Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matchday Buddy and matchday ticket donation

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
At half time last night Richie Reynolds was interviewing someone about a scheme whereby fans can accompany someone with learning difficulties to a match and basically be their buddy for the day.

He also mentioned about where STHs can donate their ticket for a match to people with learning difficulties on low incomes.

I've looked at the AITC website but can't see anything there. Has anyone got any details as I think it's an excellent idea that really should get wider coverage.

Cheers.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
The charity involved is called Grace Eyre, and its a local charity thats been around for awhile but doesn't seem to be too well known until recently. Their website is http://www.grace-eyre.org/ and I think the person being interviewed gave a phone number and an email address to use but it was hard to hear.

Definitely agree that it should get wider coverage! Hope the club or the charity put out some more information about it soon.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think it's new and there will be more about it soon.

I don't know if it was directly inspired by what [MENTION=6366]Freddie Goodwin.[/MENTION] did recently with the £10 ticket thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

On a similar note, on the way back from the Cardiff game, [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and I got talking to a mum and her son on the train back towards Worthing. Somehow the conversation turned to that the lad, Orlando, was actually quite poorly with heart issues. He lifted up his shirt and showed us the scars that he had a result of numerous operations.

We asked if he had been to the Albion before. He hadn't, but said he would love to go. I offered them my tickets for the Preston game and took his Mum's details so we could sort it out.

However, I also got in touch with the club to see if there was anything they could do to help make the day extra special for him and I've found out that he is going to be a mascot on Saturday. His Dad is accompanying him as part of that, and I'm buying tickets for his Mum and sister so they can be there too.

I think most of us forget how lucky we are to be able to attend football pretty much when we choose, and enjoy largely decent health at the same time.

This is him: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1547673/Birthday-boy-survived-20-heart-attacks.html

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013

I don't know if it was directly inspired by what [MENTION=6366]Freddie Goodwin.[/MENTION] did recently with the £10 ticket thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

On a similar note, on the way back from the Cardiff game, [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and I got talking to a mum and her son on the train back towards Worthing. Somehow the conversation turned to that the lad, Orlando, was actually quite poorly with heart issues. He lifted up his shirt and showed us the scars that he had a result of numerous operations.

We asked if he had been to the Albion before. He hadn't, but said he would love to go. I offered them my tickets for the Preston game and took his Mum's details so we could sort it out.

However, I also got in touch with the club to see if there was anything they could do to help make the day extra special for him and I've found out that he is going to be a mascot on Saturday. His Dad is accompanying him as part of that, and I'm buying tickets for his Mum and sister so they can be there too.

I think most of us forget how lucky we are to be able to attend football pretty much when we choose, and enjoy largely decent health at the same time.

This is him: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1547673/Birthday-boy-survived-20-heart-attacks.html

Good on you, fantastic efforts by yourself. Hope the lad has a great time on Saturday!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

:bowdown:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Glad Orlando is going to get his big day out. Well played mate.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I will be working part time soon with adults who are autistic so i may opt into this would be great for them if they can handle the noise and the large enclosed crowds though.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Yes, close to my heart. I may be wrong but I think sometimes those involved in football as a day-to-day profession can forget the magic, importance and the role it plays in the lives of so many. Throughout my life the Albion have had ups & downs, players, managers etc all leaving their marks and memories along with the other marks & memories of everyday life, romance, jobs, people etc.

My particular thing was seeing people I used to work with, Seagull Lottery agents, who had never been to the Amex due to age, finance or, most sadly, no one to go with. We take it for granted we go with mates, family and, even if we don't we all know we will meet those familiar faces to chat to. Imagine going to a game not knowing anybody or not feeling confident enough to have that chat with those around you.

Some years ago one of my lads was laid up in the Royal Alex. Peter Smith & Kevin McGarigle came to see him, probably just another club duty but so well appreciated. A few weeks back, out of curiosity, I tracked down Kevin on Facebook and sent him a message to say how we well remember that visit 18 years ago and the signed football is still in the display cabinet. He was somewhat blown away to learn just how important such gestures are. A reall nice guy. (Not much chance me finding Peter Smith!)

Anyway, donating your ticket is a great gesture and you get such a wonderful feeling from the appreciation you receive. I had so many good wishes from here and it was just wonderful to meet Peggy (it's her birthday this Saturday - must remember to sort out a mention on BBC Sussex match commentry team!), her daughter Linda and Tom Gorringe & everybody at the club.

el punal

I think this is a wonderful idea. This Saturday, for only the third time since being at the Amex, I will be unable to be at the game (Preston). Unfortunately it is too late to pass on my season ticket to friends or family to attend.

So, a suggestion : Would it be possible for the club to retain a contact list of fans who are in the unfortunate position, as described in the various posts, of wishing to watch the Albion but circumstances prohibiting it? I would be more than happy to "loan" my seat to a deserving individual (sorry, not meant to be patronising), rather then leaving it vacant. On that basis the club could issue a paper ticket for collection on the match day by that person.

All a bit pie in the sky I know, but the thought is there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Top work Bozza. And it's a good job this lad bumped into you this season and not last. Sami's Brighton might have sent him over the edge. Clearly Orlando's luck has now changed for the better :thumbsup:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I think this is a wonderful idea. This Saturday, for only the third time since being at the Amex, I will be unable to be at the game (Preston). Unfortunately it is too late to pass on my season ticket to friends or family to attend.

So, a suggestion : Would it be possible for the club to retain a contact list of fans who are in the unfortunate position, as described in the various posts, of wishing to watch the Albion but circumstances prohibiting it? I would be more than happy to "loan" my seat to a deserving individual (sorry, not meant to be patronising), rather then leaving it vacant. On that basis the club could issue a paper ticket for collection on the match day by that person.

All a bit pie in the sky I know, but the thought is there.

I think this sounds like a great idea. It would be good if there were a 'I can't make the game' button on the ticket website. This would result in the temporary deactivation of your card for the game. There could then be a charities log in where local charities logged on to their ticket section and could select donated tickets. They could then be printed at home.

There shouldn't be much of a cost implication to the club, as the recipients wouldn't be fee paying customers anyway.

Not sure how practical it would be to implement, mind.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

What a fantastic gesture, Bozza.

I bet that kid can't sleep with excitement. He and his family are just 48hrs away from a day they will never forget.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Just been in touch with someone I know who works for Grace Eyre, and apparently they are not allowed to be given tickets unfortunately :( but for football buddies you need to contact Kt Banwell at kbanwell@grace-eyre.org

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just been in touch with someone I know who works for Grace Eyre, and apparently they are not allowed to be given tickets unfortunately :( but for football buddies you need to contact Kt Banwell at kbanwell@grace-eyre.org

Why can't they be given tickets?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think this sounds like a great idea. It would be good if there were a 'I can't make the game' button on the ticket website. This would result in the temporary deactivation of your card for the game. There could then be a charities log in where local charities logged on to their ticket section and could select donated tickets. They could then be printed at home.

There shouldn't be much of a cost implication to the club, as the recipients wouldn't be fee paying customers anyway.

Not sure how practical it would be to implement, mind.

In theory very simple and practical. 1901 Club members already have a facility where we can deactivate our card and send someone a paper ticket. If the club rolled this out to every supporter then they can deactivate their card and send the paper ticket to Grace Eyre. So technically it can be done.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
He's an agent now, and his clients include Inigo Calderon (and, I think, Joel Lynch and Dean Cox), so there's probably more chance of you finding him than you think.

He is also regularly at the amex for games. Gone are the Marley locks though

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Any chance of making contact? Please PM, would really love to pass on my thanks from all those years ago as, I'm sure, my son would too.
Back then he was 13 and wheelchair bound but he went on the complete 3 marathons.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here