Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parliamentary Labour Party imploding

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Interesting account of tonight's meeting of the PLP on the BBC website, following the Labour leadership's u-turn on the fiscal charter. Corbyn is finished, regardless of his mandate.

It was a long and difficult meeting of the Parliamentary Labour Party.
One MP said it was the worst they had ever been to. Jeremy Corbyn was apparently "read the riot act" and said nothing. Another described it as "shambolic", lacking "any aspect of democratic politics".
A former shadow cabinet member told me it was "without doubt one of the most heated" PLPs and that "passions were running high". Others were clearly outraged at the shadow chancellor's change of plan.
As he left the meeting, former cabinet minister Ben Bradshaw branded it a "total shambles".
John Mann MP was furious, he shouted so loudly at the party's leadership he was easily audible in the corridor outside.
Despite that anger, a spokesman for Mr Corbyn said the meeting had been "warm and friendly" claiming the only disagreement had been on the need for there to be more discussion on the issue.
It all shows the seriousness of the cracks within the party and many in Labour will worry about how much worse it could all get.

larus

Interesting account of tonight's meeting of the PLP on the BBC website, following the Labour leadership's u-turn on the fiscal charter. Corbyn is finished, regardless of his mandate.

It was a long and difficult meeting of the Parliamentary Labour Party.
One MP said it was the worst they had ever been to. Jeremy Corbyn was apparently "read the riot act" and said nothing. Another described it as "shambolic", lacking "any aspect of democratic politics".
A former shadow cabinet member told me it was "without doubt one of the most heated" PLPs and that "passions were running high". Others were clearly outraged at the shadow chancellor's change of plan.
As he left the meeting, former cabinet minister Ben Bradshaw branded it a "total shambles".
John Mann MP was furious, he shouted so loudly at the party's leadership he was easily audible in the corridor outside.
Despite that anger, a spokesman for Mr Corbyn said the meeting had been "warm and friendly" claiming the only disagreement had been on the need for there to be more discussion on the issue.
It all shows the seriousness of the cracks within the party and many in Labour will worry about how much worse it could all get.
Now, now. We all know this sounds like Daily Mail rubbish. What will Enrest be saying now....?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Looking forward to the spin from the Corbynites :lolol:

"Robust open debate'

"A new chapter of open discussion"

"Corbyn open to hearing views from all quarters"

"Is this the best the right have got - shows how desperate they are."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as said in other thread, the interesting thing is the denial of a clear problem. the party is not in unity and other reporters say Labour MPs are themselves saying the leadership is incompetent.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Corbyn to be gone by the New Year, I reckon - either by resigning or a vote of No Confidence by the PLP. At every turn thus far he's proved himself to be utterly unsuited to leadership.

To be fair, he didn't want the job in the first place and can't be enjoying this anymore than fellow Labour MPs.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Of course it's incompetent .... the key characters have never led anything, they probably weren't even toilet prefects at school, let alone run a large political party going to hell in a handcart!!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The Labour Party is in complete meltdown. A complete shambles.

There needs to be a strong opposition to any Government, and they are failing badly.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Oh shut up Wolfie, power to the people

But I don' t pin my flag to any of them comrade.

You must be loving the 80s coming back ? All we need is Duran Duran at number 1.

What a bunch of throwbacks the lot of them.

I have my politics but don't view them like football teams. Currently I'm off to watch the tennis...

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I thought Jeremy Corbyn is doing the right thing here. Everyone needs to be open in the policy making, regardless if they like it or not. Quite frankly what happens behind those doors should not printed.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There were several economists who thought the commitment to stick to budget surpluses was a bad idea, as there was no way to predict what would happen in the future.Those MPs need to be careful: the power is in the hands of the members. I don't think there'll be mass blood-letting but there may be a few backbench MPs sacrificed pour encourager les autres

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What's wrong with robust open debate? We need a new chapter of open discussion and a leader open to hearing views from all quarters.

If this is the best the right have got - shows how desperate they are.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There were several economists who thought the commitment to stick to budget surpluses was a bad idea, as there was no way to predict what would happen in the future.Those MPs need to be careful: the power is in the hands of the members. I don't think there'll be mass blood-letting but there may be a few backbench MPs sacrificed pour encourager les autres
Kick out too many and there is a real risk of a rival labour party being set up.

It seems a large majority of labour MPs are now rebels ? ???

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Labour Party is in complete meltdown. A complete shambles.

There needs to be a strong opposition to any Government, and they are failing badly.

This - really not good for anyone to have a weak opposition regardless of your leanings. By the time Labour has finished eating itself the Tories will be out of sight for years at this rate.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What's wrong with robust open debate? We need a new chapter of open discussion and a leader open to hearing views from all quarters.

If this is the best the right have got - shows how desperate they are.

Pffff!:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here