Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albions best ever start to a season?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Apologies if already covered. What's our best ever start to a season, in terms of most games without defeat?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
This season is our best start ever, twice previously we'd been unbeaten for the first 8 games and lost the 9th.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This season is our best start ever, twice previously we'd been unbeaten for the first 8 games and lost the 9th.

Do find that an amazing stat. Runs of 10 games or more without defeat at other points in the season are pretty common

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
What's our longest unbeaten run at any time during a season? I don't think we're close yet are we?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Having lost their first match of the season back in 2005/06, Reading won at Withdean and then remained unbeaten for another 32 matches. Astonishing run.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We're making history right now, enjoy the ride

Dec 29, 2011
Do find that an amazing stat. Runs of 10 games or more without defeat at other points in the season are pretty common

Statistically it's not amazing. Firstly, there probably aren't that many runs of games where we go ten unbeaten (almost 20% of the season). Secondly, during the season if you lose a game you can have another shot at starting a 10 game unbeaten run before the season ends. If you're looking at just the first ten games, you can't restart the "10 unbeaten" target until the start of next season. So during the season we could have 20 - 30 attempts at a ten game unbeaten run, yet in 10 years we'll only get 10 attempts at a "first ten games unbeaten" run. That made sense in my mind, hopefully it does to other people too.

While I'm at it, if we carry on this form of points per game, we'll end the season on 104 points. Just enough to get us promoted I'd imagine :blush:

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Statistically it's not amazing. Firstly, there probably aren't that many runs of games where we go ten unbeaten (almost 20% of the season). Secondly, during the season if you lose a game you can have another shot at starting a 10 game unbeaten run before the season ends. If you're looking at just the first ten games, you can't restart the "10 unbeaten" target until the start of next season. So during the season we could have 20 - 30 attempts at a ten game unbeaten run, yet in 10 years we'll only get 10 attempts at a "first ten games unbeaten" run. That made sense in my mind, hopefully it does to other people too.

While I'm at it, if we carry on this form of points per game, we'll end the season on 104 points. Just enough to get us promoted I'd imagine :blush:

I make it 37

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Last edited:

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Didn't Charlton Athletic go 12 games 'ish unbeaten at the start of last season ? (A lot more draws than we have had).

Dec 29, 2011
Not wishing to tempt fate but I wonder what the odds are for us to stay unbeaten all season
This might be wrong but let's assume the chance of a win or draw is 0.7%, the chance of two consecutive wins or draws is 0.7 x 0.7 = 0.7^2 = 0.49. Extrapolate to next 35 games: 0.7^35 = 0.00038% which is about 38/100,000 which is about 1 in 2,632. Obviously doesn't account for factors, the most important one being te chance of staying unbeaten in each consecutive match will increase as more proof arises about the ability of our squad vs the opposition (I.e if we win 10 in a row it's more likely we'll win the 11th).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here