Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do evening games traditionally start at 7.45pm?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If it was 7.30 would you be asking why not 7.15 or 7.45 ?? Usual answer probably - TV ? Gets everything done and dusted, including a bit of analysis, neatly before 10 to fit the schedules.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Usual answer probably - TV ? Gets everything done and dusted, including a bit of analysis, neatly before 10 to fit the schedules.

10pm has been a recent thing for BBC, used to be 9pm remember. iirc many european league games do start at 8pm. one of our wierd traditions thats going to have a really sensible if decades out of date reason for.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
This may be bollocks but I always understood the standard evening kick-off was 7.30pm.

The Albion had 7.45pm even when most others were 7.30pm as we had a large number of London commuters.

8.00pm is a television abomination.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
We used to kick off at 8pm at Withdean didn't we.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When I first started going to the Goldstone, it was 7.30. I don't think it changed until the late 70s and. as DKM pointed out,. the Albion was one of the first clubs to change

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Used to be 7.30, I guess people started working longer hours (by an average of 15mins)?

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Palace is usually 7:45. 7:30 is too early for hard working City types, and 8:00 makes it too difficult to get home afterwards. Or so the explanation usually goes.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Before floodlights at the Goldstone ( 1961...I think ) kick-offs were a lot earlier. I believe the famous ( or should I say infamous ) Watford game in 1958 was something like 6.00pm or even earlier. Once most clubs had lights, the majority of games then kicked off at 7.30. There were a few clubs that started at 7.15 and if I remember right, these may have been the traditional ' Friday nighters ' such as Tranmere, who always played early to avoid their more illustrious neighbours on a Saturday. They used to bring the kick-off forward as well and I am struggling to think why. It could have been to do with the Mersey Tunnel or simply to allow people to still have a decent night out on a Friday.
The move to 7.45, before tv had a big say in affairs, begs the question as to whether it was instigated by a manager keen to have an advantage over the rest. i.e knowing how other teams had finished, when you still had 15 mins left. Far fetched? Nothing surprises in football.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Anyone know when Brighton did change to 7.45? And when did half-time become 15 minutes? Those two changes mean that games finish at about 9.40/9.45 these days.

I used to leave the Goldstone, catch the special bus, and be home in Moulsecoomb well before 10.00 - a different world

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Although I have never experienced 10 minutes of half-time, I'd prefer that. I never go for a drink or anything, so 15 minutes gets dull.

Wise man, avoiding the stress of trying to get food and/or drink at half time. Inching ever so slowly forward, not moving for what seems like interminable minutes, then finally, when the teams are coming back out, finding out that the bloke in front of you is getting a shipping order. His kids/wife all changing their minds at the last moment and then, when he seems to have finally finished, one of the kids tugs his arm and says..." Oh Dad, can I have a Twix and a bag of Crisps "....FFS.
....and that's with 15 minutes!!!
When it was a ten minute break, there was clearly less food and drink purchased, so the move to 15 minutes has helped clubs sell more. It also seems to encourage fans to linger on the concourses longer, drifting back to the match, anything up to 5 mins after the restart.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here