Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

teacher presents at half term....

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The wife just asked me what we should get our six year olds teacher as a gift for half term....

W.T.F....

When did this start ?

I am not a adverse to a gift at christmas or end of year as a thank you, but come on....

The wife assures me other parents do this... Do they ?

It just seems too much and possibly not fair on families that all ready struggle with finances to have more expectations on them and their children to match the other kids. I see supermarkets already have cashed in with cards at the end of the year handily placed near chocolate or wine....

Come on does this go on, I don't agree...

But will ultimately be bypassed...

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
No way. Token gift at the end of the year and that is it. This is just parent trying to out do each other and keeping up with the Jones's. It will be presents at then end of each week before we know it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Surely the teacher can not accept it? It is a conflict of interest and could be seen as bribary.

Can they accept Christmas presents and thanks you's at the end of the year?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As the beneficiary of a teacher's presents, I can confirm that Christmas and/or end of year is the norm. If/when you do buy your kids' teachers a gift, they (and their other halves) much prefer something alcoholic (obviously you'll have to bring this in for them) as there are only so many boxes of matchmakers you can eat. Cheers.

As the beneficiary of a teacher's presents, I can confirm that Christmas and/or end of year is the norm. If/when you do buy your kids' teachers a gift, they (and their other halves) much prefer something alcoholic (obviously you'll have to bring this in for them) as there are only so many boxes of matchmakers you can eat. Cheers.

Intrigued to hear what the wierdest gift was.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I was given a mug, embossed with Happy Christmas, 20 years back by a 10 year old pupil. Next day I was summoned by the Head and was told I had to hand over the present, as I it could be seen as a bribe. The truth of the matter was the words on the gift rather than the gift itself. I was in Riyadh and the walls had eyes.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Shirley ONLY in September when people move on to "pastures new" . I'm a teacher and never heard of half term pressies

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I went out with a teacher for 9 years. Jimminy Cricket! Did she bring back some shite. I remember one year she arrived home with a skull that had fake crystal eyes and a dragon crawling out of it's mouth. But mostly it was chocolates and the odd bottle of grog.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Never heard of half term presents before and I'm a teacher too. Unless the teacher is leaving or going on maternity I wouldn't bother. Did get a bottle wine last year from a year 7 who i'd send out on average once every three lessons for being a pain and did get a mug a few years back from some year 8s who spent every PSE lesson arguing their opinions on the subject. I don't expect it but it is nice when it geniunely comes from the pupils not parents on a mission of getting one over every one else.

If you really have to go for a touch of irony and give an apple.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
My mate is a geography teacher in Qatar - There is only about 8 pupils in each of his classes but the kids are all sons and daughters of Sheiks or Royal family members. One of the kids brought him in a gift at the end of term time. It was a fu**ing baby lioness..............Match that if you can. The bit I cant get is what the fu*k was his father thinking letting him take it in to school. And no he didn't accept it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have been teaching a very long time and have never received half-termly presents.

It doesn't happen.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My mate is a geography teacher in Qatar - There is only about 8 pupils in each of his classes but the kids are all sons and daughters of Sheiks or Royal family members. One of the kids brought him in a gift at the end of term time. It was a fu**ing baby lioness..............Match that if you can. The bit I cant get is what the fu*k was his father thinking letting him take it in to school. And no he didn't accept it.

There are only about 8 pupils in each class.

No need to thank me, it's my job.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We've got small presents for a couple of TAs, but that's a personal thing. Not for teachers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here