Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toilets on trains

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I caught a train in Worthing last night that was going Southampton to Brighton why does a train doing such a journey not have any toilets on it? Should it not be a pre requisute of the licence to provide this?

albionite

May 20, 2009
I caught a train in Worthing last night that was going Southampton to Brighton why does a train doing such a journey not have any toilets on it? Should it not be a pre requisute of the licence to provide this?

You're talking bollocks again bg, unless you mean toilets out of order.

313s are the trains without toilets and they don't go to Southampton

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Aren't they like petrol stations - you need to ask a manager for a key?

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Usually the Southampton ones do have loos (unless they are both locked out of service at the time) but the Portsmouth ones are mostly operated by the ageing Class 313's which do not. I agree that trains which run more than an hour end to end should have loos, but the Franchise Agreement - which is what I presume you mean by "the licence" - does not seem to make any requirements in this regard. I doubt anything will change too quickly until some funded plan is implemented to withdraw and replace the 313's.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You're talking bollocks again bg, unless you mean toilets out of order.

313s are the trains without toilets and they don't go to Southampton

I can assure you that the 1752 from West Worthing to Brighton had 4 walk through carriages and no toilets on it. I think it came from Southampton.

albionite

May 20, 2009
If it came from Southampton with 4 coaches it would of had 2 toilets both of the middle coaches, maybe you need glasses

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I walked from the driver down the train to the back and if it had a toilet it was disguised as a carriage joining compartment.

The train company have put some metal boxes near the doors for use instead,work fine for number two but you have to be quick if having a wizz to avoid mission leak

they look a bit like rubbish bins......i think its a cut back/austerity thing

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Yes the four coach trains which have both 1st and standard class have 2 toilets, which are in the idle 2 carriages. One is a large wheelchair-accessible loo with a curved sliding door and the other is a small cubicle to the side of one of the gangway ends. It's not impossible for at least one of them to be out of order, usually because the retention tank is full or it has run out of water, but they would both be present. It's only the 3 carriage trains with no 1st class that also have no loos fitted.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
tena%20for%20men%20level%202.jpg

job's a goodun

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The Brighton-Portsmouth trains don't have toilets, but the journey is only an hour in total. When I am going to Pompey, I make sure I go, before I go.

Yoda

English & European
I can assure you that the 1752 from West Worthing to Brighton had 4 walk through carriages and no toilets on it. I think it came from Southampton.

The only train that do not have any loo's are the 313's as said, they are ALL configured as 3 coach MEU's. NONE of them are 4 coaches long.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here