Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cellino has got the right HUMP about being on Sky all the time

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
http://www.leedsunited.com/news/article/hjw98zuz9meq1ahw9h4xa0jei

Massimo Cellino has called upon the Football League to re-think their strategy with regard to televised games after growing increasingly frustrated by the number of the club’s rescheduled home fixtures. By the time we enter the New Year, United will have had four televised home fixtures and six away, taking the total to a joint league high of 10 following the recent changes made to December’s games.
The United chairman has now moved to express his disappointment at how he feels the club’s stature is being unfairly “exploited”, as well as outlining the steps he will take in a bid to make the League review the process.
He said:
“Our loyal Season Ticket Holders are being unfairly penalised by the large amount of fixture changes.
They have already paid to attend these games but many are no longer able to and attendances are suffering as a result of this.
This affects our revenue to a level where the club is losing money with each televised home game, as Sky’s compensation payments are not enough to cover the losses in ticketing, retail and catering. We cannot just accept for our schedule to be changed with games moved to Thursdays and Sundays.

We are a football club and tradition gives us a sense of belonging to our community. Our players need the passion and support of their fans at Elland Road – we should have the right to play there in front of our fans at the traditional time. We understand the value that Leeds United brings to the Football League, but we should be shown respect for that - we shouldn’t be exploited because of it.

We do not want to challenge the Football League or Sky, we simply want them to listen to us. We have used the correct channels in appealing to the Football League but the issues remain, so we have no choice but to take strong action to protect the future of Leeds United. In doing this we must be civil, show respect and remain within the rules. We must not be violent in our way of protesting.

Football League rules state that clubs must make a provision for at least 2,000 away tickets to be sold. Therefore, in line with those requirements, we will be selling no more than 2,000 tickets for each away game from now on. We understand that this means a number of fans will now be unable to attend certain away games, but this is the sacrifice needed to make the Football League take notice.
We are encouraging you, as supporters, to think before purchasing ticket for away matches – our silence, especially away from home, will demonstrate our disappointment.

At away games our supporters are being taken advantage of because they travel in such large numbers. This unfairly benefits the home clubs, who increase the price of tickets, food and drinks for our fans. But again, the Football League are doing nothing to help us when they should be looking after their members – that is their responsibility to us.

As a club we can no longer continue to be exploited like this and we are calling for change. If these issues cannot be addressed then I fear for the future of Leeds United, which is why I am taking this stance and calling for the fans to follow. The future of our club is at stake.”

Blimey. The owner actually discouraging Leeds fans from travelling away. Interesting to see how that plays out.
Melodramatic gubbins of course. The future of Leeds Utd is NOT at stake because of Sky ramming them down our throats every other week and changing a few kickoff times, that's a load of bobbins. Cellino is FAR more of a risk to Leeds Utd with his curious habit of sacking managers every other month.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Might be missing the obvious here, but I can't see how stopping his own fans going to away games is going to help his cause ... more likely just piss them off

I thought a club could refuse to have any home game televised .. seemingly not ???

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Not winning at home since March is keeping numbers down more, but as that is partly his fault then it's best putting the blame elsewhere

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought a club could refuse to have any home game televised .. seemingly not ???

I think you can only refuse if its on police advice for whatever reason - you can't refuse "just because"

If you take Sky's money, you dance to their tune.

Kuma

*dons shades*
Aug 22, 2015
Midlands
So their away fans are being exploited but it is okay for them to exploit other away fans?

Cellino is a mess

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Not winning at home since March is keeping numbers down more, but as that is partly his fault then it's best putting the blame elsewhere

That will CHANGE Saturday of course when we rock up. We do so LOVE giving teams on a poor run three points Birmingham, Wigan and Blackpool spring to mind as recent examples.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You can refuse, it's frowned upon though.
Cellino is being a little disingenuous in this regard.

You sure ?
Each Championship club currently receives £2.3m a year from Sky (unless they are already receiving parachute payments). I'm sure that means that they are contractually obliged to allow TV coverage whenever Sky come knocking, unless there is a very valid reason why the game cannot be switched.

Sky aren't going to invest those sums of money only to be told to go away.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
You sure ?
Each Championship club currently receives £2.3m a year from Sky (unless they are already receiving parachute payments). I'm sure that means that they are contractually obliged to allow TV coverage whenever Sky come knocking, unless there is a very valid reason why the game cannot be switched.

Sky aren't going to invest those sums of money only to be told to go away.

I'm sure I read an article recently where it said so, might even have been PB that said it. I'll see if I can locate later.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Rosler today:

"We want to improve on last year and the main thing is that we stay calm," he told BBC Radio Leeds. "My personal aim is to finish top 10. Is that realistic? Yes. I said from day one promotion is not on my agenda, it is not possible this season."

Hmmm...not sure Cellino's personal aim will be 10th. I'll be surprised if Rosler is still there on bonfire night.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Moaning that they're on telly too much? My God, the bloke really is in tune with most football supporters!
But....saying the attendances are down because of tv coverage and then limiting away support to 2k, yep, very shrewd business sense. Unless of course you charge an few limbs to cover the cost.
As their famous song said
So we'll pay through the nose at Leeds Utd

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here