Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Corbyn's Republicanism, The Privy Council and national security

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see the media are running the story that the Queen's officers have stripped Corbyn of the title "Right Honourable" as he has not yet taken the oath and been sworn in to the Privy Council.

I'm mindful that Cameron took 3 months to get sworn in, but on the other hand Cameron wasn't a committed republican, he hadn't shown IRA sympathies and hadn't chosen to be silent whilst being filmed during the playing of the National Anthem.

It looks to me as though Corbyn is letting this "allegiance to the Crown" issue drift and as each day passes without him swearing the oath it seems to me he becomes that much less electable. I'm interested to know what Labour supporters with monarchist sympathies think about his actions, or lack thereof.

Crucially, the leader of the Opposition's membership of the Privy Council entitles them to receive briefings on matters of National Security. Do we really want our Opposition leader to be outside this important inner circle? Could he conceivably carry out his duties as Prime Minister without being a member of the Privy Council?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
It does beg the questions, why does the queen or her officers get to exert such influence? IF we're a functionaing democracy why should someone unelected get those powers. For those who say her role is only ceremonial take note.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It does beg the questions, why does the queen or her officers get to exert such influence? IF we're a functionaing democracy why should someone unelected get those powers. For those who say her role is only ceremonial take note.

Exactly. For a modern functioning democracy, this is a ludicrous state of affairs.

I do wonder how long this idea of a constitutional monarchy can survive - it was workable when the Queen was seen a ceremonial figurehead but now we can see that she has a direct influence on politics, we may well see some profound political shifts.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm interested to know what Labour supporters with monarchist sympathies think about his actions, or lack thereof.

*raises hand*. That's me.

Thanks for asking: I couldn't give a sh1t. And nor should you.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm with the two posts. Why, in order to receive national security briefings, is it/should it be a requirement to kneel before the monarch, and swear allegiance to the crown? Put like that, it's just plain silly. Which is what it is.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

What influence? All they have done is not given him a title - if he swears the oath at a meeting, he will get the title back. The Privy Council IS ceremonial - all the Queen ever says at one is "approved" to validate each order that the government makes.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sadly, he will not even get to contest the next general election, so no, it doesn't really matter.

But it makes for a damn good panto with a Mr Punch character thrown in for good measure, marvellous stuff!

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
. I'm interested to know what Labour supporters with monarchist sympathies think about his actions, or lack thereof.

I'd put it between the next cast of I'm a Celebrity and the history of Peruvian basket weaving.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
All these threads on Corbyn are getting a bit boring , think the OP should give it a rest zzzzzzzzzz

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Ah but this is an interesting one. It highlights just how absurd the idea of a constitutional monarchy is.

Not nearly as absurd as having Corbyn in charge of our armed forces, I cannot believe how far up their own arses some people's heads are on the subject.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not nearly as absurd as having Corbyn in charge of our armed forces, I cannot believe how far up their own arses some people's heads are on the subject.

But he's not in charge of our armed forces and never will be unless he is elected to be so. I don't see what is so absurd about that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have the press reported it accurately, or are they trying to stir up trouble, as usual?

The Daily Telegraph claimed on Monday that the “Right Honourable” title, which Prime Minister David Cameron used to address Corbyn when they first faced off in parliament, had been removed by the order of the Privy Council.

It is not entirely clear, however, that Corbyn ever held the title at all.

Confusion at Downing Street muddied the waters further when it was announced by No 10 that “the Queen has been pleased to approve the appointment of Jeremy Corbyn MP as a member of the Privy Council.”

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here