• No

Votes: 37 45.1%
  • Dont know/care/fence

Votes: 24 29.3%

• Total voters

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
There are various reasons to object to it.

1. Hallal meat is slaughtered in abatoirs that only employ practising muslims,side stepping discrimination laws.

2.Hallal is a Part of the sharia legal system which among other things, degrades women and non-beleivers are considered inferior.

3. Animal welfare issues.

4 Religious/theist.EG Acts in the bible prohibits the consumption of meat sacrificed to another god.

5. Less choice as Bacon and alcohol can be removed from the menu.

6.. Hallal Cetification which is essentially a racket to exstort money from companies which everyone pays when they buy the products, examples of this are Kingsmill bread and Kelloggs cerials(the symbol is on the packet).

I wont pay for sacrificial meat etc as I am uncomfortable underpinning other peoples wacky religious beleifs with my money. i neither will validate their religious law that says Im inferior(They can go and do one).

Ive notice quite a few places(fast food outlets) in Crawley displaying the hallal symbol but not many customers.

So do you eat it and why?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Doesn't sound very kosher to me.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yes i have because i have found it cheaper on occasions.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as someone who has eaten a few kebabs and currys, only answer to this is yes.

btw, i believe point 4 is wrong and there is nothing in christianty prohibiting any food. maybe old testesment, but that doesnt really count. and i wonder if you apply point 6 to buy British campaign, or gluten free certification?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Some good points looney, but point 4 doesn't sound right to me - they believe in the same god don't they?

I don't object, but there is food for thought there.

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
Halal is a cleaner, more humane way of extracting meat from an animal. Instead of the torture some of the animals receive in non-Halal abattoirs, killing them by a single cut to the throat is surely preferable. I have no issues with whoever prepares my meat, whether they identify as muslim, christian or other made-up groups..

Also, your point 5 is pointless. Bacon 'can' be removed from menus in any restaurant, but often isn't.

So, I don't care about point 1 or 6, and I think points 3, 4 and 5 are incorrect. As for point two, I couldn't be bothered whether someone considers me inferior or not, as long as I get my takeaway.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
as someone who has eaten a few kebabs and currys, only answer to this is yes.

btw, i believe point 4 is wrong and there is nothing in christianty prohibiting any food. maybe old testesment, but that doesnt really count. and i wonder if you apply point 6 to buy British campaign, or gluten free certification?

Its not wrong, maybe ambigious as the bible says different things and both new testement. And if a company was paying a fee to a anti-gluten movement or a buy british org then I would not buy it.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
... if a company was paying a fee to a anti-gluten movement or a buy british org then I would not buy it.

you better stop buying British then, or buying anything with any form of certification, food or non-food, its all paid for.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
you better stop buying British then, or buying anything with any form of certification, food or non-food, its all paid for.

Eh? We are talking about companies paying fees to clandestine organisations using religion on spurious grounds.a fee that all customers pay. Why, or how, is that comparable to your wild attempts at analogies?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do you eat hallal food?
Yes, all meat eaters here do, as some halal food isn't labelled as halal.
1. Hallal meat is slaughtered in abatoirs that only employ practising muslims,side stepping discrimination laws.
That's not correct.
2.Hallal is a Part of the sharia legal system
So? I'm sure there are other things that a part of their legal system that we don't mind.
3. Animal welfare issues.
I don't buy meat labelled as halal because of this.
4 Religious/theist.EG Acts in the bible prohibits the consumption of meat sacrificed to another god.
The bible does not prohibit the consumption of halal meat.
5. Less choice as Bacon and alcohol can be removed from the menu.
Eh? I could eat halal and bacon and drink.
6.. Hallal Cetification which is essentially a racket to exstort money from companies which everyone pays when they buy the products, examples of this are Kingsmill bread and Kelloggs cerials(the symbol is on the packet).
What?
I wont pay for sacrificial meat etc as I am uncomfortable underpinning other peoples wacky religious beleifs with my money.
Make sure you don't eat in restaurants then. Or buy red meat from the supermarket.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Some good points looney, but point 4 doesn't sound right to me - they believe in the same god don't they?
Although it's the same god, Christians don't believe Mohamed was a profit, and it's wrong for Christians to worship another religion. But it is ok for them to eat Halal, as long as:
1) It's not being done in a religious way (eg, if the person serving said this is Halal meat to worship Allah.
2) They don't eat it in front of a younger/more impressionable Christian who might think they are worshiping another religion.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Do they sell it in Aldi/Asda?

If so then yep, likely.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Yes, as my favourite curry shop has a sign saying that they use it, but then again they have a sign to say that they are open for breakfast too and they clearly are not.
There are people here from all over the world, mainly it seems from Asia, so the sign just might make the difference between them eating there and somewhere else, whether the meat is Halal or not.
They are not adverse to putting up any old sign here to get business, no one is going to bother checking it out.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
To be honest I wouldn't know if I had or I hadn't, and the amount of ****s given reflect that.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Although it's the same god, Christians don't believe Mohamed was a profit, and it's wrong for Christians to worship another religion. But it is ok for them to eat Halal, as long as:
1) It's not being done in a religious way (eg, if the person serving said this is Halal meat to worship Allah.
2) They don't eat it in front of a younger/more impressionable Christian who might think they are worshiping another religion.

Is the correct answer.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Air and water are halal. If you object to them, boycott them?

I think it is more to do with English companies maximising their profits. .

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Eh? We are talking about companies paying fees to clandestine organisations using religion on spurious grounds.a fee that all customers pay. Why, or how, is that comparable to your wild attempts at analogies?

lol, its not analogies, it directly comparable examples of the same practice, requiring one to pay a fee, be inspected and meet certain standards for a certificate. BS or IEE on your electrical items, farm tractor on your food, its just the same. the only difference is one is based on daft religious texts, but there's plenty of equally spurious certification in industry. sorry to hole your argument.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
To be honest, if I spent my time thinking like your opening post, I'd be so exhausted by dinner time that I wouldn't care less where the meat came from!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
i wonder if you apply point 6 to buy British campaign, or gluten free certification?
And if a company was paying a fee to a anti-gluten movement or a buy british org then I would not buy it.

Do Kelloggs have to pay to have their cereal halal certified? I can't find a halal symbol on my cereal, and if there was one, why would they have to pay? I don't think any animals are in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here