Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Off on my first cruise next month. Anyone else been on one?

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Going from Southampton on Cunard Queen Victoria for three nights to see if I like it.

Anyone got any tips or good/bad cruise experiences?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Wrap up warm and take a pair of binoculars.

J Dawson
No fixed abode.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Went on a couple of three day all expenses paid cruises from Southampton around the early 90s. Unfortunately, it was paid for by a number of large IT suppliers who took a couple of hundred various clients as a corporate jolly. I found the best way through it was to spend as little time sober as possible. This may have effected my view of cruises as i've never wanted to do one since. I would check the occupations of your fellow travellers before you go.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've never been on a cruise but a good friend, Sailor Dave, works for one of the big cruise companies and once took me on a tour of one of their ships. I found it fascinating - like a floating block of flats with a shopping mall attached. It was huge. You could simply spend 3 days exploring the ship.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No never been on a cruise, but then I'm under the age of 80 so why would I?

Have fun.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Take sea sickness pills. If the wind gets up even the large liners sway and the outside decks will be closed.

That's the thing I'm most worried about. When I was 12, my family went on a very bumpy sailing on a Sealink ferry. Was sick all the way to Le Havre. Hope it won't be like that on the way to Zeebrugge. :sick:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Went on P&O Ventura last November, 1st cruise, Barbados out for 2 weeks, back to Barbados.

All the facilities, Service, staff, food, drinks, trips and Islands etc etc were top notch.....just can't get away from crowds, unless you sit on your balcony in your cabin,....so for that reason alone, I am out.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
1. High bar prices as you are a captive audience.
2. You can easily loose a day or two being sea sick when you have paid big money for the privilege
3. Watch out for the tipping. Some cruise ships will try automatically debiting your card.

Other than that all good.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
1. High bar prices as you are a captive audience.
2. You can easily loose a day or two being sea sick when you have paid big money for the privilege
3. Watch out for the tipping. Some cruise ships will try automatically debiting your card.

Other than that all good.

I don't drink so probably won't be affected by that. I think automatic tipping is debited from my card at something like £7 a day so that makes things easier I don't have to keep putting coins into people's hands.

I am a bit worried about having to dodge zimmer frames and mobility scooters though. Surely it's not all pensioners?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've never been on a cruise but a good friend, Sailor Dave, works for one of the big cruise companies and once took me on a tour of one of their ships. I found it fascinating - like a floating block of flats with a shopping mall attached. It was huge. You could simply spend 3 days exploring the ship.

Many years ago I 'won' a tour of a cruise ship at Dover and a free lunch. The tour was interesting and the lunch was decent enough but rather than having the affect I'm sure the Marketing people hoped for, it made me realise I would never actually want to be couped up on a boat for any amount of time at all. I now have zero desire to go on a cruise ..... hell on water as far as I can see.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I was going to say there doesn't seem to be much to do except sit around getting pissed. Which might be good for a couple of days but bit dull after that. But you don't drink so could be quite dull.
My advice would be instead to take a boat ride off Brighton Marina then to and get fractured somewhere in town. If you want to experience the full cruise effect, do this in Eastbourne.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here