Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winner reminds Zamora of a good time at Wembley [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
BOBBY ZAMORA has revealed his late winner at Leeds reminded him of one of the most valuable goals of his career.
Zamora pounced from the bench in the 89th minute at Elland Road.
His last-gasp goal for former club QPR in the Championship play-off final against Derby at Wembley in May 2014 put them back in the Premier League.
Zamora told The Argus: “It was nice to score after 89 minutes. As I was running over I saw that on the screen, it was 89 minutes and so many seconds. I remember that from the play-off final. It was quite ironic I suppose.”
Zamora heeded the words of ex-Albion team-mate turned coach Nathan Jones in lifting an exquisite finish over Leeds keeper Marco Silvestri from Gaetan Bong’s pass with Leeds down to ten men, their goalscorer Liam Cooper departing with a knee injury after all three substitutes had been used.
“It was a nice finish,” Zamora said. “Gaetan did brilliantly, attacked the goal and pulled the defender out and then played a great ball through. Jonesy before every game says one chance, one chance when you are coming off the bench.
“I think that’s my first proper chance so I’m pleased to have put it away.”
Zamora’s previous goal for Albion was from the penalty spot in a 2-2 draw at Grimsby in May 2003 which confirmed their relegation from the Championship.
Bong played on with a gashed foot sustained in the early stages at Leeds, while captain Gordon Greer is a major doubt for Bristol City’s visit tomorrow night with a jarred knee which forced him off before half-time.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here