Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would anyone take PLAYOFFS now if offered?

If someone could guarantee you a 3rd-6th place finish now, would you take it?

• YES - Long long season, we could easily end up outside the playoffs, plus BZ is playoff final king

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • NO - We're aiming for top 2

Votes: 81 76.4%

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Surely not...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, because as things stand I'd say we are less likely to finish outside the top 6 than we are to finish in the top 2. And even if we did finish in the play-offs, that's a one in four chance of promotion.

The bookies reckon we'll finish 3rd.

Edit: just to prove the point highlighted above:

Skybet have us:
9/4 to finish outside the top 6
2/1 to finish IN the top 2

Last edited:

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I would accept the play-off right now for sure.

We are short of real quality up front (aside from BZ who will only have limited involvement) and this will find us out over the whole of the season. Of course should we recruit in the next transfer window my view might well change !!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No chance.

I'm sure we'll finish top 6 at least, so why settle for that with no chance of top 2 ? ???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I would accept the play-off right now for sure.

We are short of real quality up front (aside from BZ who will only have limited involvement) and this will find us out over the whole of the season. Of course should we recruit in the next transfer window my view might well change !!

Maybe, but we are joint 2nd top scorers in the league at this point, many teams would love to have goals coming from various quarters like ours have been. I don't think we've seen the best of Baldock and Hemed yet as a pair either. Hemed is still very early in his stay in England, and Baldock seems to be improving with each game for me, a real threat last night and deserved his goal, he seems to be involved in so many of our moves. I'm still backing these two, and despite our great start, I don't think we have seen the best of this side yet...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd take it: we haven't played many of the top teams yet and we've stayed (mainly) injury free. Long layoffs for Kayal and/or Stephens (and both have a history of injuries would see us screwed). I'd happily be content with a play-off place right now

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'd like the playoffs with Bobby scoring the winner with the last kick of the game. That'd be fine.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If we don't make the automatics, my line of thinking is perhaps we are not good enough for the PL?

I think we also have room (with the current players) for quite a substantial improvement.

Stll Reading and Derby might have other ideas and go on a 12 match unbeaten run themsleves, so it is going to be interesting, maybe even exciting. Just hope we can play better when it really matters. Not in the play-offs. The last seven home matches should be epic.

I can't help thinking back to 1971-72 when it was 2 pts for a win and no play-offs and Bournemouth were 6 pts clear of us and we caught them up. We can still be caught but it would be a calamity of we don't make the play-offs at least. http://www.statto.com/football/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/1971-1972/table/1971-10-20

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We're 6 clear of 3rd we have to show ambition. Really have no stomach for play offs and already on holiday if we're at Wembley

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I'd take it: we haven't played many of the top teams yet and we've stayed (mainly) injury free. Long layoffs for Kayal and/or Stephens (and both have a history of injuries would see us screwed). I'd happily be content with a play-off place right now

We have played teams that would have been near the top if they hadn`t played us. Hull would be equal top on 25 points if they had beaten us and Cardiff would be top six if they had beaten us. So I argue those that are closest to us are only there because they haven`t played us yet.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We have played teams that would have been near the top if they hadn`t played us. Hull would be equal top on 25 points if they had beaten us and Cardiff would be top six if they had beaten us. So I argue those that are closest to us are only there because they haven`t played us yet.

I said many not any. We've played two teams in the top 10, yet seven teams in the bottom 10 - that's a bit of discrepancy

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No chance. We need about another 45-48 points to finish 6th. If we can't manage that in 34 matches - that's only 1.3 points a game - then there'd be no point in us being in the play offs.

Betting markets - which are governed by punters thinking rationally with their heads, not overly pessimistic fans - say that we're less than 2-1 to finish top 2. The playoffs are a lottery and would effectively put us at 3-1.

We're top, by 4 points, after 12 games - that's enough to say it's not down to luck or having played weak teams (of which there aren't any in this division). I'd be unhappy if the players were to be satisfied with a play off spot right now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here