Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boarding Passes & Duty Free - I thought we didn't need to show them?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Just been told by the shop assistant that they can't serve unless show and apparently the "papers got it all wrong"

Anybody know the truth? Reluctantly my wife had to produce her pass in order to buy perfume just now. Are Gatwick staff deliberately misleading and their employers pocketing extra tax still?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Hooray Martin Lewis has just announced on Good Morning Britain That in WDF AIRPORTS you HAVE TO SHOW your boarding card.
Please note passengers that keep arguing about it.

This, from one of the Perfume Ladies.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As above. Tax and duty free shopping is only available to passengers flying outside of the EU, so you need to show your boarding pass to check this.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Just been told by the shop assistant that they can't serve unless show and apparently the "papers got it all wrong"

Anybody know the truth? Reluctantly my wife had to produce her pass in order to buy perfume just now. Are Gatwick staff deliberately misleading and their employers pocketing extra tax still?

May I ask why your wife was"reluctant" to carry out this very simple and I'm certain non stressy evolution?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
May I ask why your wife was"reluctant" to carry out this very simple and I'm certain non stressy evolution?

Maybe Mrs Portlock doesn't like being used by big corporations like this? I'm the same.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
How is she being used? It's just a check to see that she's entitled to pay the tax free price. No different to checking the ID of an 18 year old in a boozer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
how does showing a boarding pass to prove you are entitled to tax free shopping equate to being used by big corporations?

I bought myself another Swatch watch when flying to Spain a few weeks ago, but still had to show my boarding pass. It was £5 cheaper than the high street price.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I bought myself another Swatch watch when flying to Spain a few weeks ago, but still had to show my boarding pass. It was £5 cheaper than the high street price.

You were not buying duty free goods.......why did you have to show your boarding pass?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
how does showing a boarding pass to prove you are entitled to tax free shopping equate to being used by big corporations?

Because NON duty free shops were asking for boarding passes when there is no need to show them. They asked for the passes because if you were travelling outside the EU, they could still claim back the VAT, but instead of passing this saving onto customers, they were keeping the profit themselves, hence the big backlash. So in other words, by showing the big corporations (Boots, WHS etc) your boarding pass without having to, you are helping them make more profit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i gather its up to a company to try it on or not. outside the duty free they can still ask for the boarding pass so that they can claim back VAT if you are going out of EU.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm guessing that it'd still have been £5 cheaper if you'd been flying to Manchester - it was just a special airport price, probably because they sell such high volumes.

The boarding pass was possibly entered into the till to check that you weren't entitled to have the VAT deducted as well, in which case it'd have been 16.7% cheaper.

Edit: so from the above it sounds like some shops keep the VAT for themselves, which is a bit cheeky but probably why they are able to offer discounted prices to all passengers regardless of destination.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Because NON duty free shops were asking for boarding passes when there is no need to show them. They asked for the passes because if you were travelling outside the EU, they could still claim back the VAT, but instead of passing this saving onto customers, they were keeping the profit themselves, hence the big backlash. So in other words, by showing the big corporations (Boots, WHS etc) your boarding pass without having to, you are helping them make more profit.

i understand this fully

my point was if you are buying duty free perfume you cant really complain about showing you are entitled to it,the rest of the shopping tell them to stick it somewhere unpleasant

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...So in other words, by showing the big corporations (Boots, WHS etc) your boarding pass without having to, you are helping them make more profit.

oh the horror! or one could just not shop in the airport, or at those chains at all, if it means so much.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
i understand this fully

my point was if you are buying duty free perfume you cant really complain about showing you are entitled to it,the rest of the shopping tell them to stick it somewhere unpleasant

Apologies, mis-interpreted your post I quoted.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The question was about her reluctance. I am guessing she was reluctant due to the much publicised issue. She may have been wrong in this case, but this I'm sure was the reason for her reluctance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To me, you're a purchaser of Ewe & Me, a scent based on the exhalations of a cleanly sheep just seconds after they've just finished their third Mr Kipling Bramley Apple Pie.

I'm more a Armani Code person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here