Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rail Delays - Broken (literally) down train at Battersea

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
For those who are delayed coming home this evening, and/or love a good railway related cock-up, here is the cause. (Picture from Twitter)

CQumrtjWUAAj7bh.jpg

A coupling device between the coaches has (pretty obviously) failed, the train was luckily empty but is now stuck in 2 bits as the brakes have jammed on so disruption will last for a while.

I believe this emoji was made for things like this - :facepalm:

Southern are trialling slip coach working but didn't pick a good place or time to do it. The anoraks among you will know what I mean, commiserations to the commuters out there.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
And surprise surprise Southern staff have all gone into hiding at Victora.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Added 30 minutes to my journey tonight

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Judging by the picture, the broken down train is on the slow lines, so I don't know why it should be affecting the Brighton line. Fortunately I am staying at my flat tonight. When I got off at Clapham Junction, Platform 13 was rammed and the indicator board said a train was nearly an hour late. Even if they send the slow stuff down the main line, it shouldn't cause that heavy a delay. Hawk - any ideas?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Southern are trialling slip coach working but didn't pick a good place or time to do it. The anoraks among you will know what I mean, commiserations to the commuters out there.

Older anoraks.

I think slipping coaches went out with the sixties moderniation plan to have all multiple units, not locomotive hauled. Push 'n pull. ???

theboybilly

They would have had to block the Down Slow line (nearest the camera) to allow maintenance staff to deal with re-attaching the two portions of train, so everything will have had to use the Fast Lines north of Clapham Junction at some point. The points from Fast to Slow and Slow to Fast (in either direction) use the same track (ie only one train can use that portion of track at a time - a single chord if you will) so that a train crossing from Down Fast to Down Slow (or even carrying on into Clapham on the Fast) may be held up by trains crossing in the other direction. This unfortunately takes time and just adds to the congestion.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They would have had to block the Down Slow line (nearest the camera) to allow maintenance staff to deal with re-attaching the two portions of train, so everything will have had to use the Fast Lines north of Clapham Junction at some point. The points from Fast to Slow and Slow to Fast (in either direction) use the same track (ie only one train can use that portion of track at a time - a single chord if you will) so that a train crossing from Down Fast to Down Slow (or even carrying on into Clapham on the Fast) may be held up by trains crossing in the other direction. This unfortunately takes time and just adds to the congestion.

Whatever he said

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can you explain please Norman.

basically one line out takes out 6 as they shuffle about. what i dont understand is the length this issues take to resolve, especially something apparently simply mechanical. i saw an alert this at 15:00 but rocking up at ~1845 it was still delaying everything to Clapham, with about one train leaving out of 10 in 10-15 min. and yes, the managment no where to be seen and no communication on what/when/where anything will run, just perpetual "the 18.. train to .. is delayed". they need to do their "meet the manangers" only on days when there is problems, not Friday mornings.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

Older anoraks.

I think slipping coaches went out with the sixties moderniation plan to have all multiple units, not locomotive hauled. Push 'n pull. ???

or those with kids who watch Thomas the Tank Engine. Duck has slip coaches.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Was in the smoke for passport renewal yesterday & got caught in that. Crammed in trying to get out of Victoria.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
basically one line out takes out 6 as they shuffle about. what i dont understand is the length this issues take to resolve, especially something apparently simply mechanical. i saw an alert this at 15:00 but rocking up at ~1845 it was still delaying everything to Clapham, with about one train leaving out of 10 in 10-15 min. and yes, the managment no where to be seen and no communication on what/when/where anything will run, just perpetual "the 18.. train to .. is delayed". they need to do their "meet the manangers" only on days when there is problems, not Friday mornings.

:tumble:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here