Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team (in the broader sense) spirit

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As Bobby Zamora left the pitch last night he gave a massive embrace to Nathan Jones waiting on the sideline, and it made me reflect on just how much positive team spirit we now seem to have, and how that extends beyond the playing squad itself to the likes of Jones, Paul Watson and even Adam Brett the physio/medical chap.

It's this sort of thing that will serve us very well when the going gets tough, and it surely will, and is wonderful to see.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As Bobby Zamora left the pitch last night he gave a massive embrace to Nathan Jones waiting on the sideline, and it made me reflect on just how much positive team spirit we now seem to have, and how that extends beyond the playing squad itself to the likes of Jones, Paul Watson and even Adam Brett the physio/medical chap.

It's this sort of thing that will serve us very well when the going gets tough, and it surely will, and is wonderful to see.

No loanees............and several guys who seem genuinely happy to be here, and chaps like Calde and Booby in the dressing room. All bodes well......

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yep. That intangible thing that counts for so much. Guy Butters spoke about it after the Leeds match. It seems Zamora has been instrumental - which is strange as he was apparently rather quiet in the Oatway/Cullip/Butters era.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Yep. That intangible thing that counts for so much. Guy Butters spoke about it after the Leeds match. It seems Zamora has been instrumental - which is strange as he was apparently rather quiet in the Oatway/Cullip/Butters era.

Everyone is quiet compared to Charlie and Cullip. Bobby might be very loud compared to what we had before. All conjecture but the spirit appears to be great at the moment.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
With what both of you have said. My slight quibble is with Bozza, as it's not so much about it will serve us when the going gets tough. The going has been tough, and it has served has. It certainly looked tough last night when we were behind (for only the second time this season), but that team spirit certainly assisted in pulling us through. To say this is by no means to limit the extent to which it was the skill and nous of the players, and the coherence and togetherness they've developed on the pitch.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Calde ran about 60 yards to celebrate Bobby's goal last night in his subs bib........not sure I've seen a sub do that in a 'normal' game before.........

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

A good example of that was the Ipswich game giving up a two goal lead after playing them off the park for 45 minutes. When the Ipswich equalizer went in and the crowd were roaring them on lesser teams might have panicked and rolled over to an inevitable defeat. Instead we seemed to find a steely resolve and went after the winner which duly arrived within minutes. Great scenes at the end with the players seemingly genuinely delighted and united as a happy squad unit. Long may it continue.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Calde ran about 60 yards to celebrate Bobby's goal last night in his subs bib........not sure I've seen a sub do that in a 'normal' game before.........

I noticed that too. I just put down to Calde being Calde. It was an impressive sight though

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
A good example of that was the Ipswich game giving up a two goal lead after playing them off the park for 45 minutes. When the Ipswich equalizer went in and the crowd were roaring them on lesser teams might have panicked and rolled over to an inevitable defeat. Instead we seemed to find a steely resolve and went after the winner which duly arrived within minutes. Great scenes at the end with the players seemingly genuinely delighted and united as a happy squad unit. Long may it continue.

Yeah lesser teams like us last season. Although we wouldn't have been 0-2 up obviously.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Didn't he do that at Forest when Ulloa score his header, or was that LuaLua?

I've heard that Stockdale is a very positive influence in the dressing room too.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Didn't he do that at Forest when Ulloa score his header, or was that LuaLua?

It was ANDREA ORLANDI, who having been subbed off, was warming down, the far side of the pitch from where Ulloa celebrated the goal. Andrea didn't run ROUND the pitch like Calde last night though - he ran directly across the penalty area to join in the bundle, as though he'd forgotted he wasn't still playing.

Bless him.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I always think a bit of a sign is, when no matter who scores, the whole team will celebrate with them

We have that this year but I don't remember much last

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It was ANDREA ORLANDI, who having been subbed off, was warming down, the far side of the pitch from where Ulloa celebrated the goal. Andrea didn't run ROUND the pitch like Calde last night though - he ran directly across the penalty area to join in the bundle, as though he'd forgotted he wasn't still playing.

Bless him.

Earning himself a booking in the process, too.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Bless him.

:thumbsup:
Love a good Orlandi story.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Amazing turn around from that awful nadir of a game last season Millwall at home.

It is worth listening to recent official club podcast with Nathan and Bobby as it sows the seeds for the great turnaround achieved in a very short space of time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here