Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet...

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Luke Williams, Coopers assistant yet to go and was close to Gus, I suspect it wont happen though.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
His ego wouldn't allow him to go to Swindon, no chance.

Perhaps, but his ego would also entice him into an otherwise obvious bad choice of club, we can all see it is unlikely to offer him success but he might think he can buck the trend.

They all like money and with a good wage, a couple of wins and an active agent it might just offer him his best pathway back into the big-time, where he believed he belongs.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Is that a bad thing?

I wouldn't go for a job worse than my previous one if
1) I didn't NEED the money
2) I thought I could get a better job.

Not saying it is a bad thing, especially given how shit Swindon are. I still think he believes he's a much better manager than he actually is though, couldn't see him taking most Championship jobs, which lets face it is the highest level he's been successful at.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He turned down the job before Rosler.

I know it's hilarious but why are fans still so keen to put the boot into him?
Don't know about others, but for me it's because of ( amongst other things ) his total disrespect shown towards the club at the end with his touting, and his 'ceiling' comments etc.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Not saying it is a bad thing, especially given how shit Swindon are. I still think he believes he's a much better manager than he actually is though, couldn't see him taking most Championship jobs, which lets face it is the highest level he's been successful at.

He would argue (just playing the devils role here), that he came in and kept a sunderland team bound for relegation in the prem, then guided them to a wembley final and was sacked with them outside the relegation zone.

He could argue that was an "ok" job done at prem level, whether one chooses to believe that or not.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Don't know about others, but for me it's because of ( amongst other things ) his total disrespect shown towards the club at the end with his touting, and his 'ceiling' comments etc.

He was answering press questions. His honesty was refreshing, but others saw it as touting. When he did get the chance to go, he turned it down ie Reading.
He said he enjoyed his time at Leeds, he liked the fans, and his son went to Leeds University. He also said he would like to go back to Valencia one day.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Fans need to understand that managers, players and staff really never like the club like the fans do.

They make noises saying they do, but they dont.

They like the success it might bring them, enjoy the wealth and the adulation well its a nice feeling to be liked, but they know that they are only a couple of losses away from the sack, from abuse and from a secret phone-call from a prospective new manager which the chairmen is now considering.

Poyet is no different to Hughton, Garcia or Hyppia, he just didnt hide it very well.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He was answering press questions. His honesty was refreshing, but others saw it as touting. When he did get the chance to go, he turned it down ie Reading.
He said he enjoyed his time at Leeds, he liked the fans, and his son went to Leeds University. He also said he would like to go back to Valencia one day.
Did he turn down Reading ? ( I know Tano said he did). Or did it not quite happen that way? Is the full truth out there ?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
He has a cushty job turning up in anything related to Uruguay already, I saw he was being asked questions pitchside when they were playing rugby the other day. Not sure how he would juggle these commitments with another job.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He would argue (just playing the devils role here), that he came in and kept a sunderland team bound for relegation in the prem, then guided them to a wembley final and was sacked with them outside the relegation zone.

He could argue that was an "ok" job done at prem level, whether one chooses to believe that or not.

I don't doubt that he'd argue that for a second, I personally think his maxim of 'only playing one way' was his downfall as once teams had figured out how to beat them they really did struggle. He also made some pretty woeful signings, giving us about 5mil for Buckley and Bridcutt, Sunderland fans weren't bothered when he left which said a lot after an apparent success the previous season. In my personal opinion, solid Championship manager, but hasn't got the tactical nous for the Premier League.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Turned out he was right about Burke though eh? As was Oscar.

I am totally ambivalent towards Gus tbh but I think - albeit with a horror season and via a roundabout route - that we have arrived at a much better place than when he left. Great mix of youth and experience, Category A Academy, fantastic British manager playing exciting football and who has a bagload of contacts and experience at this level. All that has relegated Gus to just another footnote in history for me.

Seeing him end up at Swindon WOULD be funny though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Turned out he was right about Burke though eh? As was Oscar.

I am totally ambivalent towards Gus tbh but I think - albeit with a horror season and via a roundabout route - that we have arrived at a much better place than when he left. Great mix of youth and experience, Category A Academy, fantastic British manager playing exciting football and who has a bagload of contacts and experience at this level. All that has relegated Gus to just another footnote in history for me.

Seeing him end up at Swindon WOULD be funny though.
Yes, if he was referring to Burke he was right, but there was no indication that his 'ceiling' was Burke-related.

If we go up this year, he was clearly very ill-judged with those post match comments, which were quite frankly insulting to the club, and all about Project Poyet.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

And his claim would be aided by the reputation Sunderland has/is getting, given how manager after manager, and local journalists talk about the drinking culture of the players in the club, and the pattern of sunderland failing, bringing a new manager in to perform a rescue, then losing him the following season when they fail to win in the first month or so of the season, as has happened with at least their last three managers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here