Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buckingham Group finding not all football clubs pay their invoices!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
From BBC site:

A building firm employed to revamp Northampton Town's stadium says it is owed almost £3m.

The East Stand at Sixfields remains half-built after Buckingham Group downed tools in June.

The company is trying to reclaim the money it says it is owed through a petition for bankruptcy.

A prospective takeover of the club, which faces a winding-up petition over unpaid tax, fell through earlier this week.

Buckingham Group says it had to stop work twice - initially when contractors 1st Land Limited went into administration and again when contracting company County Development Northampton Limited (CDNL) failed to pay them in full.

Northampton Town chairman David Cardoza and his father Anthony Cardoza are the only company directors listed for CNDL.

In a statement, Buckingham Group said: "We wish to make it clear that the reason why the East Stand construction works ceased completely in early June 2015 was entirely due to non-payment of monies due and certified.

"We stopped work because we were not paid."

A hearing is listed for Thursday at Birmingham County Court, which the building firm said it will attend.

Meanwhile, the club is the subject of a winding-up petition by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

A statement from the club said the debt is "a temporary issue due to the delays in completing the takeover".

Mr Cardoza has been in talks with HMRC to resolve the matter and expects it to be resolved by the end of next week, according to the club.

Mr Cardoza was not available for comment, but in a statement on the club website he said: "Meetings have and are continuing this week and we are very close to reaching an agreement on the sale of the club to one of a number of interested parties and we believe we will have some definite news very soon."

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Deeper story here which is pretty horrendous.

I believe Northampton Council gave the football club somewhere between £7m-£10m for this new stadium work, but only £600k or so has been paid out of the £3m already owed.

The work being done, is also substantially smaller and scaled back than what was proposed to Northampton Council.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If I won a tender for a £3M+ project from a L2 football club I wouldn't lift a finger until all the financial guarantees were in place

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Deeper story here which is pretty horrendous.

I believe Northampton Council gave the football club somewhere between £7m-£10m for this new stadium work, but only £600k or so has been paid out of the £3m already owed.

The work being done, is also substantially smaller and scaled back than what was proposed to Northampton Council.

How, in this day and age, does a council lend somewhere between £7-10m, and not pay it in stages as work is compelted, and how does a private company get so much tax payers money? How many jobs and essential local services could that money create?

I'm guessing they've commited to this money but not passed it over as yet or until stages are complete?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
N
How, in this day and age, does a council lend somewhere between £7-10m, and not pay it in stages as work is compelted, and how does a private company get so much tax payers money? How many jobs and essential local services could that money create?

I'm guessing they've commited to this money but not passed it over as yet or until stages are complete?

Not 100% sure as only saw this on Facebook from a Northampton fan but a few fan blogs appear to be reporting this in full.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/northampton-town-ordered-pay-council-6516010

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-34553462

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It is astounding that Northampton Town owe the council 10 million, and Buckingham 3 million, and also haven't paid their tax.

Things seem to have gone downhill very quickly.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It is astounding that Northampton Town owe the council 10 million, and Buckingham 3 million, and also haven't paid their tax.

Things seem to have gone downhill very quickly.

Based on this they'll probably put in a bid for Baldock & Stephens and be allowed to buy them .... FFP my @rse!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here