Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazon FIRESTICK - dodgy streaming

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bloody good innit ?

Installed Kodi onto my Firestick thingy today, and now I can watch sports and films for nuffin. The movies are amazing, all manner of stuff that's on at the cinema or not yet out on DVD. Admittedly the most recent stuff thats still on at the flicks can be a bit iffy quality-wise, but anything been around a couple of months is in perfect HD. I'll be having a sniff at San Andreas tonight, being as that seems in excellent working order. Terminator Genesis is on there as well, amongst hundreds of others.

The live sports streams are a little more hit-and-miss, I have to dig around a bit to find one that works. But I soon came across some very stable BT ESPN feeds that ran with no issues - that should sort my baseball out. The Bein channels are on there, so theres every chance I'll be able to find some Albion 3pm games like they do on the dodgy streams at the Warwick (usually when we're the featured game on the FLS). If not, I can see PL games at 3pm on this thing. All the Sky channels are on there as well. The missus is as happy as a dog with two dicks as I've found the latest entire series of some gubbins US TV she loves that isn't on anywhere else over here yet (Haven or something).

£35. Whats not to like ?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Bloody good innit ?

Installed Kodi onto my Firestick thingy today, and now I can watch sports and films for nuffin. The movies are amazing, all manner of stuff that's on at the cinema or not yet out on DVD. Admittedly the most recent stuff thats still on at the flicks can be a bit iffy quality-wise, but anything been around a couple of months is in perfect HD. I'll be having a sniff at San Andreas tonight, being as that seems in excellent working order. Terminator Genesis is on there as well, amongst hundreds of others.

The live sports streams are a little more hit-and-miss, I have to dig around a bit to find one that works. But I soon came across some very stable BT ESPN feeds that ran with no issues - that should sort my baseball out. The Bein channels are on there, so theres every chance I'll be able to find some Albion 3pm games like they do on the dodgy streams at the Warwick (usually when we're the featured game on the FLS). If not, I can see PL games at 3pm on this thing. All the Sky channels are on there as well. The missus is as happy as a dog with two dicks as I've found the latest entire series of some gubbins US TV she loves that isn't on anywhere else over here yet (Haven or something).

£35. Whats not to like ?

Yep, great bit of kit. Who wouldn't want one!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep, great bit of kit. Who wouldn't want one!

I'll see how it goes...but my early impressions could see me completely binning off Sky Movies for sure, and quite possibly Sports as well. WHY am I paying for these ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Had never heard of it until this thread, but, yes, it does look good. Quick Q: it talks about Netflix - presumably I'd have to keep my Netflux monthly subscription going in order to access it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Had never heard of it until this thread, but, yes, it does look good. Quick Q: it talks about Netflix - presumably I'd have to keep my Netflux monthly subscription going in order to access it?

Yup, you can access your own Netflix account through it if you keep it on through the "official channels". Although once you install Kodi, you might wonder why you're bothering to keep it.

Everything on Netflix works perfect, obviously. That's not quite the case with this - you sometimes have to "dig around" a bit for a good stream on the live sports, although the movies (as its obviously not a live stream) seem to work extremely well straight away. I think Sky Movies is history now. I'll wait and see on Sky Sports, that would be a major departure for me. But I can already get BT now, which has snorted my Champions League and baseball coverage for starters.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Bloody good innit ?

£35. Whats not to like ?

How do you install, i can't even find it on mine?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How do you install, i can't even find it on mine?

You won't find the Kodi app on the Firestick, its nothing to do with Amazon - there is a bit of a process to go through to get it on there. TBH, its a bit of an arse. I had to follow a tutorial on YouTube.

But once its on there - happy days !

D

Deleted member 22389

Kodi is a Linux distribution by the looks of things, will need to check it out sometime.

D

Deleted member 22389

You won't find the Kodi app on the Firestick, its nothing to do with Amazon - there is a bit of a process to go through to get it on there. TBH, its a bit of an arse. I had to follow a tutorial on YouTube.

Don't know a lot about this, but didn't you write the kodi .iso to your firestick?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't know a lot about this, but didn't you write the kodi .iso to your firestick?

I had to install the Kodi app onto my phone, and link my phone to the Firestick using my ISP address. I was fannying about with it for half the morning before I got it to work, and if I had to do it again I'm not sure I could post a step-by-step. Swearing was involved, lots of swearing. But eventually, it worked.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Thanks,I might have a bash at it when I have more time

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I had to install the Kodi app onto my phone, and link my phone to the Firestick using my ISP address. I was fannying about with it for half the morning before I got it to work, and if I had to do it again I'm not sure I could post a step-by-step. Swearing was involved, lots of swearing. But eventually, it worked.
Maybe your own Youtube channel?

D

Deleted member 22389

I don't know a lot about this firestick, but is it something you plug in to your TV?
I'm guessing the Firestick is really a Linux distribution underneath, so if that's the case couldn't you install kodi .iso file to a regular USB drive and plug that straight in to your TV

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't know a lot about this firestick, but is it something you plug in to your TV?
I'm guessing the Firestick is really a Linux distribution underneath, so if that's the case couldn't you install kodi .iso file to a regular USB drive and plug that straight in to your TV

Yes. Yes it is. Straight into the HDMI slot.

I'm sure there is probably a far simpler way of getting Kodi onto it than the faff I went through. I'm not a complete techy dunce, but this stretched me I must admit.

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes. Yes it is. Straight into the HDMI slot.

I'm sure there is probably a far simpler way of getting Kodi onto it than the faff I went through. I'm not a complete techy dunce, but this stretched me I must admit.

Does seem like a lot of faff. Generally with any Linux distro you just write the .iso to a USB stick which makes it bootable. Plug in to your PC and you have a live Linux distribution running from it, and if you wish you can install to your hard drive, so I wonder if it the same principle with your TV.

akipling

Jan 12, 2010
Morecambe
Which add-on do you use for Bein?

I tend to use Genesis for tv and Phoenix for sports - I've already sacked off sky sports but might see if there's any deals early December ;)

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I did mine via my laptop, yes a lot of messing around. But worth it. I bought a second Firestick when they were £17.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
You can get them with kodi pre installed fully loaded for about £60 on ebay

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here