Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Seagulls Special Revival

el punal

I'm just thinking ahead here, and with fingers and legs firmly crossed, about the Middlesbrough away fixture at the end of the season. IF our great start continues and both us and Boro are in the mix at the end, this will be a must-see game for many an Albion fan. The problem is of course the ridiculous kick-off time, and being the final match, will not be changed making the travelling aspect difficult to say the least.

As a solution, is it possible for the club (and/or supporters) to charter a train for the occasion similar to the format of the Seagulls Special of the 1970s/80s? Fully subscribed the train would be able to take 800+ fans.
The other advantage being that it will be a Saturday and that it will not impact on commuter services.

For me it seems a logical alternative to a travelling nightmare. Any thoughts?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It can't happen like it once did. Scheduling on the rail network is different now. A good idea though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It can't happen like it once did. Scheduling on the rail network is different now. A good idea though.

There have been a couple of occasions now that I've heard a tannoy announcement at Falmer giving the details for a special train for the away supporters (one was for Millwall, can't remember the other). If other teams can do this, why can't we?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There have been a couple of occasions now that I've heard a tannoy announcement at Falmer giving the details for a special train for the away supporters (one was for Millwall, can't remember the other). If other teams can do this, why can't we?

Normally for fans that cause trouble.

To charter trains is very expensive, I think the last one we did was the play-off final

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
The problem would be finding the appropriate stock. Third rail traction to Millwall is simple. Many practical difficulties going to a remote outpost such as Middlesborough.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I can only remember that for teams like Crystal Palace and Millwall. I guess the arrangements there are easier, and suit the service provider. I'm not sure that the days of the 'special' could return- especially with the organisation of rail franchises as they are now. I would delight in being wrong though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Normally for fans that cause trouble.

To charter trains is very expensive, I think the last one we did was the play-off final

I went on that to Cardiff. We had stewards patrolling the corridors as it was supposed to be dry. Strangely enough, they were not patrolling on the way back when the train became awash with celebratory drinks.
The only downside to that journey was being held up in Bristol on the way home, and pelted with bottles and tins. I swear the signalman did it deliberately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here