Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

International Update - TERRIBLE weekend for the Albion players involved.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
I disagree.
Surely as far as Albion's interests go, success and failure should boil down to coming through their International obligations injury free and an available option for the club's next match.
I'm unaware of any injuries having been inflicted on any of our players this last week so surely this should be seen as an unqualified success, certainly not one of failure.
Who gives a damn about the countries their representing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Surely the fewer international games they play the less tired the get and the more focused they are to Albion's cause?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I disagree.
Surely as far as Albion's interests go, success and failure should boil down to coming through their International obligations injury free and an available option for the club's next match.
I'm unaware of any injuries having been inflicted on any of our players this last week so surely this should be seen as an unqualified success, certainly not one of failure.

Surely the fewer international games they play the less tired the get and the more focused they are to Albion's cause?

You chaps must really miss the days of Gillingham and Withdean, when all we had to worry about was whether George Santos would called called up by Cape Verde. If only we were still shit, eh?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I disagree.

Argus saying that Kayal played despite feeling unwell. He's hard he is.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Argus saying that Kayal played despite feeling unwell. He's hard he is.

He'd been ill for a couple of days prior to the game, but had recovered by Saturday to play. They now have a massive game in Belgium tomorrow night. Despite my flippant answer to the others above, I would not be too disappointed if Beram sat that one out.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You chaps must really miss the days of Gillingham and Withdean, when all we had to worry about was whether George Santos would called called up by Cape Verde. If only we were still shit, eh?

I think you're missing the point. We're top of the table and in the hunt for promotion. What possible upside is there for our players playing international football, tiring themselves out, risking injury and being asked to play in a different system by different managers?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I think you're missing the point. We're top of the table and in the hunt for promotion. What possible upside is there for our players playing international football, tiring themselves out, risking injury and being asked to play in a different system by different managers?

Well, whilst I agree entirely that every International game they play is a risk to the Albion's fortunes, its an inevitable, unavoidable risk of playing at a decent level.

As to 'possible upsides';

The opportunity for an out of form player to hit form.
The opportunity for players out of our side to get game time - eg. Maenpaa.
The opportunity for players to experience different systems / opponents.
The increase in VALUE of our players, from gaining International status.
The (unquantifiable) benefit to the club of recognition / 'brand awareness'.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Eng U21s haven't played yet...

Yes.

Tomorrow night, the last of our players get their turn, as England's U21s take on Kazakhstan, in Coventry.

Jake Forster-Caskey (11), Solly March (1) and Christian Walton
Once again, the trio of Albion youngsters are named in Gareth Southgate's U21 squad, for a home qualifier. Forster-Caskey is a Southgate favourite and can expect to play. March was very impressive of full U21 debut last month, and after his star showing for the Albion last week should be full of confidence. Walton was unlucky last month - having to withdraw injured from his first call-up at this level - so will be delighted to be given another chance so soon.

Tue 13.10.15 England U21 v Kazakhstan U21

Also, Rep of Ireland U21 still to play again (away to Italy).

I've just updated it to include Tom Cadman's second game (this afternoon) for Ireland U19. He played the second half, in a 2-1 defeat.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I thought it was an honour to play for your country?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I thought it was an honour to play for your country?

It is.
[MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] was asking what's in it for the Albion, rather than what's in it for the players themselves.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Oops, sorry about that then, although, I'm still proud to see an Albion player turn out for his country and unless they are unlucky and get injured it should be a positive experience.

It is.
[MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] was asking what's in it for the Albion, rather than what's in it for the players themselves.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Oops, sorry about that then, although, I'm still proud to see an Albion player turn out for his country and unless they are unlucky and get injured it should be a positive experience.

Spot on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well, whilst I agree entirely that every International game they play is a risk to the Albion's fortunes, its an inevitable, unavoidable risk of playing at a decent level.

As to 'possible upsides';

The opportunity for an out of form player to hit form.
The opportunity for players out of our side to get game time - eg. Maenpaa.
The opportunity for players to experience different systems / opponents.
The increase in VALUE of our players, from gaining International status.
The (unquantifiable) benefit to the club of recognition / 'brand awareness'.

Just look at the facts:

Hemed didn't score and Israel lost.
Maenpaa has had to travel but didn't get on the field.
Greer travelled and got to defend against the might of Gibraltar. Waste of time.
All three experienced a dejected camp now eliminated from Euro 16.

In this era what increases your transfer value is not how well you defend against Gibraltar or how many goals you score against Cyprus, but how you perform week, in week out in the Prem and Championship. Was Bridcutt or CMS's value enhanced by them picking up a few caps for Scotland? Not in the slightest.

And as for brand awareness, this only applies when you're in the Prem. You can count the number of Albion shirts being sold in Tel Aviv on the fingers of one hand.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Just look at the facts:

Hemed didn't score and Israel lost.
Maenpaa has had to travel but didn't get on the field.
Greer travelled and got to defend against the might of Gibraltar. Waste of time.
All three experienced a dejected camp now eliminated from Euro 16.

In this era what increases your transfer value is not how well you defend against Gibraltar or how many goals you score against Cyprus, but how you perform week, in week out in the Prem and Championship. Was Bridcutt or CMS's value enhanced by them picking up a few caps for Scotland? Not in the slightest.

And as for brand awareness, this only applies when you're in the Prem. You can count the number of Albion shirts being sold in Tel Aviv on the fingers of one hand.

Taking one poor weekend as your sample, is disingenous.

You don't think Greer gained in confidence from coping with Lewandowski in Warsaw? Or that Forster-Caskey's value is boosted by his U21 caps? Or that Hemed's record of 10 in 16 Internationals is reflected in his?

Anyway - its a pointless argument. If we want to compete at this level we will always need players that are good enough to be called up from time to time. Its an inevitability.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I hardly think playing for Israel or Scotland is exactly a feather in the cap for our club. Perhaps if we had players representing the top 10 FIFA ranked national teams then maybe....

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I hardly think playing for Israel or Scotland is exactly a feather in the cap for our club. Perhaps if we had players representing the top 10 FIFA ranked national teams then maybe....

Like Andrew Crofts?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here