Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hate

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have always felt football "hate" is a bit pantomime. But then I read on here some lads actually paid to watch a team because they hate Leeds so much. This seems a bit weird to me. But I've just read in the Giggs thread that someone hates Man U and everything they stand for. Do folk genuinely hate other clubs? Or is it just a bit of pantomime to facilitate the tribal nature of football? And if you are one of the haters what lengths have you been to because of your hatred?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PS I do love a bit of panto but this is all.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I have always felt football "hate" is a bit pantomime. But then I read on here some lads actually paid to watch a team because they hate Leeds so much. This seems a bit weird to me. But I've just read in the Giggs thread that someone hates Man U and everything they stand for. Do folk genuinely hate other clubs? Or is it just a bit of pantomime to facilitate the tribal nature of football? And if you are one of the haters what lengths have you been to because of your hatred?

I truly hate Man U for a number of reasons but I think what cemented it was in 1999 when they won the treble and we were ground sharing in Gillingham. All I saw in the Brighton parks and shopping centers around that time were effing Man U shirts everywhere.

I do think the Palace "hatred" is a bit pantomime at times. I say I hate Palace but I don't really, secretly I quite like them being up there as they're a real club with real fans and it gives us extra incentive to get out of this league to rekindle the rivalry.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

Is it like you hating the Tories and everyone who votes for them?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I hate Palace always have always will. I know it's a bit sad but I do. The two times I have ever really been absolutely bereft after a football match was the 5-0 and the play off defeat. I've never known a feeling like it before or since. When I was younger that manifested itself in trying to take their fans heads off. I have grown out of that but I still hate them and hate is the correct word. It's tribal, it's irrational and it's the way I feel...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I truly hate Man U for a number of reasons but I think what cemented it was in 1999 when they won the treble and we were ground sharing in Gillingham. All I saw in the Brighton parks and shopping centers around that time were effing Man U shirts everywhere.

I do think the Palace "hatred" is a bit pantomime at times. I say I hate Palace but I don't really, secretly I quite like them being up there as they're a real club with real fans and it gives us extra incentive to get out of this league to rekindle the rivalry.
You secretly like Palace? :shootself

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I don't even bother with the pantomime aspect if I'm honest.

There are a couple of teams that I have a strong dislike of and wish many bad things on (Palace being the obvious one) but nothing like the hatred I've seen expressed by others. I don't, for example, get overcome with rage at the sight of a Palace shirt nor do I spit on those I know that support them...I might pity them though.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them; that's the essence of inhumanity - George Bernard Shaw

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

It might have been me you are referring to in terms of the "hating Man U" comment in another thread.

Hate is too strong a word, but my perfect season would see them relegated. Growing up in Worthing in the late 1960s as a teenager, it just annoyed me that all the people who knew nothing about Football supported Man U - 'twas ever thus. I don't hate any football clubs, really. There are some I dislike. Leeds and Bournemouth are two others - Bournemouth because I used to live near there and I don't like Eddie Howe. I used not to like Everton, but that has mellowed because I think Roberto Martinez oozes class. Millwall are beyond thepail because of their supporters and having sat the last two seasons in the South-west corner close to the away fans section and feeling comfortable with any other grup of fans except Millwall, who were nasty.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I don't genuinely hate any football team. I don't really 'hate' anything to be honest.

With regards to Palace, it's more tradition than real hate or animosity.
Brighton Vs Palace games are always the best games to be at.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Is it like you hating the Tories and everyone who votes for them?

If Herr T is anything like me, the answer is no. The Football is to a certain extent inconsequential. The political stuff matters.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Palace is definitely more of a genuine pity for them that they are saddled with the massive chip about being a "proper" London team when everyone just thinks they're a bunch of sad jesters.

If I see they're silly costumes and the " eagle" badge on my travels I just shake my head with a wry smile...they're just like idiot children deserving of my sympathy rather than my ire.

Don't get me started on Chelsea or Man U though with city coming up hard on the rails. Once these were decent teams supported by real people then they became rabid corporate beasts.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
If Herr T is anything like me, the answer is no. The Football is to a certain extent inconsequential. The political stuff matters.

I think you'll find football matters, the political stuff is inconsequential as who's ever in government its all the ****!ng same.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I think you'll find football matters, the political stuff is inconsequential as who's ever in government its all the ****!ng same.

Politics impacts people's lives. Football doesn't. I'd certainly go on a political demo or meeting but I would not pay £40 to watch Leeds versus Brighton purely because I hate Leeds.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

Disagree totally. Whatever people say about "they are all the same", the party in power makes an enormous difference to the lives of millions of people - particularly at the moment the less well off in society. Try finding something about Question Time last Thursday and the woman who voted Conservative in May but who now seems to be an ardent Corbyn supporter.

Just added a link to something about her.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34552721

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Hmmm, good subject to bring up. I don't really understand what hate is. I don't like intolerance towards disabled or gay people or someone who chooses to be different or is naturally different. Do I hate people who are intolerant in this way? No, this makes me sad and frustrated that there are people like this in the world today.

I've quite often SAID I hate Palace but what do I really feel? I'd miss them if they weren't there and as someone said, the 5-0 and the play off defeat was the worst I have ever felt. Truly affected my life for many weeks. I don't want them to do well and can only watch them on MOTD when they lose. My boss's boss is a Palace fan and he's a great bloke and we have great banter. And one of my best mates is Palace.

I can't look at Smellhurst when I go past on the train and the sight of a Palace shirt makes my s**t itch. But hate them? No. It's rivalry and I'm now 54 so have been through all the history. I've seen the punch ups and believe me, back in the day it was just awful and even then I couldn't understand the violence and that was when it was encouraged.

I really hate Leeds though :thumbsup:

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
I recall but not very well at all, an early season game circa 1975. Palace had been up to the first division and now found themselves in the 3rd division. Brighton had lost Clough but I think still had Taylor and were going through an extended 'transitional' period. About the only thing I recall was a kid shouting out 'you lost to the Wombles'. Think Palace had lost to non league Wimbledon in a friendly. A very low key affair.
Most of us saw that clip of Alison questioning Mullery's international ability in 1970.
By chance they became our respective managers, promotion rivals and FA cup opponents when the FA Cup was massive. Bad luck and bizarre refereeing did for Brighton in those series of matches. The rest is history.
Anyway. My point is, you can question whether the Palace rivalry is truly traditional. I'd say it's more down to a sequence of events and the fact they were out nearest club as the crown flies.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't even bother with the pantomime aspect if I'm honest.

There are a couple of teams that I have a strong dislike of and wish many bad things on (Palace being the obvious one) but nothing like the hatred I've seen expressed by others. I don't, for example, get overcome with rage at the sight of a Palace shirt nor do I spit on those I know that support them...I might pity them though.

Totally agree with the word dislike...hate is the word i reserve for going to the dentist

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here