Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The game that was cancelled twice?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Anyone help me with this: a few years ago, I'm sure we had an away game, at either Bkackpool or Carlisle, that got cancelled twice in the same season - both times quite late on, when people had already made the trip up.

Can anyone confirm this for me, or am I going senile in my old age?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Halifax, called off as we we're halfway up the M1 on the Saturday, glad we weren't able to try and go to the rearranged, then called off, game again

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Halifax wasn't it?

Is the correct answer. Originally scheduled for Saturday April 7 2001, the Halifax Blue Sox rugby league team played a televised match on the Friday night which ruined the pitch (Micky Adams said in his programme notes that they watched the game and knew the match would be called off the next day).

It was rearranged for Tuesday April 24, but was rained out.

It finally took place on Thursday May 3.

All in all, that fixture seemed to be cursed from an Albion perspective. From the Argus the day after the game was finally played:-

Albion boss Micky Adams has saluted his squad strength following a stuttering start for his new coach.

A makeshift Seagulls side shrugged off another nightmare trip to Yorkshire in last night's goalless draw at Halifax, which ensured the home side are safe from relegation.

The team coach ran out of petrol on the way back to Brighton last week after the Halifax game had been rained off.

Albion axed the coach company and replaced them with London firm Dunn-Line for the rearranged fixture.

But a flat battery at Warwick Services yesterday afternoon meant the Seagulls' championship heroes had to push the coach so the driver could jump start it.

Halifax, called off as we we're halfway up the M1 on the Saturday, glad we weren't able to try and go to the rearranged, then called off, game again

Consider yourself lucky. I had the misfortune to get to Halifax the day before the first game for a weekend away with my wife and found it called off and then travelled up to the re-arranged Tuesday game with a mate and got to within 5 miles of the ground when they called that one off too.

I didn't bother with the third game. I'd lost the will by then.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here