Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Yank has been in my bank...............

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 2719

Someone has been snooping in our account at 4.15 this morning the bank said it was a yank.

I have now changed passwords etc to stop the situation the bank asked about our antivirus which i replied we have microsoft security essentials.

1) is Security essentials good enough.
2) can you run another antivirus on the same pc (as i had issues years ago with Norton and mcafee on the same pc as i could not fully uninstall one of them)?

What is the best set up guys and gals?

Ps could it be Bill Gates ???

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Imho MSE is more than sufficient if run parallel to common sense.

Opening emails and attachments from unknown sources or visiting odd sites is asking for trouble.

Running more than one anti-virus can cause conflicts and issues.

To ensure cleanliness and continued, complete protection run a proper online scan once a week eg. Trend/Eset/F-Secure.

Clean your PC belly button fluff with CCleaner regularly and Defrag (not Windows but Piriform again) for general maintenance.

Job's a chicken...imho.

D

Deleted member 2719

Opening emails and attachments from unknown sources or visiting odd sites is asking for trouble.

To ensure cleanliness and continued, complete protection run a proper online scan once a week eg. Trend/Eset/F-Secure.

Clean your PC belly button fluff with CCleaner regularly and Defrag (not Windows but Piriform again) for general maintenance.

Job's a chicken...imho.

I may have to digest this later as just going out.

i have once opened an attachment by accident as my brain was not in gear. If this was done should how do rid the Yank looking at my Bank?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Someone has been snooping in our account at 4.15 this morning the bank said it was a yank.

I have now changed passwords etc to stop the situation the bank asked about our antivirus which i replied we have microsoft security essentials.

1) is Security essentials good enough.
2) can you run another antivirus on the same pc (as i had issues years ago with Norton and mcafee on the same pc as i could not fully uninstall one of them)?

What is the best set up guys and gals?

Ps could it be Bill Gates ???

Maybe it was the R2D2 checking that you had paid your direct debit since March?

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace

Job's a chicken...imho.

At a tangent , I was surprised to find recently that Defrag is both unnecessary and actively bad for SSD drives.

Apparently this is due to the way files are accessed, and to the storage having a limited shelf life for number of write operations.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
At a tangent , I was surprised to find recently that Defrag is both unnecessary and actively bad for SSD drives.

Apparently this is due to the way files are accessed, and to the storage having a limited shelf life for number of write operations.

I agree in part, although fragmented. It will depend on your version of Windows also.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had an incident a few years ago. The scam was when you used a card abroad someone rang the bank so say the card was lost and request issue of a new one. At the same time the person paid to set up a post-office redirection was set up on my house. My card would then be redirected to the post-office where the person would collect the card. The idea being that the card would be used on the first day of a holiday and the crook would have a week or two time on his side before anyone realised something was up.

Interesting scam, but thankfully I rumbled it as I used my card was used on the last day and I queried the post-office thing when I got home 2 days later. They told me to go to the bank immediately.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I agree in part, although fragmented. It will depend on your version of Windows also.

there's no seek time required between fragments (or at least its the same to any point in the drive), so fragmentation on SSD is irrelevant to speed.

D

Deleted member 2719

Maybe it was the R2D2 checking that you had paid your direct debit since March?

:clap2: The club lost my documents and admitted it, but taking a sneaky peak at my account would be a tad naughty, so i would like to stand firm and strong and say it wasn't them!!

Was it YOU.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I may have to digest this later as just going out.

i have once opened an attachment by accident as my brain was not in gear. If this was done should how do rid the Yank looking at my Bank?

I am not sure you can stop him looking at your bank.
However, as you changed your password for your online account, he won't be able to see your account. (Once you get rid of any possible malware.) With HSBC we get a security key which generates a random number which has to be entered to access once we have entered user name and password.This seems to work by generating numbers which the online account recognises from a master list they hold ) Bloody hackers

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I am not sure you can stop him looking at your bank.
However, as you changed your password for your online account, he won't be able to see your account. (Once you get rid of any possible malware.) With HSBC we get a security key which generates a random number which has to be entered to access once we have entered user name and password.This seems to work by generating numbers which the online account recognises from a master list they hold ) Bloody hackers

Barclays & Nationwide issue a PINsentry (looks like a small plastic calculator) into which, you enter your card, use your pin number and it generates a random 8 digit number which is valid for 25 minutes only.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Untitled.png

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here