Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there any butchers in mid Sussex open on a Sunday?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why do butchers all close on Sundays? I find it completely bizarre. It's like a church closing on a Sunday. They must miss out on so much trade. Why not close on a Monday instead? Why close on the day of the week that your product is used most?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Butchers in supermarkets?

Not the same though, is it? The Butchers moan they are losing out to supermarkets, perhaps if they opened on what would surely be their busiest (or second busiest, anyway) day of the week, they might have more of a chance.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Option 1 refrigerate
Option 2 supermarket meat
Option 3 Find a farm shop

Option4 open a butcher's shop on Sunday's and make a killing

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why do butchers all close on Sundays? I find it completely bizarre. It's like a church closing on a Sunday. They must miss out on so much trade. Why not close on a Monday instead? Why close on the day of the week that your product is used most?

Maybe they're at home knocking up a pukka roast?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Assuming the busiest meat day, is down to the traditional Sunday roast and that most folks traditionally eat this Sunday lunchtime. It leaves a window of 1-2 hours in the morning, where they can sell cuts of meat, after that the joint needs to be in the oven. You need a good couple of hours, to thoroughly clean a butchers shop, at the end of a day. How much extra business will this really bring in ?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Assuming the busiest meat day, is down to the traditional Sunday roast and that most folks traditionally eat this Sunday lunchtime. It leaves a window of 1-2 hours in the morning, where they can sell cuts of meat, after that the joint needs to be in the oven. You need a good couple of hours, to thoroughly clean a butchers shop, at the end of a day. How much extra business will this really bring in ?

Surely more than a Monday, when they are open all day? They were all open on Sundays when I lived in London, and seemed to be busy all day.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If I'm going to have a Sunday roast, I don't wait until Sunday morning to dash out and buy it. Back in the day (1950s, 1960s), when nearly every family routinely had a Sunday roast, NO shops were open on Sundays, butchers or otherwise.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If I'm going to have a Sunday roast, I don't wait until Sunday morning to dash out and buy it. Back in the day (1950s, 1960s), when nearly every family routinely had a Sunday roast, NO shops were open on Sundays, butchers or otherwise.

Nor would I, usually. Today I woke up and thought I fancied one, so the supermarket will get my money instead. I can't be the only person in that situation, and I cannot imagine a butcher would make more money on a Monday or a Tuesday than they would on a Sunday.

In the 1950s yes, but this is my point, it's not the 1950s anymore. Perhaps it is in Sussex.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nor would I, usually. Today I woke up and thought I fancied one, so the supermarket will get my money instead. I can't be the only person in that situation, and I cannot imagine a butcher would make more money on a Monday or a Tuesday than they would on a Sunday.

In the 1950s yes, but this is my point, it's not the 1950s anymore. Perhaps it is in Sussex.

Butchers and fish mongers used to only open half day Mondays in the 50s & 60s pre fridges and freezers but nk the need now.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Option 5: Make a killing, THEN open a butcher's shop on a Sunday

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
To be fair I've long wondered this myself. I'm all for supporting local traders and not giving my hard earned cash to the supermarkets BUT if they're never open at a time convenient to me I'm left with little choice.

There's a cracking butchers down the road from me in Kemptown but the only window within which I can ever use it is Saturday morning before they shut in the afternoon. There's always a queue snaking down the street and if I've had a particularly heavy one the night before meaning I don't get up as early as I might have liked, I've missed my chance.

Presumably they're doing well enough they don't need the Saturday afternoon or Sunday to be open BUT they'd certainly get more business from me if they did

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Out of interest, why aren't you at work today?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Option 5, simply open butchers shop.

The old style butcher, of which you would find several on every good high street, has largely become a thing of the past. Replaced of course with good old supermarket pre-packaged meat, and the farm shop.

The quality of meat on offer at farm shops is normally excellent, and better than many butchers, and wins it for me hands down. Many of them are open on a Sunday morning too. .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In the 1950s yes, but this is my point, it's not the 1950s anymore.
Yes, I had noticed it's not the 1950s any more - and far fewer families routinely have Sunday roasts, so even less demand for Sunday morning butchers than back then (even if the Sunday trading laws been less stringent back then).
Perhaps you should consider a freezer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here