Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How old is too old to drive?

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Following the sad story of the M1 crash where an 87 year old man was driving the wrong way and crashed into a van, killing himselfr and the 27 year old van passanger, and putting the van driver in hospital, personally I really find it unbelievable that someone of 87 is allowed to drive.

I know people are retested at 70 but IMO I dont think anyone over 80 should be allowed to drive.

Story here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-34503112

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think that there are plenty of 80 year-olds well capable of driving.

I would have thought mandatory testing every 2 years to age 80 and annually thereafter would make sense.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
You can't put an age cut-off on it - it's different from one person to the next. But I do think everyone, of all ages, should be re-tested and have to renew their licence on a regular basis.

My mother-in-law is 90, has all her marbles, and is probably a better driver than you. On the other hand, there are tens of thousands of drivers out there in their teens and 20s (and at all other stages of life) who are a danger to themselves and to others. Many of them should not have a licence.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Not really much to do with age.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
You can't put an age cut-off on it - it's different from one person to the next. But I do think everyone, of all ages, should be re-tested and have to renew their licence on a regular basis.

My mother-in-law is 90, has all her marbles, and is probably a better driver than you. On the other hand, there are tens of thousands of drivers out there in their teens and 20s (and at all other stages of life) who are a danger to themselves and to others. Many of them should not have a licence.

You absolutely can put an age limit on it. There is a minimum age to drive so there could be a maximum.

There will always be some older drivers that are fine to drive, as there would be for those under 17. But in the majority older drivers have lower reaction speeds and poorer decision making.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I know people are retested at 70 but IMO I dont think anyone over 80 should be allowed to drive.

I think your find that over 70's aren't retested as such. We just have to get our doctor to certify that we are still fit to drive every 3 years.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Age cut off and maybe a curfew. Many of these 'wrong way' incidents occur at night with in difficult conditions which aid confusion. These ludicrous pensioners just should not be allowed on the road at 2am

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I think every single driver from 17 up, should be fully re-tested (theory and practical) every 5 years.
But that's living in a perfect world, no one would finance this.

So a more realistic scenario. Every driver from 60 years up should fully re-test (theory and practical) every 2 years.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You absolutely can put an age limit on it. There is a minimum age to drive so there could be a maximum.

There will always be some older drivers that are fine to drive, as there would be for those under 17.
It doesn't have a big impact of a child's life that they can't drive. They wouldn't normally have a car anyway, they get ferried around by their parents, and they don't have long to wait until they can drive.

An older driver however, has decades of driving experience, and it could have a big impact on their life if they lose their car. Of course we don't want unsafe drivers, but if they're tested regularly, that should help remove that problem.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Everyone should have to take their test again every 5 years, it is ridiculous that I passed my test 31 years ago and I have not been tested again. Also, if are banned and you lose you licence you should have to take your test again.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
My girlfriends grandad is still driving at 92!

He's fine 90% of the time. But 10% of the time he's terrifying. "I don't drive that often" is his excuse.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It doesn't have a big impact of a child's life that they can't drive. They wouldn't normally have a car anyway, they get ferried around by their parents, and they don't have long to wait until they can drive.

An older driver however, has decades of driving experience, and it could have a big impact on their life if they lose their car. Of course we don't want unsafe drivers, but if they're tested regularly, that should help remove that problem.

If [MENTION=17571]StonehamPark[/MENTION] got his way Martin Perry will be due for a re-test in the next couple of years.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Bear in mind, this is wholly based on my Mother's driving (in)ability.

There are full time working drivers aged over 60 considering they don't retire until 67 nowadays.

You don't suddenly lose your marbles or reactions when you reach your 60th birthday.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think every single driver from 17 up, should be fully re-tested (theory and practical) every 5 years.
But that's living in a perfect world, no one would finance this.

So a more realistic scenario. Every driver from 60 years up should fully re-test (theory and practical) every 2 years.

err wait till you are 60 and see if you still agree with that ridiculous statement.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here