Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would it be possible?

With the huge cost of electricity at the amex would it be possible to use pedal power during high usage times to produce electricity? For example during night matches they could have 20/30 bikes hooked up to floodlights and they would be powered by fans! You could have the bikes along the back of the north stand with a view of the pitch,the cyclists would have free entry in return for a two hour shift on the bikes when the next 20/30 volunteers would replace them:thumbsup: Cheaper energy and a bit of exercise for the fans! Could get some of the academy players in during the rest of the week.

Could it work and would you put in 2hrs exercise for free entry????

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Yeah right.....and when we are losing 2-0 with 5 minutes to go, everyone stops pedalling!
Plus might be struggling for the last few minutes of most games due to the pedallers' desire to leave early.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what a bright idea. not sure it will gain much traction though.

Yeah right.....and when we are losing 2-0 with 5 minutes to go, everyone stops pedalling!
Plus might be struggling for the last few minutes of most games due to the pedallers' desire to leave early.

It might be possible to have each cyclist a target so the quickies would be able to bank loads of power before the final whistle. Could also have cyclist in different stands with amounts produced on the big screen,a competitive slant!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's what we were doing last night. I put a hard 10 minutes in between 30 and 40 minutes of the first half. If you went to games, you'd be so much better informed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
With the huge cost of electricity at the amex would it be possible to use pedal power during high usage times to produce electricity? For example during night matches they could have 20/30 bikes hooked up to floodlights and they would be powered by fans! You could have the bikes along the back of the north stand with a view of the pitch,the cyclists would have free entry in return for a two hour shift on the bikes when the next 20/30 volunteers would replace them:thumbsup: Cheaper energy and a bit of exercise for the fans! Could get some of the academy players in during the rest of the week.

Could it work and would you put in 2hrs exercise for free entry????

..............waiting for an NSC smart-arse to work out how many bikes it would actually take to power the floodlights. I suspect on a midweek game the whole crowd on dyno-bikes still wouldn't be enough (bearing in mind when I had a dynamo on my bike years ago it was hard enough to light up that tiny bulb)

..............waiting for an NSC smart-arse to work out how many bikes it would actually take to power the floodlights. I suspect on a midweek game the whole crowd on dyno-bikes still wouldn't be enough (bearing in mind when I had a dynamo on my bike years ago it was hard enough to light up that tiny bulb)

Surely about 100/150 bikes should do it? Things have moved since those days of fooling around with your neighbors chopper.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Slowly,

gradually,

inexorably,

you're losing it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Surely about 100/150 bikes should do it? Things have moved since those days of fooling around with your neighbors chopper.

You think ? Found this on Amazon - now, there might be better ones around, but this one would take 12 HOURS or more pedalling to charge a car battery. The benefits of green supply would be immediately lost in the cost of feeding the pedallers energy drinks.........

http://www.amazon.com/Generator-Eme...=1445434969&sr=8-4&keywords=bicycle+generator

Here's another article - basically says 'don't be bloody daft' - 18 (elite - not NSCer's who can barely climb the steps to WSU without gasping) cyclists to power a hairdryer. One person, one (normal, small, household) lightbulb.............barely.......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...8-family-discovered-unique-TV-experiment.html

Think you should put off your Dragon's Den appearance for a while yet :laugh:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
According to this website: http://www.ledsmaster.com/High-Power-LED-Flood-Light-For-Football-Stadium-226.html

A Malaysian football stadium that looks comparable to the Amex consumes 207,000 Kw and elsewhere I've discovered that the average person can produce 248 watts cycling for half an hour before collapsing.

So if you want a stadium lit for, say 4 hours you would need:

207,000 x 1000 /248 x 8 = 6,659,517 people on bicycles.

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
According to this website: http://www.ledsmaster.com/High-Power-LED-Flood-Light-For-Football-Stadium-226.html

A Malaysian football stadium that looks comparable to the Amex consumes 207,000 Kw and elsewhere I've discovered that the average person can produce 248 watts cycling for half an hour before collapsing.

Surely with all the "JCL's" this shouldn't be a problem...

What if each person wears a solar panel on their head?

Yoda

English & European

I was originally thinking that 20-30 might be enough to power ONE light, but based on that I might be slightly out.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If they were to pick up the light of the floodlights they would have to be in the immediate vicinity, and for any effectiveness, inside the stadium. Nearly 7 million people...and nearly 2 million bikes. I'll just let that sink in for a minute...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here