Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beggars : do you give money to them ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Having visited a few large cities over here and abroad in recent years, I'm always taken aback by how many beggars one sees. Do you give to them ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Having visited a few large cities over here and abroad in recent years, I'm always taken aback by how many beggars one sees. Do you give to them ?

I have done. I would happily toss a few pence to anyone in desperate need although the cynic in me suggests it won't go on food... So I don't so much now...

Dec 15, 2014
Here

A pound or two..........................................................................................................................................................................of flesh. :facepalm:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have done. I would happily toss a few pence to anyone in desperate need although the cynic in me suggests it won't go on food... So I don't so much now...

One freezing night in Manchester, I was on the way into McDonalds, and a chap sat in the doorway outside, with his cap in front of him, mumbles "spare some change for a coffee, mate?"

I didn't give him any cash, but as I'd actually gone in for a coffee, I got him one, too. When I handed it to him on the way out, he looked at me like I'd shat in his cap! :jester:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
No, impossible to tell who is in genuine need or part of an organised gang which seem more prevalent these days.

el punal

One freezing night in Manchester, I was on the way into McDonalds, and a chap sat in the doorway outside, with his cap in front of him, mumbles "spare some change for a coffee, mate?"

I didn't give him any cash, but as I'd actually gone in for a coffee, I got him one, too. When I handed it to him on the way out, he looked at me like I'd shat in his cap! :jester:

I didn't realise McDonald's coffee was that bad.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Whys it matter if its food or not ? (unless they are saying it is)

Because I'd rather feed a fellow human being than feed their crack habit...?

Now that's the way to do it - and well done for doing it that way!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not very often but chuff me if you think there are a lot here then try some places in Spain (though it varies massively from city to city). In Jerez this summer you couldn't move for them. You'd get 10 different beggars come to your table during your meal, not to mention people selling lottery tickets, roses, sunflowers, towels, sun hats, drapes, etc.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A few years ago there always used to be beggers outside the Co-op in Blatchington Road.

One day there was chap sat with a dog sat outside and I thought I would be clever and I bought some dog food to give to him on the way out. I said here you go mate, some food for your dog only for him to tell me it wasn't his. :shrug:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Only if they're playing a mouth organ, or guitar etc Even if they are hopeless, at least they are making an effort. or if they have a dog!

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Sometimes, I'd rather buy them a meal or a drink, at least that way I know what my money pays for.

I once bought a young homeless lady a sleeping bag and gave her a fiver. Her and her dog were soaked from the storm the night before and the lady had decided to wrap the dog up in her sleeping bag instead of herself. I didn't cost much but her face when I gave it to her was priceless.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Only if they're playing a mouth organ, or guitar etc Even if they are hopeless, at least they are making an effort. or if they have a dog!

Ah but they're buskers. Or are they if they are really shit ?
We had an old woman playing a guitar (badly) and singing The Monster Mash recently on the NY subway and because we knew the words and were also pissed we joined in. She walked away as if we might be after a cut.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
A few years ago there always used to be beggers outside the Co-op in Blatchington Road.

One day there was chap sat with a dog sat outside and I thought I would be clever and I bought some dog food to give to him on the way out. I said here you go mate, some food for your dog only for him to tell me it wasn't his. :shrug:

Wasn't Peter Sellers was it?

http://youtu.be/Ue0fZfwHfzo

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nope. If I've got a spare note, I prefer to burn it in front of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here