Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Z Cars

I get why Everton have the theme music being a Liverpool club, even though they dropped it and it was Moyes who insisted it be brought back.

But why have Watford got it too?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Watford F.C. also adopted the theme in the early 1960s, as it was then manager Bill McGarry's favourite TV programme.[3] It has been played as the players come onto pitch since then. During the rise of the club through the leagues in the 1970s and 1980s, it became associated with the club's success under manager Graham Taylor.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Some of the exteriors in the early episodes were filmed in Crawley as the programme was set in a new town.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well you see Count Arthur Strong is really Steve Delaney, and he appeared once in Z cars, or was it Juliet Bravo?, Steve Delaney I mean, not Count Arthur Strong. Anyway, Steve, as Count Arthur, was good friends with Jimmy Clitheroe who in turn was a long time uncle of Barry from Watford. Yes I think that's how the story goes. And Barry from Watford drew inspiration from that well known Toffee woman, Super Nanny. Hence the Z cars Evertonian/Watford confusion. It's all rather simple when you dig right down into the history of it.

Anyway, enough of that, let's just enjoy a Barry from Watford video instead :thumbsup:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I never understood the Everton thing and Z-Cars as I never understood the Toffees, but I'm sure there is a good reason, toffee factory in town or something. I also feel very proud that we have a tune that is totally unique to us and sets us apart from anyone else. Some team has a Kinks track don't they? Just doesn't seem right. I can understand Liverpool adopting Walk On, it seems very apt. As a matter of interest, what are clubs tunes? I'm not sure of most, Hammers obviously, Liverpool, Everton, what do others do?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I never understood the Everton thing and Z-Cars as I never understood the Toffees, but I'm sure there is a good reason, toffee factory in town or something. I also feel very proud that we have a tune that is totally unique to us and sets us apart from anyone else. Some team has a Kinks track don't they? Just doesn't seem right. I can understand Liverpool adopting Walk On, it seems very apt. As a matter of interest, what are clubs tunes? I'm not sure of most, Hammers obviously, Liverpool, Everton, what do others do?

Is the correct answer. There was a toffee factory in the Everton district of Liverpool hence the toffee men epithet. It makes tem sound shit though. Seaguuullls being a much cooler thing to shout inappropriately in random places when one spots a Brighton related item. Basildon being one desolate town centre where I, personally, have done this.

Btw Liverpool sing " you'll never walk alone" as covered by Gerry and the pacemakers who were once a popular act in the city. Odd that they don't wheel the old bugger out at every bloody opportunity ad infinitum every time ther is some tragic event that the Scouse want us all to feel sorry for them for one reason or another.

Forever.

And ever.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here