Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non League Football

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I decided this season I would give Non League football a go when Albion are away. I have watched Eastbourne, Burgess Hill and this week went to Whitehawk. Whilst appreciate appeal to local people with an affiliation to club, No more for me. There must be good games but from what I have seen, standard very poor. With entrance of £10/12 it makes cost of my season ticket of £25 a game at Albion very good value. There were 200/300 in attendance. I have heard players at this level get £200 plus a game. On these gates how on earth do they survive

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I decided this season I would give Non League football a go when Albion are away. I have watched Eastbourne, Burgess Hill and this week went to Whitehawk. Whilst appreciate appeal to local people with an affiliation to club, No more for me. There must be good games but from what I have seen, standard very poor. With entrance of £10/12 it makes cost of my season ticket of £25 a game at Albion very good value. There were 200/300 in attendance. I have heard players at this level get £200 plus a game. On these gates how on earth do they survive

I sometimes watch Whitehawk or Peacehaven & Telscombe FC when Brighton are away, I didnt get to Whitehawk yesterday but I know it was 0-0.
Not sure if you can say the "standard is very poor" at Whitehawk unless it was really bad yesterday, I went last week and I think they play really good exciting football.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Must admit I feel the same having watch Burgess hill this year (I live 250 yards away from their ground). I did witness one of the best strikes I've ever seen though so not all bad. The moments of quality are very few and far between though.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Always try and head to see something if I can. Have taken in Lewes, Dulwich Hamlet and Evesham United over the last 12 months. I enjoy trying to find Albion links across the teams whether that be ex youth players, retired Pros or members of the coaching staff. Keeps it interesting.

Evesham last season was fun as they went 25 games unbeaten on a run to the Ryman League Western League Division 1 play offs before losing out. Hereford United were supposed to be in the league but folded.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Went to Whitehawk on Saturday....it was a good game despite being a 0-0 draw and I thought the standard was pretty reasonable.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
It was an excellent game at Burgess Hill on Saturday. They beat Met Police 4-2
Very good value @ £10

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I went to Leeds on Saturday and Whitehawk last Saturday. One was just something to do whilst the other was a top day out that I'm still buzzing about now :D

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I like non league football, here in Sussex normally easy to park and some good competition but more chasing a result rather than any real constructive play.

Seen Burgess Hill and I was surprised how little they tried to play, it was literally hoofball, each time you really couldnt tell whether they would win, lose or draw it just seemed lottery football, but fairplay to them they have nicked a few points and sit well for their first season in Ryman Premier and of course Chappers in the dug out.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I sometimes watch Whitehawk or Peacehaven & Telscombe FC when Brighton are away, I didnt get to Whitehawk yesterday but I know it was 0-0.
Not sure if you can say the "standard is very poor" at Whitehawk unless it was really bad yesterday, I went last week and I think they play really good exciting football.

Bit of turmoil at Peacehaven at present, think they are skint with the associated unrest with some players.

Oct 25, 2003
was going to watch the might musselmen (shoreham) quite a bit last season but unfortunately due my own footballing commitments haven't been at all this season

it's really cheap and especially good value if i take my nephew who gets in for free....he likes it because there's plenty of swearing, the occasional wonder goal and pretty much ALWAYS a mass BRAWL

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Saw Eastleigh three times last season. In theory one of the best sides outside the FL.

I was given freebies each time though my lad's youth team. The standard, even at Conference Prem (National League?) level is MILES below even the Albion's Withdean era cloggers.

The ticket prices for football at that level astound me. I can't believe anyone would consider in excess of £10 to watch it, value. those going must all just be paying it knowing they are supporting their local club. And fair play to them for that.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
It was an excellent game at Burgess Hill on Saturday. They beat Met Police 4-2
Very good value @ £10

It was indeed but, as many have said on here, the quality of our football has been quite poor this season (adjusting to life at a higher level where you don't get so much time on the ball as last season when the quality was, at times, breathtaking). On Saturday, we played with 2 strikers as opposed to pumping it up to the lone and often smaller front man and then try to win the second ball, and it paid dividends. a

Kids get in for free at Hill and 6 of

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Saw Eastleigh three times last season. In theory one of the best sides outside the FL.

I was given freebies each time though my lad's youth team. The standard, even at Conference Prem (National League?) level is MILES below even the Albion's Withdean era cloggers.

The ticket prices for football at that level astound me. I can't believe anyone would consider in excess of £10 to watch it, value. those going must all just be paying it knowing they are supporting their local club. And fair play to them for that.

I do agree, but the backdrop of sparse rickety stands with one man and his dog exaggerates the lack of quality.

It doesnt look the same if a Championship player slices his clearance out of play with a backdrop of our full to capacity 3 tiered West Stand.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I do agree, but the backdrop of sparse rickety stands with one man and his dog exaggerates the lack of quality.

It doesnt look the same if a Championship player slices his clearance out of play with a backdrop of our full to capacity 3 tiered West Stand.

I take your point, and there is probably something in it. (although Eastliegh has stands four sides, and a capacity of 4,000)

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Went to Whitehawk on Saturday....it was a good game despite being a 0-0 draw and I thought the standard was pretty reasonable.

Yep, not one of the Hawks best displays, although I thought Truro defended really well, pressurising all over the pitch and concentrating for the whole 90 minutes. Whitehawk might have made a mistake playing Sam Deering, their most creative player, too deep.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As an aside we (England) probably has the strongest non league standard in the world.

Abroad, the level drops away at an alarming rate from league 2 downwards, perhaps league 3 down in Germany, whereas here in England we somehow find a level that attracts a few hundred fans and player's commanding £100's per game as low as our league 6/7 and sometimes lower still.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here