable to build our own nuclear power stations unless we get help from the French and Chinese and of course, they then have the opportunity to make money out of us as the electricity generated is going to cost us a darn sight more than present.

A month or so back we were sucking up to the Japanese to build our trains for us too so where did it go wrong ? Soon we will lose what remains of our UK Steel industry too ( although its almost all owned by overseas companies ), when it's gone you can't bring it back.

If you look at the Victorians they built infrastructure and built it to last and with some style as a bonus, nowadays about the best we can make is coffee. We have now signed a deal which saves China the inconvenience of targetting us with a few missiles as soon we will have 3 working nuclear bombs in place to save them the bother.

When Michael Gove declared that Jeremy Corbyn was " An enemy of the State" for his declared views on nuclear weapons had he not considered DC's shameful sellout ?
    I had run 17 miles from Grayshades before the school leopard caught me.....

" Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom "
    Terry Pratchett 1948 – 2015

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by vegster View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It's been a rather awful few days for me watching Cameron and Osborne suck up to the Chinese president. So, we are unable to build our own nuclear power stations unless we get help from the French and Chinese and of course, they then have the opportunity to make money out of us as the electricity generated is going to cost us a darn sight more than present.

A month or so back we were sucking up to the Japanese to build our trains for us too so where did it go wrong ? Soon we will lose what remains of our UK Steel industry too ( although its almost all owned by overseas companies ), when it's gone you can't bring it back.

If you look at the Victorians they built infrastructure and built it to last and with some style as a bonus, nowadays about the best we can make is coffee. We have now signed a deal which saves China the inconvenience of targetting us with a few missiles as soon we will have 3 working nuclear bombs in place to save them the bother.

When Michael Gove declared that Jeremy Corbyn was " An enemy of the State" for his declared views on nuclear weapons had he not considered DC's shameful sellout ?
      It's something I've often wondered about too, when exactly did Britain get bad at making things. I've been around the world a little bit and when ever I come back to the UK it's something I find very noticeable. Reminds me of the IT crowd joke with the 'made in Britain' stickers.
      Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

2 Not allowed!
      Nonsense - our economy is diverse and thriving. We're making a balls up, we're make a hash and we're making a pig's ear. What more do you want?
      "Brighton have taken 4 points off us this season, you do realise that innit, they've taken 4 points off Arsenal Football Club. Brighton and Hove Albion have taken 4 points off ARSENAL FOOTBALL CLUB. Let that sink in. Let that sink in. Let. That. Sink. In blud. F*cking Brighton. Pebbles and sticks of f*cking rock. Pebbles and sticks of rock, blud. That's what they're f*cking known for."

2 Not allowed!
      Thatcher and Blair.

Anything after them, the horse had already bolted, to be absolutely fair to the current shower.

I loathe the fact that the Tories can use Blair as an example of Labour running down industry when we all know that Blair is far closer to them than he is to the current Labour Party.

0 Not allowed!
      We are just cheap tarts hanging around at the bar waiting for the next high roller to come in then go all gooey eyed when they get their wallet out.
      I had run 17 miles from Grayshades before the school leopard caught me.....

" Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom "
      Terry Pratchett 1948 – 2015

0 Not allowed!
      I was thinking about this the other day, not so much making stuff but inventing stuff. Most of the stuff we as a country invented has been given away, developed and built by America.
      The last few things I can think of that were actually invented and built in this country were the wind up radio followed by Mr Dysons Vacuum cleaner.

Exiled amongst the red and white, at the wrong end of the A/M27. (P)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.........Time to die.

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by spring hall convert View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Thatcher and Blair.

Anything after them, the horse had already bolted, to be absolutely fair to the current shower.

I loathe the fact that the Tories can use Blair as an example of Labour running down industry when we all know that Blair is far closer to them than he is to the current Labour Party.
      Goes much further back than that. Possibly 1920s-30s though the war offered a stay of execution and broken rade patterns meant we continued to make many of our doestic items into the 1950s. Fron there you are lookig at failure to modernise, failure to observe trends for exports, poor labour relations, poor management, end of Empire which allowed Dominions to make their own choices, poor government procurement policies, oil price rises in the 1970s. One interesting factor is the role of the stock market, firms have always been encouraged to float to expand which opens them up to hotile takeovers from abroad. unlike the French we don't protect valuable home industries.

5 Not allowed!
      Add to that an educational system which puts more emphasis on classics than engineering. That comes from a Public School educated elite.

2 Not allowed!
      And while this is going on, we're letting another UK industry slip through our fingers.

Just because current economic factors make importing steel right now a more viable option, doesn't mean that will always be the case. We let these industries go, and in 5 or 10 years when the economic dynamics change we realise we're held to ransom on all our steel importing.

We rescued the bankers, didn't really punish them, or impose any punitive restrictions, and yet we cannot save the steel industry that thousands in this country rely on. Letting this go is a short term saving that will have long term consequences. After all the lessons we should have learned about the loss of our industries through our recent history, and yet we appear to be repeating the same mistakes.
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

1 Not allowed!
      we make pleanty of things, tend to be higher end tech that isnt so well known, or its designed here for manufacture on large scale plants elsewhere. all your mobiles and tablets will be using ARM designed chips.

people want to pay less for goods so companies pay less for components and materials. we dont make steel as cheap as elsewhere, then Chinese overproducing dumps the price, so the industry suffers. do you expect a company to continue to subsidise a loss making factory, if so for how long? Redcar has lost some 1bn in 3-4 years iirc, its simply not a viable factory. that said in the case of steel there is a case for strategic manufacturing, but then this is already being addressed by large subs. what you are seeing is companies looking for a hand out while its a news story.

end of the day, generaly, we the consumer have voted on where we want prodcuts made and chosen where ever is cheapest.
      The English know how to make the best of things. Their so-called muddling through is simply skill at dealing with the inevitable.