Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thalidomide

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On BBC1 now.

Extraordinary how people adapt to disability. Rolling a ciggy with your feet, anyone?

The reason I am posting is to note how things have changed when drugs are developed, for anyone interested (off topic, but what isn't, on here?). Back in the 50s there were no real regulations over safety in the UK. The US had rules originating from contamination of tuna by mercury, which resulted in deaths. That caused the formation of the FDA (F = food and D = drugs). They never had thalidomide becuase their rules said 'prove the new drug is better than current' rather that 'as good as' (the UK rule at the time). Plus they were slow to approve anything foreign (oops - accidentally tickled the G spot of one or two usual suspects with that, I bet :ffsparr:)

In the UK and the rest of the world, things got serious when terfenadine, an over the counter antihistamine, was found (after millions of prescriptions) to cause an increadibly rare (50 possible cases) of cardiac arrhythmia in the 1990s.

The newly formed Safety Pharmacology Society, and the regulatory authorites changed everything, and now all drugs are put through masses of safety tests on animals before FIH (first in human) studies. The result is that drugs now rarely fail due to safety, and instead fail mostly due to lack of effectiveness.,

Anyway, despite percerptions, we are living in a better world. No guarantees, but better is better than worse.

Cheers.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My mum got terrible morning sickness and was prescribed Thalidomide. Thankfully it was so bad that she couldn't even keep the pills down, and threw them up. I fell very grateful, and am constantly impressed by the determination and courage of those less fortunate than I was.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The testing of drugs through the three phases takes at the very least 5 years (more typically 8-10) and accounts for approximately 70% of the total R&D costs. Such are the costs of having a (relatively) safe drug introduction regime. Much of the system in developed countries was introduced as a direct result of the Thalidomide tragedy.

Thalidomide was rejected by the US FDA on the grounds of inadequate safety data, at the time there was no legal requirement in the US for an applicant to show clinical efficacy; this was introduced in 1962 after the drug had been withdrawn worldwide.
However, it is currently approved in the US but not for the treatment of morning sickness; it is contra-indicated for use in pregnant women.

leo.eyles

May 7, 2015
My mum got terrible morning sickness and was prescribed Thalidomide. Thankfully it was so bad that she couldn't even keep the pills down, and threw them up. I fell very grateful, and am constantly impressed by the determination and courage of those less fortunate than I was.
That is a scary story.

I am of that same age. I played footie at Uni with a fullback with half an arm - who still took throw-ins: top guy.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
That is a scary story.

I am of that same age. I played footie at Uni with a fullback with half an arm - who still took throw-ins: top guy.

Yep. A mate of mine's mum was prescribed it when pregnant with him but she was a nurse & had heard whispers on the grapevine

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My mum took the drug as well or was at least prescribed it. Must have been around 1960 then. I do remember how the company who produced the drug held out for years before paying anything out. They were part of the Distillers group weren't they ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Shockingly, thalidomide appears to still be prescribed in Brazil under certain circumstances...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23418102

Went to secondary school with a mate called Paul, whose mum had taken thalidomide for morning sickness in the sixties. He had one 'normal' arm. His other arm had his hand fully formed just above the elbow. Never stopped him in the least, he just adapted to activities that were a good match for somebody with one long arm and one short arm. He played for the school hockey team, and was possibly the world's only punk mandolin player, when he joined our band under a pseudonym in the Medway Towns in the second half of the seventies. Rakish Paddy = Legend! :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here