Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not vintage form at Leeds

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...but we were still the better side, weren't we?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445154509.955012.jpg

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Leeds weren't much of a threat but we were very sloppy.

Two excellent runs from Kayal and Bong made the goals and were the difference.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The highlights on the Football leauge show didn't reflect the match stats it was a shame they didint show Bobby long range shot I just think it shows his awareness on the pitch.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We were 2nd best for 60 mins. Once Crofts came on we looked far more likely to grab a winner than Leeds did.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Really was surprised at the stats, just shows they don't tell the whole story. Overall we was lucky yesterday, but makes up for the Cardiff game when were robbed

D

Deleted member 2719

I like the fouls stats this combined with the shots show we have the hunger and winning mentality all over the pitch.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
The point surely is that it is not how you look, but how effective you are, and Albion are very effective this season, as evidenced by being top of the league yet 5 teams have scored more goals and 4 have conceded fewer. The old Hansen adage - success is winning games when not playing well - comes to mind.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Unlike last season, we had the appearance of a good side having an 'off day'. Yet still got the result.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Apart from set pieces Leeds were very poor.

Two or three managerial decisions and one piece of fortune made the difference though.

In Botaka they had the best player on the park, but substituted him.

Hughton was right to bring on Crofts and switch us to 4-5-1 with Baldock dropping deeper and March going onto the right wing.

Leeds going down to 10 men for the last few minutes gave us gaps, which, unlike at Wolves, we exploited.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Yesterday I was switching between the match thread on here and the match center on whoscored. It could have been 2 completely different games.NSC was very negative (until BZ scored) but our stats on whoscored kept getting better. Are the stats completely useless or have our expectations become too high?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Stats can be misleading. I usually follow Albion matches via the BBC text commentary (where Bozza's graphics in the OP appear to have come from) and I seem to remember that last season, even under Hyypia, we seemed to 'win' the possession stat,, even though we usually lost the match.

Never mind though - as long as records are kept, the records will show that we won 2-1. Happy days!

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
The reason we looked poor was entirely the midfield having their hands full, and Leeds having busy players who were on form in this area. This led to such phenomena as Dunk seeming shit to half who watched, and like the MotM to the other half, due to the pressure that the midfield work of Leeds led to. It meant it didn't seem like we could get in the game as we have been, making it seem like a poor performance.

I speak as someone surprised as the rest of us by the stats. Leeds' chances were a bit more telling - other than the fact that the two clear ones Albion had, we put away. We looked under pressure most times they had the ball - a lot of our possession was containment compared to their high-energy hustle and bustle.

Just my take on it. I wonder if we'd have had Murphy it might have been more of a Ipswich end-to-end scenario - he as a player who could have definitely put a ropey Leeds defence on the back foot.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We were 2nd best for 60 mins. Once Crofts came on we looked far more likely to grab a winner than Leeds did.

Agree mostly. There seemed to be two key moments. The first was substituting Greer, who was at least two out of the following three: ill, injured and awful. Our defence was pretty decent thereafter, and we limited their opportunities. The second was when Crofts came on. I'm not so sure it was him that made the difference though, and more the change in formation. So well done CH. These two were very early substitutions, both made before the hour mark. The passing from our front six (beyond perhaps Kayal) was really poor yesterday.
But, then again, beyond Cook who looked awesome, Leeds weren't up to much. That winger was full of tricks but a bit like McCourt, severely limited in terms of end product.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The reason we looked poor was entirely the midfield having their hands full, and Leeds having busy players who were on form in this area. This led to such phenomena as Dunk seeming shit to half who watched, and like the MotM to the other half, due to the pressure that the midfield work of Leeds led to. It meant it didn't seem like we could get in the game as we have been, making it seem like a poor performance.

I speak as someone surprised as the rest of us by the stats. Leeds' chances were a bit more telling - other than the fact that the two clear ones Albion had, we put away. We looked under pressure most times they had the ball - a lot of our possession was containment compared to their high-energy hustle and bustle.

Just my take on it. I wonder if we'd have had Murphy it might have been more of a Ipswich end-to-end scenario - he as a player who could have definitely put a ropey Leeds defence on the back foot.

Spot on. Every game this season, Kayal and Stephens have dominated the midfield, despite only being a two. Leeds were the first team that made that partnership look suspect, but this might be as much to do with the fact that Stephens had a poor game, especially in terms of distribution.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Lewis Cook is a great player for Leeds, giving us lots of problems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here