Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question about free-kicks and corners

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I played football for 25 years and have watched it for much longer and there is one thing I've never quite understood.

When a player is about to take a corner - he/she will sometimes raise a single arm as some form of signal?

What the hell does this mean? Please put me out of my misery.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I played football for 25 years and have watched it for much longer and there is one thing I've never quite understood.

When a player is about to take a corner - he/she will sometimes raise a single arm as some form of signal?

What the hell does this mean?
Please put me out of my misery.

Think you might have answered your own question there...

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
semi-short-corner.jpg

I would guess

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Course if you're Paulo DiCanio, you don't necessarily need a set piece to raise an arm.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In the case of the Albion:-

If the taker raises his left arm it means he's going to kick the ball at the first defender.

If he raises his right arm he's going to kick the ball over everyone and out for a throw-in (or goal kick if he's really good).

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
It means, 'all the pros seem to do this, although I haven't a clue what it means it just makes me look if I know what I'm doing'....... usually ended up with me smashing the ball into the side netting getting an ear full from the centre back for making him come all the way up the pitch for nothing.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Think you might have answered your own question there...

So, apart form the usual boll*x answers (see above for example) - nobody knows for sure since there are conflicting and multiple
answers on this thread itself.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7106381 said:
It refers to a particular set piece practiced that week in training

Is the correct answer.

Any signal obviously will correspond to a particular practised set piece.

Now it doesnt always follow that the many parts that execute that practice set piece execute it properly, therefore more likely it fails miserably, or at best gets a big oooooohh aaaaaaahhhhhh from the crowd whilst the failing player thumps the ground communicating to the crowd that he too realises that this was quite a poor effort for someone on £10 000 per week.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
So, apart form the usual boll*x answers (see above for example) - nobody knows for sure since there are conflicting and multiple
answers on this thread itself.
That was a legitimate answer!

I may not have conveyed it in a manner that you would have preferred but it did reflect my genuine belief that the only reason a player does that is to signify that the corner is about to be taken...honest.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
That was a legitimate answer!

I may not have conveyed it in a manner that you would have preferred but it did reflect my genuine belief that the only reason a player does that is to signify that the corner is about to be taken...honest.

Apologies Gull......I thought you were taking the p****

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Is the correct answer.

Any signal obviously will correspond to a particular practised set piece.

Now it doesnt always follow that the many parts that execute that practice set piece execute it properly, therefore more likely it fails miserably, or at best gets a big oooooohh aaaaaaahhhhhh from the crowd whilst the failing player thumps the ground communicating to the crowd that he too realises that this was quite a poor effort for someone on £10 000 per week.

The number of goals we've scored from corners in the last three years suggests we are not practising the set pieces very well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7106381 said:
It refers to a particular set piece practiced that week in training

They're either short or long though. Is it to just tell everyone it's going in the box?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Jesus, why would the signals be the same for every club, thats pointless, if each club used the same signals every team would know where to defend.

When I played at a fairly decent level we practiced and different signals would idicate different set peices.

also note players raise of the ball above their head, the kicker bouncing it before taking, or all agreeing pre match the first corner will attack the back post its pretty much self explanitry.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

What the hell does this mean? Please put me out of my misery.

At our level, and almost certainly every higher level also, the single arm thing is a gormless meaningless gesture for the benefit of the punters that is supposed to signify that the taker has a well-rehearsed-straight-off-the-training-ground delivery that the opposition will never fathom the meaning of. In real life, it just means he's going to hoof it into the box and hope to clear the first defender.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here