Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have astronomers discovered an alien structure?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
― Arthur C. Clarke

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as they use a bit of a wobble in the picture as the measure for detecting anything that far, i dont really see how they can be more specific that "there's an object". its not like they can discern shapes or anything.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
And only 1500 light years away. What we are seeing now occurred in 515 AD

Yes, damn you the speed of light. However, the mere presence of an alien structure, Dyson Sphere or not would be a game changer for the evolved apes on THIS planet.

Also, and civilisation that was able to construct a Dyson Sphere 1500 years ago could be far advanced by now.... Or extinct

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
Yes, damn you the speed of light. However, the mere presence of an alien structure, Dyson Sphere or not would be a game changer for the evolved apes on THIS planet.

Also, and civilisation that was able to construct a Dyson Sphere 1500 years ago could be far advanced by now.... Or extinct

...OR on their way here.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You sound like you know far more about this than makes me feel comfortable. What is your dastardly plot, I wonder? I have a twitch in my sonic skrewdriver finger . . . .

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Meanwhile in the canteen. ( I'm sorry , any excuse.)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I remember Larry Niven's Ringworld books. They featured a Dyson sphere. Amazing concept and unimaginable to me that one would be discovered in my lifetime.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Or, already here.

iain-dowie.jpg

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
as they use a bit of a wobble in the picture as the measure for detecting anything that far, i dont really see how they can be more specific that "there's an object". its not like they can discern shapes or anything.

What? Have you actually read the reports?

http://kepler.nasa.gov/

Kepler doesn't measure wobble. It measures starlight and looks for the characteristic dip as objects transit the face of the star between it and the spacecraft. It relies on line of sight and so only works if the plane of the orbit is in exact alignment. This implies then that it can only discover a fraction of the stars with planets. What it does mean is you can deduce the size of the object. Something reduces the starlight by 22% (as seen from Earth 1500 light years away) of a star 1.5x the size of our Sun must be vast.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here