Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guitar Advice

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
I used to... great guitar. Your last comment makes me think that you really need to get a Gibson. Always get the best you can afford as you will always want the real thing/ a better guitar! I sold mine and got a used Gibson LP Studio in Silverburst.... awesome guitar and not much more than a new Epiphone.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I used to... great guitar. Your last comment makes me think that you really need to get a Gibson. Always get the best you can afford as you will always want the real thing/ a better guitar! I sold mine and got a used Gibson LP Studio in Silverburst.... awesome guitar and not much more than a new Epiphone.

I'd definitely prefer a Gibson, no question.

However, I've not played for 8-9 years now so would be almost starting from scratch. I know all the basics etc but it'll take me a few weeks/months to get back into gear.

Also, I'm currently looking online at a new Epi Standard at £235.00 which is a very decent price.
The cheapest Gibson LP's I can see are £600 upwards.

Quite a jump!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

If you're interested, below are the links to the 2 guitars that I'm looking at. Any advice is welcome!

Les Paul Standard - £236.00

Gibson LPM (2015) - £574.00

Edit: Also bear in mind that I'd be forking out £50-£75 on a hard case for the Epi - whilst the Gibson comes with one as standard.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Get out there & play some, see what feels right.
Well worth keeping an eye on the second hand market too, you might well get a better guitar - Gibson quality control recently has been disappointing and they've brought out some frankly weird new models in the last few years

I think Epiphone guitars are amazing value for their price. I've got a 335 dot which is so close in quality to the Gibson 335 I had a few years ago, you would really be hard pressed to notice a difference tonaly.
I know a few professional players, both theatre pit musicians and rock and roll guitarists that use Epiphone gear, and on a shopping trip down Denmark Street had an interesting chat with a guy in one shop who reckoned that most people would be hard pressed telling the difference difference between high end Epi' and low end Gibson
Check a few out, play a few and find one that suits.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Cheers guys.

Get out there & play some, see what feels right.
Well worth keeping an eye on the second hand market too, you might well get a better guitar - Gibson quality control recently has been disappointing and they've brought out some frankly weird new models in the last few years

I've just spent the best part of an hour reading the LPM reviews, and whilst I can bag this guitar at a really good price, a few reviewers are advising it may be worth steering clear of 2015 models, as you also said in your post.

I think Epiphone guitars are amazing value for their price. I've got a 335 dot which is so close in quality to the Gibson 335 I had a few years ago, you would really be hard pressed to notice a difference tonaly.
I know a few professional players, both theatre pit musicians and rock and roll guitarists that use Epiphone gear, and on a shopping trip down Denmark Street had an interesting chat with a guy in one shop who reckoned that most people would be hard pressed telling the difference difference between high end Epi' and low end Gibson
Check a few out, play a few and find one that suits.

It looks like the differences might not be too noticeable for a pub-gigger or someone who might record a few bits at home.
I've also watched a couple of 'blindfold tests' on Youtube which are interesting!

I'll walk past my local guitar shop on the way home and see if they've got any Epiphone Standard's in stock.

Cheers!

Cheers guys.

I've just spent the best part of an hour reading the LPM reviews, and whilst I can bag this guitar at a really good price, a few reviewers are advising it may be worth steering clear of 2015 models, as you also said in your post.

It looks like the differences might not be too noticeable for a pub-gigger or someone who might record a few bits at home.
I've also watched a couple of 'blindfold tests' on Youtube which are interesting!

I'll walk past my local guitar shop on the way home and see if they've got any Epiphone Standard's in stock.

Cheers!

Well I know two bands, both signed, both on the international tour circuit who use them.

Im a sound engineer working way above pub level (not knocking pub stuff or showing off) if that counts for anything by way of reference.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Well I know two bands, both signed, both on the international tour circuit who use them.

Im a sound engineer working way above pub level (not knocking pub stuff or showing off) if that counts for anything by way of reference.

Cheers, that's good to know.

There's been a fair few musicians over the years who swear by Epihone, including the Stones and Beatles.
It's the only 'copy' brand I think I'd ever go for.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Are we putting the NSC BAND together?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Cheers guys.

Cheers!

Good luck! Try Badlands on Preston Road too. Less stock but considerably less bull**** ;)

Last edited:

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
Just wish i could play mine ,i do try but just dont get it dont think the old brain is up to it

scooter1

How soon is now?
If it's an LP style guitar you're set on then have a look at Tokai. It's a shame they have Love Rock on the headstock, as opposed to Les Paul but the build quality is very good, often better than Gibsons. I work in the guitar industry and I'm amazed that people are prepared to pay 4 figures for Fender and Gibson branded guitars, without even trying them, simply because of what's written on the headstock

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
If it's an LP style guitar you're set on then have a look at Tokai. It's a shame they have Love Rock on the headstock, as opposed to Les Paul but the build quality is very good, often better than Gibsons. I work in the guitar industry and I'm amazed that people are prepared to pay 4 figures for Fender and Gibson branded guitars, without even trying them, simply because of what's written on the headstock

Yep, they're well worth a look (although I believe you're overstating the case a tad)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here