Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - Day visit

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
(Done a search, can only find one post from years ago, so worth asking again i think..)

Cheap tix for tomorrow to PHD, and taking 9+7 year old boys who have requested a 'Military' day out (Love HMS Belfast etc)

A lot to do obviously, but any route planning to be advised of ?

Action Stations, HMS Alliance (Submarine) and Victory seem top of the list as it stands, but the water taxi stopped running on 5th October, so how to you get to the Subs.. Walk/Drive ?

Any advice welcome :thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
HMS Alliance/The Submarine Museum is in Gosport rather than Portsmouth.

Walking from PHD isn't an option, best bet is likely to be the Gosport Ferry across the harbour and walk from there (although I can't remember how far it is from the Ferry to the Museum) or drive there as a seperate destination from PHD.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
According to the Sub Museum site, its a 10 minute walk from the Gosport Ferry terminal.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The ticket for the Dockyard lasts for 12 months or used too. The Subs and explosion are on the Gosport side and used to have separate entry. There is plenty in the Dockyard to keep anyone amused for more than a day. Gosport needs a separate trip, there is a ferry to Gosport but if you do it separately probably better to drive direct.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I went last year on the 1st November, the boats were still running then. It is a brilliant day out, only £21 an adult ticket that lasts a year, RM museum in Southsea is a bit far away for a day ticket, so worth going back for that and HMS Alliance, which is Gosport side and the Fleet Ordinance Depot at Clarence yard.
The stuff in the dockyard is great, Victory of course, HMS Warrior is a must, especially for kids, The Mary Rose is very interesting and well set up with lits of stuff for the nippers.There is a new, old ship from Galipolli, which hadn't opened when we went, but if it is of the standard of everything else, it will be terrific.
Go and have a great time, I'm sure you'll and the youngsters will love it

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Been to Historic Dockyard a few times, last time was 2013, but I don't remember the submarine.
HMS Warrior is worth looking at and the boys will enjoy Action Stations.
Also remember a boat trip that gets up close to the navy ships in the harbour.
We got a family ticket which you can use on another visit within a year of purchase, but you can't visit the larger attractions like Victory twice. I doubt if you will see everything in one day anyway.

I thought the submarines were in Gosport and separate from the Historic Dockyard, unless this is a new attraction.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
HMS Warrior is the best bit but there's enough there to keep you going for about three hours imo. Good value what with the 12 month return thing.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I went last year on the 1st November, the boats were still running then. It is a brilliant day out, only £21 an adult ticket that lasts a year, RM museum in Southsea is a bit far away for a day ticket, so worth going back for that and HMS Alliance, which is Gosport side and the Fleet Ordinance Depot at Clarence yard.
The stuff in the dockyard is great, Victory of course, HMS Warrior is a must, especially for kids, The Mary Rose is very interesting and well set up with lits of stuff for the nippers.There is a new, old ship from Galipolli, which hadn't opened when we went, but if it is of the standard of everything else, it will be terrific.
Go and have a great time, I'm sure you'll and the youngsters will love it

This..and at this time of year not to crowded

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Also of interest in Gosport is "Explosion! The Museum of Naval Firepower" but this really needs a car to visit this and the Submarine Museum as they are at opposite ends of the town. When I visited there was the empty (I hope) casing of a nuclear weapon as carried by Fleet Air Arm aircraft plus all sorts of historic Naval weapons.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Took our two in the summer holidays. Victory, Warrior and Action Stations will keep all of you entertained for a day. Take your own food.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
IT may not meet your specific needs, but the Mary Rose museum is superb. Everyone I know who has been there agrees. But a great day out all round.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Portsmouth is a very interesting place. It is worth going up the Spinnaker (a viewing platform with a view) and a visit to the Stille & West is a pleasure. Just have a stroll around old Portsmouth.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Cheers All. Up early and at 'em.. (Train engineering at Guildford; no wonder they doing half price..! :rolleyes:)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Portsmouth is a very interesting place. It is worth going up the Spinnaker (a viewing platform with a view) and a visit to the Stille & West is a pleasure. Just have a stroll around old Portsmouth.

This. I used to live in Old Portsmouth, it is a very interesting part of the city, in fact compared to most of the city it is a picture!

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
You cannot see it all on a day. Travel zoo did a ticket ,two adults and one child for £24.00. For that you can everything and it lasts for a year.
The Warrior is very amazing ,the free boat trip round the harbour , and the Victory are all very good too.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
(Done a search, can only find one post from years ago, so worth asking again i think..)

Cheap tix for tomorrow to PHD, and taking 9+7 year old boys who have requested a 'Military' day out (Love HMS Belfast etc)

A lot to do obviously, but any route planning to be advised of ?

Action Stations, HMS Alliance (Submarine) and Victory seem top of the list as it stands, but the water taxi stopped running on 5th October, so how to you get to the Subs.. Walk/Drive ?

Any advice welcome :thumbsup:

Did your kids enjoy it?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Did your kids enjoy it?

The 45 year old kid especially...

Despite a Kwell beforehand, the little one projectile vomited on A3 near Wisley (coming from S/London) so an initial clear up followed by a £28 spend at services for proper cleaning kit put us a little bit behind, arriving at 10.30 - Straight on 10.45 water taxi to Sub museum.

The sub and free guide (Ex-Crew from 1963) were great, and only minor criticism is that the water taxi's back are every hour, so if your trying to cram a day, then it's easy to lose 30mins while waiting (and you have to, as the queue builds up..) and there's an extended wait to get in the sub once you land.. Minor, but worth noting..

Onto HMS Warrior - brilliant, awesomely big, lots to see and touch (cutlass' cannons, and rifles/muskets) Good volunteers to talk and discuss with kids about working engines and lifting the propeller etc (~400 men to do?!)

Into Action Stations for remainder of afternoon for science/tech stuff, simulators, shoot em up's, and the Navy's take on a Bond/Army film.

Pizza Express in Port Solent, and Kids asleep by M27/A3M..

Tickets valid for a year, so Victory, Explosion and other boats to do another time..

Very Very good indeed. Cheers to all for the pointers and advice given in thread. :thumbsup:

Toying if a day trip to Bovington is too much..

For anyone else reading this write up with Ship/transport interest, we've done Chatham dockyard, which happened to have a Steam fair on same day too, and that was also brilliant.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The 45 year old kid especially...

Despite a Kwell beforehand, the little one projectile vomited on A3 near Wisley (coming from S/London) so an initial clear up followed by a £28 spend at services for proper cleaning kit put us a little bit behind, arriving at 10.30 - Straight on 10.45 water taxi to Sub museum.

The sub and free guide (Ex-Crew from 1963) were great, and only minor criticism is that the water taxi's back are every hour, so if your trying to cram a day, then it's easy to lose 30mins while waiting (and you have to, as the queue builds up..) and there's an extended wait to get in the sub once you land.. Minor, but worth noting..

Onto HMS Warrior - brilliant, awesomely big, lots to see and touch (cutlass' cannons, and rifles/muskets) Good volunteers to talk and discuss with kids about working engines and lifting the propeller etc (~400 men to do?!)

Into Action Stations for remainder of afternoon for science/tech stuff, simulators, shoot em up's, and the Navy's take on a Bond/Army film.

Pizza Express in Port Solent, and Kids asleep by M27/A3M..

Tickets valid for a year, so Victory, Explosion and other boats to do another time..

Very Very good indeed. Cheers to all for the pointers and advice given in thread. :thumbsup:

Toying if a day trip to Bovington is too much..

For anyone else reading this write up with Ship/transport interest, we've done Chatham dockyard, which happened to have a Steam fair on same day too, and that was also brilliant.

Glad you had a good time, I m ex Navy, but I think the Dockyard is one of the best days out of its kind in the country

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here