Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Post match thread - Leeds

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
YESS!!

Apart from the last stages of the game we can't really say we deserved to win, but how good is it to win when not playing great and finally end our October hoodoo!

Leeds started well and pretty much bossed the first-half and probably should have lead at half-time, how Wood missed his free header from six yards out is unbelievable. We scored with our first attack of the game, great ball from Kayal, who I thought was over-run in the midfield today, to play in March who had a delightful low finish across the goalkeeper. Defending for their equaliser was poor and we let the centre half run free in the box who glanced his header past Stockdale. We then had a great chance at the other end where Rosenior teed up Stephens but his lacklustre shot was straight at the keeper, would have been a pretty similar goal to the one he scored up at Bolton a few weeks ago. After that it was pretty much all Leeds going in to the break, they had the fight and battle in the middle of the field where as we seemed to lack any composure. Pleasing to go in at half time level.

Second half and one key decision by Hughton to bring on Crofts and play with five in midfield and we finally got a foot hold on the game. March switched from the left to the right but this decision is rather baffling considering Solly does not use his right foot and looked to cut inside at every opportunity. Uwe and Dunk were a solid unit together in the second half and Wood was barely getting anything from them, Leeds then rather strangely took off their liveliest player in their number 20 who look dangerous on the ball and the majority of their forward play came through him.

Buckley then came on and got booed by quite a few which majority of fans found baffling, do these fickle fans not remember the goals he scored and the points he won us? However he didn't really do much and I can't really remember him touching the ball too many times. Key change was to bring on Zamora for the poor Hemed as usually Hughton brings on Ince to shore up the midfield. Great through ball from Bong to Bobby and the finish was delightful much to delight of the Albion fans who went delirious. Another key moment was Leeds losing their centre half through a bad looking injury, with him still on the field I don't think we'd have got the winner. Happy days!

One negative I suppose without sounding too harsh today has to be our support, we made little to no noise from when Leeds equalised up until Bobby scored, maybe the fans were nervous today or maybe it was the performance. Can't say I remember us being so quiet away from home for such a long period. However, after the goal it was non-stop noise.

On to Bristol City midweek, potential banana skin but hopefully a better performance will see us get all 3 points.

Yoda

English & European
Key change was to bring on Zamora for the poor Hemed as usually Hughton brings on Ince to shore up the midfield.

I would've said the key change was bringing Crofts on for Rosenior, going 3 in the centre of Midfield and moving Baldock wider. Leeds were constantly over running us in midfield until that change.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I would've said the key change was bringing Crofts on for Rosenior, going 3 in the centre of Midfield and moving Baldock wider. Leeds were constantly over running us in midfield until that change.

Spot on. Their young lad Cook looked very impressive and caused us several problems. When Crofty came on we looked much more assured in the middle of the park which gave us licence to go forward.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Very hard to disagree, in my original post I said it was a key decision and stopped their midfield from pretty much bossing ours. Great to see him back involved.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I booed Buckley. Should have gone with respect for the club.
Bridcutt I can understand because he refused to play for the club, however Will carried on playing for the team after a January transfer fell through and you can't really say he lacked effort? His goals at Bolton and other performances later in the season ensured we finished in the play-offs.

Each to their own though, I applauded him when he came on. We can't forget the goals he scored for the club and some key performances he made.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
The odd thing was: I read the online Guardian match review of the game, which suggested that Leeds dominated, had the majority of chances, and were unlucky to be hit with a counter-attacking sucker punch. Most of the Albion fans' reviews I've seen suggested we were well below par.

However, the possession and shot statistics are significantly in our favour, somehow.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
The odd thing was: I read the online Guardian match review of the game, which suggested that Leeds dominated, had the majority of chances, and were unlucky to be hit with a counter-attacking sucker punch. Most of the Albion fans' reviews I've seen suggested we were well below par.

However, the possession and shot statistics are significantly in our favour, somehow.

I've seen the possession stats and was quite amazed that they were in our favour, I can't really remember us having too much of the ball today except from the last few minutes. Leeds did dominate the opening half but definitely not the second. Draw would have been a fair result in all honesty but who cares about that? :albion2:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I love the fact that we have a plan B and can switch to 4-3-3. I have one concern however, will we start playing 4-3-3 to accommodate Crofts? Because we are playing some blinders as a 4-4-2.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I've seen the possession stats and was quite amazed that they were in our favour, I can't really remember us having too much of the ball today except from the last few minutes. Leeds did dominate the opening half but definitely not the second. Draw would have been a fair result in all honesty but who cares about that? :albion2:

Not remotely sympathetic towards Leeds.

We should have battered Cardiff, but they nabbed a draw. What goes around, comes around.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
There was great post-match entertainment on the way home listening to Radio Leeds - 'the Leeds United Special'.
The co-commentator was Noel Whelan and he really laid into bothe Buckley ("done absolutely nothing yet") and then Wood ("poor with his chances").
Then an interview with Rossler - "much improved Leeds performance", "we battered them", "we made Brighton look poor". He said that he took the no 20 off because he was not giving any end product (but did not appear to recognise that he was occupying 2 Brighton players to tackle him). He blamed three turning points: bad bounce leading to our first goal; missed header by Wood; injury to the centre half.
No Uwe, we made ourselves look poor at times by sloppy passing and general play. Leeds had so many free-kicks from dangerous positions that were wasted, except the one for the goal.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Totally delighted with the win but we really were poor, Greer and Dunk had awful first halves at the back and Hemed and Baldock produced very little up top. If I were chasing Brighton I'd be encouraged.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Most of the Albion fans' reviews I've seen suggested we were well below par.
We were. But that doesn't mean we were 2nd best. Maybe a lot of our fans were judging us on what they expect from the team that have played so well this season, rather than comparing us to Leeds. Wood should have scored a header, but I can't think of many other clear chances they had (I'm ignoring the Stockdale clearance), and we had chances too. We wasted a lot of corners, but at least we had them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here