Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

should I bother reporting someone from kicking in the back wheel of my bike?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Some delightful scumbag made a half arsed attempt to steal my bike last night from Sackville Rd last night and in their frustration reverberated to just kicking the Crap out of the back wheel. Do I bother to report this or will I just get even angrier by the dismissive treatment from the police?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Unless you have the culprit's name, address, NI number and a film of him actually doing the deed, it's unlikely that OB will that interested. Come to think of it, they may not be that interested even if you do. Suck it up, for the good of your blood pressure, is my advice.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Some delightful scumbag made a half arsed attempt to steal my bike last night from Sackville Rd last night and in their frustration reverberated to just kicking the Crap out of the back wheel. Do I bother to report this or will I just get even angrier by the dismissive treatment from the police?

The latter I suspect! :censored:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Unless you need a crime number, for insurance purposes, I'd forget about it and get on with your life.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm inclined to agree with the earlier replies.

Just try to console yourself with the thought that this tragic inadequate piece of filth probably has a cock the size of a budgies tongue, and is right now shaking like a shitting dog as he comes down from his latest hit of smack, curled up in the corner of a squalid decrepid flat, covered from head to foot in his own faeces.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's a bit shitty, but there's not much anyone can do.

There's no point being pissed off with the police, it's not like they have the resource to take finger prints and canvass for witnesses for the sake of a bike wheel.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

Just try to console yourself with the thought that this tragic inadequate piece of filth probably has a cock the size of a budgies tongue, and is right now shaking like a shitting dog as he comes down from his latest hit of smack, curled up in the corner of a squalid decrepid flat, covered from head to foot in his own faeces.

Since when did I kick-in his bike?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:lol: Should you report it to the police? That's a good one! :lol:
I'd learn to let it go and don't frustrate yourself any further if I was you. Not that you don't have a good reason to be angry, but it just won't solve anything.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
We had all 4 tyres on our car slashed last year. We called the fuzz and they 'assigned' someone to look after our case. They did at least check CCTV, and had an idea who it might be, but we were out of CCTV range. So they did make some efforts for us.

I'd say report it, there might be other incidents in the area similar to yours, which may be linkeable.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I suppose it depends on what you expect the police to do about it. They'll record it. But realistically, the chances of successfully identifying and prosecuting somebody sound pretty slim, unless you know who did it.

You'll get a crime number, which I guess you might want for insurance purposes if you're intending to claim. Personally- and yes, I'm obviously biased- I don't think it's fair to label the police "dismissive" simply for telling you they're unlikely to be able to identify the person responsible. If there's anybody to be angry towards, it's the tool who caved your back wheel in.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I suppose it depends on what you expect the police to do about it. They'll record it. But realistically, the chances of successfully identifying and prosecuting somebody sound pretty slim, unless you know who did it.

I reported my bike being nicked and the coppers DID nab the bloke who did it. He was caught on CCTV and nicked a couple of days later, in the act of whizzing another bike. My bike wasn't insured but I did get a small amount of compo.

So, it may be worth your while reporting it

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I reported my bike being nicked and the coppers DID nab the bloke who did it. He was caught on CCTV and nicked a couple of days later, in the act of whizzing another bike. My bike wasn't insured but I did get a small amount of compo.

So, it may be worth your while reporting it

Indeed. I was only going on the limited circumstances as reported by the O/P. There may well be evidence.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can't believe nobodies taken the chance to post this yet...

Ps - sorry to hear about your bike - some right scum out there. My mrs caught some ****er trying to nick our child's water play (plastic crap worth about £30 brand new) the other day. I chased down the road & caught him at traffic lights - he was very foreign but suggested he thought it was 'free'. I gave him a few choice words which I hope he managed to translate - nicking from kids is the lowest of all thieves IMO...

http://youtu.be/9BrWuJWE104[video=youtube_share;9BrWuJWE104]

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Indeed. I was only going on the limited circumstances as reported by the O/P. There may well be evidence.

I should also say that the police took me very seriously; kept me fully informed, encouraged me to apply for compo and even sent a press report when the toe-rag got sentenced

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I should also say that the police took me very seriously; kept me fully informed, encouraged me to apply for compo and even sent a press report when the toe-rag got sentenced

Glad to hear it :thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In my experience (admittedly a few years ago) the police were very active (sort of) when I had my bike stolen. I reported it to the police - they took all the details, etc, etc, but didn't expect to find it, blah, blah, blah. I claimed on the insurance, and they coughed up the appropriate few quid (it wasn't a very new bike!)

A couple of weeks later, I recovered the bike (turns out it had only been 'borrowed', then dumped, in a bike shed where someone spotted it and tipped me off. I informed the police, and wrote to the insurance company to tell them and request instructions. A couple of days later I got a letter from the insurance company, dated the same day as the one I sent them, which must have crossed in the post with mine.

It said, "The police have informed us that they have recovered your bicycle (!) and returned it to you. Please send us a cheque (to the value of the amount we paid you)." Never let it be said that the police don't pull out all the stops in resolving bike theft issues!

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012

I don't think hove born & bred would steal a bike in all honesty

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here