Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm making bacon. Anyone else make their own food or drink stuff?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's day 2 of bacon curing here at Tubthumper Towers. My venture into the world of making my own bacon. The big day is Saturday when it will be unpacked and sampled.

I know of one other bacon maker, who has been helpful with some tips, and a beer brewer. Anyone else make stuff?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's day 2 of bacon curing here at Tubthumper Towers. My venture into the world of making my own bacon. The big day is Saturday when it will be unpacked and sampled.

I know of one other bacon maker, who has been helpful with some tips, and a beer brewer. Anyone else make stuff?

David Cameron used to be a bacon maker in his earlier years reportedly, though he is now believed to be cured.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I have now perfected fresh pizza dough.
I use tomato and mescarpone sauce on the base and let the family choose their own toppings.
My favourite is goats cheese, olive and spinach with a balsamic dressing.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Never tried butter - good idea. Any tips?

I make my own bread, jam, marmalade, and hot and cold smoked meats and fish. Latest dalliance is damson jelly.

Butter is just a question of churning full fat milk, you can do it in a jam jar. Cheese though is a real bugger to get right. Interested how you make your own fish though.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
When living back in England I used to make a lot of home brewed Elderflower wine and Blackberry wine. Got quite good at it after a couple of years. Over here been experimenting with making alcoholic ginger beer and mango cider but not happy with the results yet.

Home made bacon sounds fantastic.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Bread (albeit using a bread-maker), jam and chutney.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Never tried butter - good idea. Any tips?

I make my own bread, jam, marmalade, and hot and cold smoked meats and fish. Latest dalliance is damson jelly.

Just this minute got a loaf out the oven, which looks a fine specimen. What's your recipe? Mine came via a friend, who works for a bakery in your parts, called I think The Pump House Bakery. Three days from start to finish, although it doesn't entail too much work in between.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Rock cakes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here