Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam El Abd joins Swindon

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My accounts person at work will be very pleased as a season ticket holder there, mind you he rates Obika........

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Ex-Brighton players that have played for/joined Swindon in the last three seasons:

Alan Navarro
Raphael Branco
Yaser Kasim
George Barker
John Obika
Ryan Harley
Anton Rodgers
Bradley Barry
Grant Hall
Jeremy Balmy (Technically, as we had him on trial twice)
Adam El-Abd

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He is a genuinely nice fella, who is good friends with my nephew. I had a chat with him a few years back at a BBQ at my sisters. This would have been in the Withdean years, when the Gus revolution was just starting. I was amazed when he said "so what do you think my best position is then ?". I refrained from saying the obvious answer, which was "well lets face it Adam, you are a carcrash waiting to happen at fullback". I may not have woken up till Tuesday. Instead I said "well, I think you're a centreback all day long" (which is exactly where Gus had been playing him). It was really surprising to hear that question though.

I guess he'd been messed around positionally most of his career under numerous managers, maybe he'd lost sight of what he was best at. Gus soon sorted that out though.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I bet Swindon consider it a sideways move.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Cos that dumbo Cotterell wanted him to playon the right of a back three not in the centre, his most effective position.

I will never understand playing people out of their natural position.
Cotterell must have known Adam's best position to be played in when he bought him, surely.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He is a genuinely nice fella, who is good friends with my nephew. I had a chat with him a few years back at a BBQ at my sisters. This would have been in the Withdean years, when the Gus revolution was just starting. I was amazed when he said "so what do you think my best position is then ?". I refrained from saying the obvious answer, which was "well lets face it Adam, you are a carcrash waiting to happen at fullback". I may not have woken up till Tuesday. Instead I said "well, I think you're a centreback all day long" (which is exactly where Gus had been playing him). It was really surprising to hear that question though.

I guess he'd been messed around positionally most of his career under numerous managers, maybe he'd lost sight of what he was best at. Gus soon sorted that out though.

I'd say one of Gus's finest accomplishments was to turn El Abd into the best version of El Abd that we could have hoped for. Under Poyet, gone was the "utility defender" and in was the centre-back who no-longer backed off from anybody running at him. Then after two or three absolutely stellar performances, Gus felt compelled to go to the media and announce "Adam is the best defender at the club". And the funny thing is, at the time, he was right. Nobody would have believed it six months previously though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd say one of Gus's finest accomplishments was to turn El Abd into the best version of El Abd that we could have hoped for. Under Poyet, gone was the "utility defender" and in was the centre-back who no-longer backed off from anybody running at him. Then after two or three absolutely stellar performances, Gus felt compelled to go to the media and announce "Adam is the best defender at the club". And the funny thing is, at the time, he was right. Nobody would have believed it six months previously though.

Agreed. Gus actually said that pretty early on in his tenure, to much guffawing and laughing up sleeves at the time.

Soon shut us up though didn't he.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agreed. Gus actually said that pretty early on in his tenure, to much guffawing and laughing up sleeves at the time.

Soon shut us up though didn't he.
He did. He said it during his first season (the last third of 2009/10).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I will never understand playing people out of their natural position.
Cotterell must have known Adam's best position to be played in when he bought him, surely.

Cotterell & Adam fell out. He basically said he would not ever play him again. I bet Adam can't wait to get to the end of his contract.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Best wishes as always to El Hab.

News of another old boy came from a Coventry City supporting friend this week. "Romain Vincelot is a very good player - making a difference".

Nice to hear about. Fond memories of one of my Top 3 all time headed Albion goals (the other two are Gordon Smith at Wembley and Nobby Horton at Newcastle).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here