Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Como or Garda

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
We've never been to the Lakes before and plan to go in December this year. Which is best and any recommendations for a really posh hotel which has other good restaurants nearby to ring the changes

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
As a travel photographer for UK tour operators, my choice would just and only just be COMO. Bellagio, Varenna and Cadenabbia great places, although as others have said, Garda not bad too, Sirmione, Torbole, Riva, again great places. Can't go wrong with the lakes. Difficult choice

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Never been to Como but Garda is absolutely lovely, I'm very tempted to take the CBR there at some point in the future as the roads around the Lake are absolutely brilliant (thanks to a certain Benito Mussolini, ahem).

You are also close to Verona (also lovely) and Venice (which I didn't find so lovely but I guess it is a place you probably need to visit at least once).

I do love Italy, it is almost certainly going to be my retirement destination so Mrs Jakarta & I have at least 1 week a year looking at different parts of the country. For example I was amazed how much I liked Sicily when we went in May, far more lush and green than I expected. Usual top food and wine

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Never been to Como but Garda is absolutely lovely, I'm very tempted to take the CBR there at some point in the future as the roads around the Lake are absolutely brilliant (thanks to a certain Benito Mussolini, ahem).

You are also close to Verona (also lovely) and Venice (which I didn't find so lovely but I guess it is a place you probably need to visit at least once).

I do love Italy, it is almost certainly going to be my retirement destination so Mrs Jakarta & I have at least 1 week a year looking at different parts of the country. For example I was amazed how much I liked Sicily when we went in May, far more lush and green than I expected. Usual top food and wine

Agree with all of that. Love the country. We set up base in Verona last summer to visit the lakes and Venice, fantastic city . Will be going back this summer to Rome, Napoli, Sorrento and Capri.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I love Italy and been to many places from North to South.
For so many reasons it is a great country.
I had this conversation with my brother in law who is Italian from Como.
Italy is a very difficult and frustrating country for a foreigner to move to.
Many reasons but bureaucracy, tax system, politics and truly understanding and trying to fit in to the Italian way of life were some.
He much prefers the UK

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Agree with all of that. Love the country. We set up base in Verona last summer to visit the lakes and Venice, fantastic city . Will be going back this summer to Rome, Napoli, Sorrento and Capri.

Done 3 out of those destinations, Romans are completely Hatstand - a marvellous place to visit and sitesee but don't think I could live there.

Sorrento & Capri are both beautiful, in fact the whole Amalfi Coast is picture postcard.

We were told that Naples is dodgy when we stayed in Sorrento, but I suspect it is no worse than Rome!

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Naples is an interesting place - abject poverty next to overblown wealth. Been there a few times and never had a problem , lovely people although the motorists are nuts . As long as you don't look like an obvious tourist it's fine .

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I love Italy and been to many places from North to South.
For so many reasons it is a great country.
I had this conversation with my brother in law who is Italian from Como.
Italy is a very difficult and frustrating country for a foreigner to move to.
Many reasons but bureaucracy, tax system, politics and truly understanding and trying to fit in to the Italian way of life were some.
He much prefers the UK

My impression over the past few years (as a visitor I must admit) has been that most Italians ignore the bureaucracy, tax system and politics as far as possible and just get on with living their lives!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I have only been to Lake Como so can't comment on Garda but having been all the way round would recommend Bellagio.

Try this

http://www.villaserbelloni.com/Bellagio/en/

This - although it is very expensive. My dad was put up there a few times when he was working over there but the one time I went to help him, we got the B&B. The boat trip down to Como is great and so is the funicular railway at Como - makes Hastings look tiny.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
By the way Lake Como is beautiful.
Rome is a fabulous City do lots of homework before you go to make sure you cram all the best bits in while you are there.
Find a good rooftop restaurant with views over the city to eat your dinner at least one night.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I've only been to Lake Garda but visited many of the towns around the lake. I'd recommend the town of Garda on the east of the lake to look for a hotel. It has some great restaurants and is reasonably flat and like many of the towns has a good ferry service. You can go out each evening strolling along the lakeside footpaths without any vehicles bothering you apart from Germans on bicycles.
You can also get a bus to Verona for the day which only takes an hour.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My impression over the past few years (as a visitor I must admit) has been that most Italians ignore the bureaucracy, tax system and politics as far as possible and just get on with living their lives!

I wanted to live there that's why I had the conversation with him.
Like a lot of holiday places it always looks better as a tourist.
It may be like that if you are Italian and live there but to move there as a foreigner you will have no alternative but to get caught up in the system with property etc and Italians can be very surly and won't speak English.
The alternative is Greece now they really don't give a shit.

What about Lake Maggiore? Stresa is nice, little islands to visit and train journey up and over the mountains to Locarno in Switzerland with boat trip back.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Been to both - Como is the posher and more beautiful of the two, close enough for a day trip to Milan too.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It may be like that if you are Italian and live there but to move there as a foreigner you will have no alternative but to get caught up in the system with property etc and Italians can be very surly and won't speak English.

We may just rent rather than buy and we both intend to learn Italian over the next few years. Around Lake Garda it might be better to learn German of course!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here