Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Zealand - South Island

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
While it does sound as if 3 weeks is nowhere near enough time, we did both islands in that time (admittedly some parts were not visited), but we did everything and more than we originally set out to - see my two earlier posts.

It's a brilliant country to visit, you'll enjoy every minute!

I've already added your suggestions to my list of stuff to check out, thanks :thumbsup:

I'm sure we'll fill the time easily, without rushing.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
You're in for a treat.

Otago peninsula from Dunedin is great. In particular a trip to Sandfly bay where you can see sea lions basking on the beach. You can also spot penguins there too.

Another vote for Franz Joseph. We did the glacial walk which was a really great experience.

Abel Tasman also worth a visit.

And give yourself enough time in Queenstown. It really is a great spot. We particularly enjoyed the walk up Queenstown hill.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
yeah good thanks. miss a few things but life is a lot better here

Good to hear. Football's rubbish here. Have keep nudging Dunc to keep him awake.

:rolleyes::lolol::thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
NZ is about the same size as the UK. Driving times are a lot less per mile because of little or no congestion. Unless you have the misfortune of experiencing Auckland traffic.

Do they still drive at suicidal speeds? I spent time around Dunedin 20 years ago when I went for a job at Otago uni. Lots of single carriage roads and lots of bonkers overtaking. I have an abiding fondness for the South Island.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Do they still drive at suicidal speeds? I spent time around Dunedin 20 years ago when I went for a job at Otago uni. Lots of single carriage roads and lots of bonkers overtaking. I have an abiding fondness for the South Island.

I wouldn't say people drive at suicidal speeds, to many speed cameras around. But people down here don't appear to understand the concept of Defensive Driving.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I wouldn't say people drive at suicidal speeds, to many speed cameras around. But people down here don't appear to understand the concept of Defensive Driving.

I live in Kapiti and know of 3 speed cameras in the whole of the Wellington region . I have manged to get 4 speeding tickets though . Proper old school police with radar guns. Problem I find is nice wide roads with no parked cars its quite hard to keep to 50kmh

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
I've lost count of the number of speeding tickets I've had because of Speed Cameras, the most expensive ones have been on main roads outside of Auckland, they're every where.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
What a great thread. Mrs Shingle and I are actually flying into Auckland mid November and spending six weeks in NZ, three of them with my very successful restauranteur brother in Waipu, North Island, and then three weeks on South Island. Thanks for all the info and tips chaps.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
One of the best places i ever visited whilst in the mob. went there in 1979 on HMS Achilles. lost our 1st lieutenant (RIP) so had a month in Auckland then went to Napier and Christchurch and i think Dunedin. wonderful country wonderful people. would love to go again.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Blimey, I should really keep up to date on this thread more often. It seems half of NSC are heading out here. If anyone is in Christchurch on their holidays and fancies a cuppa my PM box is always open. Always happy to talk Albion, Sussex, and bonfire with people.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Blimey, I should really keep up to date on this thread more often. It seems half of NSC are heading out here. If anyone is in Christchurch on their holidays and fancies a cuppa my PM box is always open. Always happy to talk Albion, Sussex, and bonfire with people.

I'll be arriving in Christchurch in a couple of weeks; my wife thinks she's getting me away from football for a while...

Will be wearing my Albion tee-shirts, and listening for shouts of "SEAGULLS!!"

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Went there 12 years ago and absolutely loved it.

Christchurch - Franz Josef - Mt Cook Village. Then moved on to North Island.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
got my permanent visa today!! Happy times

Had our 2nd trip to the south island just after xmas (last year we went to Abel Tasman ) This year we did Queenstown with heli trip to Milford sound , stop on a glacier then a cruise on the sound) Then went to Wanaka and Kaikoura then scenic rail to Blenheim and a little plane back to our local airport in Paraparaumu . All obviously recommended.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Loved our six weeks in NZ, 3 weeks in North Island and 3 weeks in South Island, loved the Catlins, Milford Sound and Mt Cook, but surprisingly didn't go too much on Queenstown. Mrs Shingle threw herself out of an airplane over Queenstown and I haven't heard the end of it, that said, It's a beautiful place and great people, but I could never live there, too far from anywhere, and it aint blighty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here