Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Email account for children

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Good people of NSC I seek your guidance please.

Rattler Junior 1 (aged 9, nearly 10) keeps asking for her own email address so she can mail her school friends.

Any suggestions as to most suitable email account? Presume there must be something specifically aimed at children (in a good way!!)?

Thanks in advance.

The Rattler

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Mine both had accounts set up for them via school. Probably only at year 7, though.

Does he not have email through his mobile phone account?

I think pretty much any of the internet based accounts are fine whatever the age, to be honest, but I'm certainly no expert!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i cant think of any way to make an email account "child friendly". they'll get spam once its out in the wild, to prevent spam do not advertise your email. what else is there to worry about? might be some services with aggressive filtering though, i imagine its a concern for many parents, i'd rather teach them the way of the web - its a jungle out there need to learn.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My son has Gmail and my daughter, Yahoo. You have to lie about their ages though as you have to be 13 to have one

EDIT: I should add that I have the passwords to both so I can check what they're up to ... and who's mailing them. It's all pretty kosher so far

Kuma

*dons shades*
Aug 22, 2015
Midlands
I would say that most emails are the same, some might require them to be a certain age (like gmail). Just make sure you teach them to protect themselves, e.g. not to sign up to anything, keep a note of the password just in case etc. I think Barclays can give kids email lessons through their app.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Gmail. The spam filter is simply brilliant. The best out there. Yahoo is pretty sh!te for spam.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gmail. The spam filter is simply brilliant. The best out there. Yahoo is pretty sh!te for spam.

Gmail spam filter is a little too efficient, I keep finding important emails in there (yet the crud still gets through). I like Gmail though, it's definitely the best of the online services but "brilliant" is a little strong

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
register your own domain (fiver a year) at 123-reg and use it to forward emails to a gmail account.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I assumed they get one as they leave the delivery suite nowadays. There seemed plenty with them at primary school when my kids were there and my youngest is 18 now.

My 3 1/2 week old daughter doesn't have one yet. Am I a bad parent?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I registered email addresses for both my kids when they were born so I could get decent addresses for them. The more time goes by the more addresses have been used so the choice becomes a load of numbers on the end of your name. Both have decent gmail addresses and use them on their devices. Surely at 9 almost 10 don't they all have instragram accounts or is that just at my kids schools.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
My darlings (12 & 9) have outlook accounts, linked to their iPhones, and a copy of each email sent & received comes to me too, with their agreement (or they didn't get the phone / account) as they get older that'll drop of course. It's not email I'd be concerned about it's more instagram etc!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here