Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POYET: "Brighton are ready for the Premier League, and I’d love my old team to get there."

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
POYET: "Brighton are ready for the Premier League, and I’d love my old team to get there."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/gus-poyet-brighton-ready-premier-082249868.html

Gus Poyet gives the lowdown on former club Brighton, the reasons for his departure and his hopes for the future at the Amex Stadium.

.My old team Brighton & Hove Albion are flying at the top of the Championship and had a great win at Leeds, where I was once assistant manager, at the weekend.

Brighton have the support, stadium and infrastructure to be in the Premier League and I’m pleased for them.

Chris Hughton is a very good coach as I saw first hand when I played at Spurs and he coached under Glenn Hoddle. We didn’t agree all the time, but we both wanted what was best for Spurs. Chris knows the Championship level from when he got Newcastle promoted and that experience is good for him at Brighton.

As often happens when you move jobs, I can’t pretend that all ended well between Brighton and me. I was in charge there for four years and as it was my first job in football it will always have a special place in my heart, right from when we beat Southampton away in our first game.

I smile at some great memories, even if some of them got me into trouble. Like when I grabbed the microphone on Brighton sea front to celebrate our promotion from League One and echoed what our fans had been singing. Which was ‘We’re f**king brilliant! We’re f**king brilliant!’

Read the rest: https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/gus-poyet-brighton-ready-premier-082249868.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So, a headline that talks about Brighton and the push for the PL but the piece turns out to be 95% about Poyet. Why doesn't that surprise me?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
10 pages. At least.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
"Everyone thought that I found out live on air, but that wasn’t true.

I went into the studio at 7.30pm. All phones were off. Ten minutes later, the club informed my lawyer of their decision"

Is this the first time he has explained this?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As we suspected really. Barber came in and the job Poyet was originally given to do was changed from under him. Being a ridiculously (overly) principled man he obviously took offence at this and they fell out. All fair enough really.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

I went into the studio at 7.30pm. All phones were off. Ten minutes later, the club informed my lawyer of their decision"

Not before time either. I have never believed, not for one single moment, that Poyet found out live on air he'd been sacked, but he seemed to revel in the idea of it happening like that.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Very glossed over without telling us much new. Suppose it confirms bringing in barber/Burke broke down the relationship between chairman/manager.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Sadly forgotten about trying to silently fix himself up with Premier Clubs whilst still on a long contract with BHA. And then pinching players from the club (he loved so much) depriving it of their services.
That article looks to me like a guy composing his own CV in the hope that he'll get back into management.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Was it Barber or Burke he was referring to in there?

Or probably both of them.

I reckon Barber as from what I've 'eard he narrowed Poyet's remit down a fair bit. Perhaps with good reason, maybe Gus was being unrealistic with some of his demands?

Could be Burke though, true.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So, a headline that talks about Brighton and the push for the PL but the piece turns out to be 95% about Poyet. Why doesn't that surprise me?

This. Although at least it is about the most conciliatory thing we've heard since, which is something. And the whole 'sacked live on air' thing was always absurd, Mark Chapman made himself look a fool.

albionite

May 20, 2009
He really should of added he got the sack as he was talking to other clubs and telling which players he was taking with him.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Haters gunna hate. Lickers gunna lick.

I don't think this article will change what anyone thinks of the man, but I found the insight very interesting.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I don't think he ever claimed he was sacked on air. Most people at the time, even those sticking up for Gus acknowledged that the news came through while BBC were showing the game, not while Gus was on actually air. He was working on a live TV show, so the short hand of the story will be that he was sacked while on air.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Gus moved on. And so have we.

Gus shared his happy memories of our time together - I'm sure that we can all remember the good times too.

Life's too short to hold onto grudges. It's like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here